The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Injury from Shrugs

So today I was doing my last set of Barbell Shrugs... I was doing pretty heavy weight, for me, and on like my 15th rep I heard a little "pop" in my neck. It started hurting right away, and its been a few hours now and I can barely move my head.. It hurts like right where my back meets my neck. Ive had a couple injuries on my neck from football(pinched nerve 2x), but this isnt a pinched nerve(I dont think). Anyone ever have the same problem, know what this is, or know how to prevent it?

By the way, I try to do good form with shrugs. I dont bounce and I try to look up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Please don't tell me you were "rolling" the weight. I see this problem all the time in the weight room and by doing that you're just asking for problems. The correct form is to raise the weight (in a straight line) in a controlled manner almost as if you're trying to touch your shoulders to your ears.

If you've got your form down... Sounds like you pulled your trap muscle? Try RICE for a day or two and go see a doc if its not getting better. Also, in my opinion 15 reps seems a bit high.. but I keep my reps for everything low.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Wait, should you be looking up? I thought you wern't supposed to because everytime I did that I felt like I was cheating and I got large pains in my neck and not my traps. (It's also shorter ROM, right?)

Wannabebig Member
    No, Im not rolling the weight... straight up and down movement. And I always heard you were supposed to look up to prevent injury(could be wrong tho, didnt seem to help me much). But yeah, If I still cant move my head by monday im goin to the doc
    Height - 5'10"
    Weight - 210
    Bench - 315
    Squat - 435
    Cleans - 240

Wannabebig Member
    Just updating anyone who cares... So I posted this a few weeks ago.... neck was F'ed up... Went about a week, and when I could seriously, barely hold my head up I went to a Chiro... said I was lucky I didnt mess up any nerves, cause my whole neck was out of whack... he cracked it a bit it feels like 80% better, but it still hurts, which worries me cause im starting football in 3 weeks. I dont really wanna get an MRI or a X-ray cause im poor.
    Height - 5'10"
    Weight - 210
    Bench - 315
    Squat - 435
    Cleans - 240