Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifting Weights for Children

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    ok, i have first hand experience... typical football coach in middle school telling me to lift....messed up my shoulder(rotator cuff and collar bone). Stick to push ups and pull ups etc, body weight only... swimming is good too, a low impact entire body workout.
    And what if you had hurt your shoulder doing push ups? Would you advocate against push ups? One bad workout does not mean anything. We all have them at one time or another...unless you're just very fortunate.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 03-22-2007 at 11:59 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

uh, it was from benching, and it was correct,.... and i think multiple cortazone shots and surgery merits a title stronger than simply a "bad workout", although i was a combo between massive amouts of swimming and lifting young.. the point is that it is a kid, and they have a hard time understanding what injury from bad form means... i was shown and told the best advice, and if i would have followed it been fine, but i was a kid, and decided i knew more than anyone else, because thats what kids do, the first time he lifts alone it may not happen, but it is jus a matter of time before he pushes his own limitations, and that will result in a potential injury.... so play it safe and let him use his own body as a gym

Screw it...have the kid do Dog Crapp training and extreme stretching...

Last edited by BG5150; 03-23-2007 at 02:28 PM.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Children shouldn't lift weights...ever. Get him into other things and helping him stay active until he gets old enough to begin lifting weights. Football, soccer, martial arts, etc...
    this is exactamundo. let the kids play man...send em outdoors, team sports, hell i wish i even started martial arts at that age. keep them people friendly and not self centered lifters at that age.
    Currently Bulking
    10/06:150lbs---8.5% bod fat--------------------3/25/07: 170 lbs

8/25/07: 163lbs---------goal @ 185 by (5/1/08)

Lifts/Goals:
    -deadlift 370x6 (current 315)
    -flat bb bench 205x5 (current 185)
    -squat 265x6 (current rehab in knees, light legs)
    -lat p/u BW+50 x 6 (current 35x6)

Why can't he play sports AND hang w/ his dad at the gym?

PS: I'm surprised the gym management allows him on the floor...
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Why can't he play sports AND hang w/ his dad at the gym?
    Exactly. Some of you people make it sound like we're suggesting kids be put on the Super Squats program at 6 and Smolov at 10... Most kids I know that are active in sports, are active in 2 or 3 or even more - there's absolutely nothing wrong w. kids learning how to lift young.

...and if you disagree, my son will gladly take kettlebell to your ass.

A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

NITOR PROJECT Guinea Pig Joshua Davis's Avatar
    I'm right with you Johnny... My son can warp some gravity as well.

Video

Josh that video is awesome.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Man makes me wonder what my son would be like (if i had one with my gf) ... both parents were competition body builders (dad was Mr. NJ). It'd be a genetic freak thats for sure. Sweet vid btw. To the op - id say body weight exercises and light lifting is the way to go. I read somewhere a father had their son do like power cleans or some olympic lift since they were young with full intensity then when they were like 14 the father let the kid do some real weight and he was able to do some rediculous amount with perfect form.
    5'7

bench - 245 x 2
    squat - 315 x 5
    dl- 355 x 1
    goal - Bigger Faster Stronger

Josh, that video is really great - my favorite part is where you tell him "get mad at it!" The thought of that kid going "LIGHTWEIGHT BABY, SFW!" made me break out laughing.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    In physical education programs across the nation they (the almight unknown rule makers) suggest that they do exercises involving their own body weight (dips, inverted rows, pushup, chin ups, pull ups, one legged squats, step lunges)...Its great that kids wanna get in the gym just I beg of you please explain to them that the input (nutrition) is much more important that the output (exercise)