Thread: Injury from Shrugs

Wannabebig Member

Injury from Shrugs

So today I was doing my last set of Barbell Shrugs... I was doing pretty heavy weight, for me, and on like my 15th rep I heard a little "pop" in my neck. It started hurting right away, and its been a few hours now and I can barely move my head.. It hurts like right where my back meets my neck. Ive had a couple injuries on my neck from football(pinched nerve 2x), but this isnt a pinched nerve(I dont think). Anyone ever have the same problem, know what this is, or know how to prevent it?

By the way, I try to do good form with shrugs. I dont bounce and I try to look up.

Please don't tell me you were "rolling" the weight. I see this problem all the time in the weight room and by doing that you're just asking for problems. The correct form is to raise the weight (in a straight line) in a controlled manner almost as if you're trying to touch your shoulders to your ears.

If you've got your form down... Sounds like you pulled your trap muscle? Try RICE for a day or two and go see a doc if its not getting better. Also, in my opinion 15 reps seems a bit high.. but I keep my reps for everything low.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Wait, should you be looking up? I thought you wern't supposed to because everytime I did that I felt like I was cheating and I got large pains in my neck and not my traps. (It's also shorter ROM, right?)

Wannabebig Member
    No, Im not rolling the weight... straight up and down movement. And I always heard you were supposed to look up to prevent injury(could be wrong tho, didnt seem to help me much). But yeah, If I still cant move my head by monday im goin to the doc
    Height - 5'10"
    Weight - 210
    Bench - 315
    Squat - 435
    Cleans - 240

Wannabebig Member
    Just updating anyone who cares... So I posted this a few weeks ago.... neck was F'ed up... Went about a week, and when I could seriously, barely hold my head up I went to a Chiro... said I was lucky I didnt mess up any nerves, cause my whole neck was out of whack... he cracked it a bit it feels like 80% better, but it still hurts, which worries me cause im starting football in 3 weeks. I dont really wanna get an MRI or a X-ray cause im poor.
    Height - 5'10"
    Weight - 210
    Bench - 315
    Squat - 435
    Cleans - 240