Thread: Is this a bad decision?

Air Force Gym Rat

Is this a bad decision?

As I have stated before I am military and have access to a gym with nice equipment just about whenever. The problem is, EVERYONE is on a fitness kick due to the Airforces new fitness program. People come to the gym, sit on the equipment and talk, BS, ect. There are few people who come in there to hit it hard and get out. Plus the play NO music!! NONE!!

RIght outside base there is a little hole in the wall gym. I walked in there today and looked around. I LOVED the feeling I got from it. It was RAW...if you feel me. People in there banging weight out, yelling, working hard. It is not out of my way, they play good music, and the people just seem to be in there with a purpose.

Here are the downfalls. One it is 30 bucks a month or 75 for 3 mths. Second there are no showers. They have a dressing room, but the guy says he just cant afford to put showers in. This may sound nasty, but I work outside all day so from the time I leave the gym I am sweating this Humid NC weather, Plus I don't sweat THAT much when I just work out and no Cardio. Other than those two things I am pretty much set on joining for at least a month to see how it is.

Am I dumb? Should I just take advantage of the Air Forces Gym and put up with the BS people in there? Thanks for your opinions....
    My Journal

Oct 23, 2007
    Weight - 206 Bench - 285 Squat - ? Dead - 405

Go to the gym with atmosphere bro. That's worth $25 a month. Some people are lucky enough to provide all their own intensity, but there's something really good about training with other people who truly give a **** about what they're doing.
    Plus being sweaty and stinky is a good way to reaffirm your masculinity.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I don't know how you're doing $$-wise, but $30/month is not expensive for a gym. Lift there if you want, but I'd suggest you lift where ever you can find a good, strong, and dependable training partner. I couldn't give a **** about music.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I'm bringin sexy back lifter4life's Avatar
    You could always just save the money that you would be putting away for the monthly payment at the local gym and buy an iPod.

For me it would be a money decision. If I can get something for free that I would otherwise have to pay for and sacrifice something for. I would still go for the free thing.
    Last edited by lifter4life; 07-10-2006 at 11:53 PM.

Even better:

Sign up to the gym that cost $25 a month, work out really hard, and then continue to walk over to the other gym and use their shower (it's free right?), na?

Air Force Gym Rat
    Sensie...its not just about the music bro, its the whole atmosphere..I do need a partner, its just hard with my job.

Lifter...I have an IPOD mini....

Phil....Not a bad idea, but not quite that simple...they arent THAT close.

I think I will give it a shot 2marrow see how it feels.
    My Journal

Oct 23, 2007

If you find a good group to lift with at the other gym, then IMHO it would be worth it. Nothing will make you gain more than having intense, quality workout partners who know what they are doing.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

A good workout is worth a lot of money.

Screw the ChairForce atmosphere and hit it hard and strong if you can afford it.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Iron4Life
    Come on man!!! You are telling me there are NO air force gym rats on-base?? Man, I used to work for the airforce back in the early 80s.. on an air force base that had nothing but geeks... and there were still PLENTY of gym rats, pumping iron. Hook up with some of the mechanics... or find someone from one of the air force elite teams.. there has to be at least one of each of these on site.

And use your Ipod mini for tunes..

Save the money dude.. the atitude has to come from within.. not from the gym.. sorry to the rest of you guys.. but don't make it an excuse.

If one of those air force panzies is on a bench.. tell to stand up and spot you.. at least then he will get a WO.

Air Force Gym Rat
    Ok, I dont want you guys to get is misconstrued. I BUST my ass at the gym no matter where I am at. the 25$ a month is not that big a deal, honestly. I agree with everyone that I NEED to get a lifting partner, but it just sucks because I am having a hard time finding some one as committed as I am. I think I am going to give the hole in the wall gym a month, if I like it, keep going, if not just come back to the base gym, no harm no foul. Who knows, I might find someone there who will push me to new limits (thats coming anyways).
    My Journal

Oct 23, 2007

You DO NOT need a lifting partner. If you can't self motivate, you probably won't succeed over any prolonged period. They're nice to have, but hardly necessary.

Go into the air force gym, find a power rack, create a chalk cloud as dense as a sand storm, and lift heavy freaking weights.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Air Force Gym Rat
    Well OBVIOUSLY I dont NEED one. I havent had a steady Partner years. But I will disagree with you that having one who pushes you doesnt help you out. It does, without a doupt.
    My Journal

Oct 23, 2007

:withstupi

Surround yourself with like-minded, hardworking individuals and you will have better results. Besides, there are a few things you can't do on your own (unrack maximal weights on bench, spot, board presses, to name a few).
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle