Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push Ups Everyday?

Banned

Push Ups Everyday?

Okay So I did a search & read up how most everyone around here didn't suggest doing push ups everyday, but they didn't really say "why".
    I'm currently traning myself for a year with hopes to be a navy SEAL and a lot of their requirments have to do with pushups and pullups, so I've been doing pushups and pullup sets at elast 5 times a day, even on my workout days.
    If I'm eating enough and still resting enough is it safe to say that doing pushups everyday (At least 100) wont be over traning? Or effect me negativly?

Right Now Im eating about 6000 cals a day and sleeping 9 hours a day so, I personaly dont think 100 pushups everyday will be a concern... But than again Im not very informed so I wanted your opinions.

Thanks Guys

I would just train normally and do pushups after a chest workout. I dont do pushups on a regular basis but when I started lifting back in november i could only do about 10. Just training chest and getting stronger on bench I can now do 10 sets of 20 without a problem. I got to about 60 non stop before i even broke a sweat.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Well do you understand why you shouldn't bench press every day?
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Banned
    Damn thats impressive actually lol..
    Last summer I could only do about 18 and feel tottaly exerted.
    Now after traning real seriously for about a year I can do 40 easily... The requirment is 42 in 2 mins so I think I pretty much got it but I didn't know if doing them every day would be degressive...

I guess I'll just start doing them on bench days...HOORAH

Good stuff. Yea you need time for your chest to recover. Im pretty heavy too and I was very surprised as to how easy pushups were after a few months of heavy chest training.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Isn't this, like, the fourth "push-ups every day" thread in the past month? If not, it certainly seems so.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Banned
    Yes it is^^ I addressed that in my first post though lol

im definately guilty of over-training sometimes, but if you are lifting chest regularly AND doing 100 pushups a day you are probably not giving yourself enough time to recover.

like many of the posts say above, once you build your bench..youll become a freak with pushups. also, mix your grips if you do continue your pushup routine, diamonds, standards, wide, mixed placement, chinese dip pushups.
    STEP UP TO THE (pullup)BAR.
    current - 155-160lbs, 7-8%bf

Goal(s):
    Bench - 2*BW
    DL - 3*BW
    Squats - 2.5*BW
    10 consecutive muscle-ups

Be a 175lb, 6%bf, cross-trained...FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Isn't this, like, the fourth "push-ups every day" thread in the past month? If not, it certainly seems so.
    It's not as bad as:

"how do I work my lower abs"
    "how do I work my lower/upper chest"
    "genetic complaints"
    "eating a ton and not gaining weight"
    "can't squat, deadlift, or bench..."

From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman- View Post
    It's not as bad as:

"how do I work my lower abs"
    "how do I work my lower/upper chest"
    "genetic complaints"
    "eating a ton and not gaining weight"
    "can't squat, deadlift, or bench..."

Or,

How can I put on tons of muscle, lose tons of fat while I'm bulking?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeetSkeet18 View Post
    Okay So I did a search & read up how most everyone around here didn't suggest doing push ups everyday, but they didn't really say "why".
    I'm currently traning myself for a year with hopes to be a navy SEAL and a lot of their requirments have to do with pushups and pullups, so I've been doing pushups and pullup sets at elast 5 times a day, even on my workout days.
    If I'm eating enough and still resting enough is it safe to say that doing pushups everyday (At least 100) wont be over traning? Or effect me negativly?

Right Now Im eating about 6000 cals a day and sleeping 9 hours a day so, I personaly dont think 100 pushups everyday will be a concern... But than again Im not very informed so I wanted your opinions.

Thanks Guys
    Im ganna give you a quick rundown. When you do a split routine, you work a certain muscle on a certain day. With this kind of routine, your muscles get extremely tired, and need a lot of rest. The rest you are talking about is sleeping rest, and while that does play a role, that is NOT the type of rest most people on this board are referring to. pushups are a chest exercise and pullups are a back exercise. If you work these muscle groups every day they WILL NOT get enough rest no matter how long you sleep. The kind of rest they need is a day (or two or three or four) off. In fact, if you work a muscle every day for a long period of time, chances are you will LOSE muscle mass, because the muscle will tear and tear and tear and will never have time to reform. So basically, the reason why most people say that any exercise every single day is bad is because you WILL NOT MAKE GAINS. I suggest that you do a pushups or chinups 1-2 days a week (you may do three days a week tops, just understand that this is risky because it is on the borderline of getting enough rest). Also, make sure that you do not do 3 days on 3 days off, always have ATLEAST 1 day of rest between workouts of the same muscle group, if not multiple days. I understand that you are on a timeline, and if you wish to not go by my advice that is understandable, just know what you might be promoting...

Theres my 2 cents.

Banned
    I do pushups, pull ups, dips, chins, etc.(all BW excercises) everyday. even on lifting days.

If you want to be able to do more pushups than sure do them, but unless you are a fledgling lifter you won't be receiving any significant gains from them.

Banned
    I would be doing them for stamina gains. Not to bulk..

Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    I would be doing them for stamina gains. Not to bulk..
    funny that you mention this now

idk much about that topic but it seems to me that you would have to bulk to some extent to gain stamina. Isnt higher reps better for stamina? somebody correct me if Im wrong.

Damn thats impressive actually lol..
    Last summer I could only do about 18 and feel tottaly exerted.
    Now after traning real seriously for about a year I can do 40 easily... The requirment is 42 in 2 mins so I think I pretty much got it but I didn't know if doing them every day would be degressive...

I guess I'll just start doing them on bench days...HOORAH
    Be careful doing it everyday. I used to do about 1000 pushups in an hour with either 10 sets of 100 or 50 sets of 20. Since I did that when I was younger, I can pop my elbows and they sometimes hurt. Now Im always careful when I bench or do anything with my elbows.

A lot of the SEALS is going to be endurance with swimming. Do you have access to a pool?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Banned
    Yes I do have access to a pool. I just need to learn how to do the strokes. lol..
    Was never big on swimming...Any recommendations?

Banned
    I love this guy^^^

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I actually want to get into swimming as well. But...the only pool around here is filled with 100 kids tainting the pool yellow every day. Not fun. =\
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Skeet, I alluded to this in your other thread, but I don't think you have realistic expectations about this whole SEAL thing. I admire your dedication, but you don't even know how to swim and you want to be a Navy SEAL?

Listen bro, sometimes life isn't 100% fair. Is the reason you want to be a SEAL because you have some glorified notion of how cool it would be to be a commando? You do realize if you fail the SEAL test, you are STILL required to finish your actual job as an enlisted ensign or whatever it was that got you there in the first place, right?

I think ya just need someone to tell it to you straight - its soooo much more than just pushups and pullups... I just want to make sure you're 100% clear on that.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    I actually want to get into swimming as well. But...the only pool around here is filled with 100 kids tainting the pool yellow every day. Not fun. =\
    Pee-water builds character.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti Sandwich View Post
    Pee-water builds character.
    Best quote ever.

Back on high school I was on the swim team for a year and somebody from the other team crapped in the pool while warming up in the diving well to "leave us a message". We just scooped it up and kept on with the meet. It takes dedication and a love for swimming to get past that. Just think about how much chlorine they put in there.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

If you can't swim or don't, pushups are the least of your worries, start training pushups when you can complete a 2 mile ocean swim under the alloted time.
    Last edited by seK; 04-03-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    If you can't swim or don't, pushups are the least of your worries, start training pushups when you can complete a 2 mile ocean swim under the alloted time.
    Exactly.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial