The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

I'm bringin sexy back lifter4life's Avatar

Trainer in Washington

Be ready to read a long post.

So, I recently was hired at a gym in Washington. I have been working there for about 1.5 months now and have enough clients to make around $300 a paycheck (I don't make dick right now). I am servicing around 25 sessions a pay period (pay period = 2 weeks). I will give a brief overview of the pay structure our gym uses. The base wage for my job is $7.63 (the minimum wage in WA) so most of the money comes from commission. I make 8% of the total cost of each session I train (this is the starting commission percentage for beginner trainers), so if someones buys 5 sessions for $299: for each session of the 5 I train I get 299/5*.08 = $4.78 added to my base wage (7.63+4.78 = 12.41). Besides that I also get commission from the packages of training I sell. So if I sell a 30 session pack for $1499 I get 20% of that which is $300 right there. I have yet to sell any sessions yet because I am still a rookie, so there is the possibility of making more money (the sessions I train right now are either people who had a trainer that quit/fired or people who bought training with their membership). I expect to eventually work up to a full-time trainer with time as I get more clients. The reason I am explaining this is because I was recently offered a job that pays $15 an hour with full benefits. This job is also full time with overtime so I can easily make above $2000 a month which would be good for me while going to school and stuff, but my concern is the type of work I have to do. The job that I was offered is actually a desk job for a wireless company so I would be answering peoples questions about their service and stuff. This sounds completely lame but the pay and benefits are very intriguing for me. Another reason why I am concerned is because at my current job I get the opportunity to meet people and socialize which is something that I am afraid I would be missing out on at the other job. Something else I dislike about being a trainer is the schedule. Right now I only have around 15 clients so there are some days where I am super busy and other days where I have like 1 person to train, and besides that I have a lot of down time between clients. Like I may have 1 client and 4pm and then another at 6pm so I have an hour to just sit there and scout women on the ellipticals, this doesnt sound too bad but some days the women are slim pickins in WA (someone on here can relate). Neither of these jobs are something I plan on doing for a career just a job to pay the bills and then some while I go through school.

I am seriously dying for help on this. Is there anyone that has ever worked a call-center job like this who could provide some more information about the atmosphere of places like that? Maybe I should stick it out as a trainer, get some exp and more certs then move to a better area like seattle or something? I could always do neither and go back to being a server, then become a bartender when I turn 21? ahhhhh so many questionsssss.

Maybe I should make a T-Chart...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

15 an hour with benefits is a GREAT job to have while in college.

Dump the training gig, or at least make it part time if you want. You'll get plenty of people interaction working in a wireless store.

Hell, go to work as a contractor trainer, and pick up clients at the wireless store. Jsut make sure to flex a lot while selling them Razr's..

LOL..I made $5.50 while I was in school, and I was a manager in a grocery store.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    15 an hour with benefits is a GREAT job to have while in college.
    :withstupi

It'll pay the bills, let you save up some $ for fun on the weekends, and help you finance school/get an education so you can make double that when you graduate. You can meet people and hit on girls on the weekends or whenever you go to the gym. This is an easy one - take the higher-paying job, no questions asked.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Banned
    I know people who work in call centers, if you don't mind sitting at a desk answering phones, and dealing with sometimes cool, but mostly dumb people - go for it. I'd take that over a ****ty paying job at a gym. Then again, I sell out really easily for a quick buck. Whatever makes you happy man. Keep your future in mind too, you are going to school which is probably for a career..plenty of time to make $..whatever the **** keeps you smiling dude.

It's a lot easier to go to school when you don't have to worry about how your'e going to pay for things. People are raising children on 15 an hour. Take the job.

5/3/1 Journal

Tech support SUCKS. The customers are all idiots and they're always getting pissed off. I just quit my job doing that with nothing else lined up because it sucked so hard.

Hey, I am from Washington as well. Is there any chance you work at Seattle's Mieko's Fitness. (The fitenss packages you explained are what Mieko's has.)

I work at a job just like the one you're talking about, and let me tell you...it...sucks...ass. I get anywhere between $8-10 an hour depending how well I do, and I want to shoot myself everyday. Work sucks ass. You better have lots of patience. I work 5 days a week for 9 hours a day.

(My exact job is research gathering--teleresearch.)

I turned down pretty much the same job as you last year. The money sounded nice, but after talking to some of the people who had worked there, I realized that I'd probably wish I was dead after about two months of working there. I wouldn't take the job, but that's just me.

Dang, it sounds like it may be too good to be true. I think I am going to hit this guy up for the interview and check out the place a bit to see what I would be getting myself into.

PhilsterT: I work up in Everett actually. I used to have a membership to the Meiko's up here though. The job I was offered is actually in Bellevue at a Verizon call-center. I guess it is also their entire corporate campus too or something.

Quote Originally Posted by lifter4life
    Dang, it sounds like it may be too good to be true. I think I am going to hit this guy up for the interview and check out the place a bit to see what I would be getting myself into.

PhilsterT: I work up in Everett actually. I used to have a membership to the Meiko's up here though. The job I was offered is actually in Bellevue at a Verizon call-center. I guess it is also their entire corporate campus too or something.
    DUDE..stop listening to these dolts, and listen to elwood..

I work for Verizon. I don't do what you'll be doing, but a job with this company is a job with this company. Take it. Keep it. Stay in the company if you can, and put in for promotions when you get your degree. There's literally something for everyone. The benefits are incredible. The company is uber-stable.

TAKE THE JOB..
    Last edited by Patz; 07-12-2006 at 04:24 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

You're right. The guy says theres lots of possibilities. I guess I just have trouble taking peoples words. Thanks for the confidence.

BTW. I am about to fall asleep from an uber-crappy day at the gym where 6/6 clients no showed me =O. bitches

What gym do you work at over in Everett? (Just wondering.)

My job is slightly different than yours, but you will need a **** load amount of patience with people. I get bithced out all the time on my job and I hate it to death. It's so boring and it's really hard on my back because we have uncomfortable workstations and it's 9-hours straight. Good luck.

lifter4life: How did you get the gym job? Are you certified in anything? I'd love to get a part-time gig as a trainer (I already have a good full-time job).
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I actually started out with nothing other than a few college nutrition/training courses and a resume. They put me through a 5 day class 9 hours a day which was actually lots of fun. The guy that taught it was awesome and had been in the training business for awhile. At the end of the class I had a 100 question test that was easy as cake. One of the trainers I went through it with didn't pass and he quit shortly thereafter. The class was very thorough and I did learn a few things I didn't know before. It was actually not much different than reading up on these forums. Of course, not all the information on here applies to average people who just want to be able to bend over and pick up their grandchildren, or see their toes =O, but it did have the same principles.

I'm not sure if 24 hr fitness is the only club that puts you through a class. I did apply to other gyms, though, before I was hired at 24 hr fitness and they did require a certification to be considered.

One thing I recommend if you want to get into training is finding a good area and a good gym. The problems I have here is nobody wants a trainer in E-town, Washington. Of course, it is good enough to have as a part-time gig. The guy that taught the class I went through was actually making 60 grand a year and his top commission was like 9 grand in one month training at 24 hr fitness in California. Of course you are looking for part-time so I guess that isn't so important.

So, my suggestion is to call up a few gyms around your area and start asking quesitons, then apply. I did that when I was looking and just asked basic things like if they put their trainers through a class or if you need a certification, also what certification would be preferable if you do need one.

Hope that helped at all mang. If you have any other questions I would be glad to answer.
    Last edited by lifter4life; 07-13-2006 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks for the info and advice. So just to clarify, the gym you applied to put you through the class? Did you have to pay for it?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Yes. Hellllll no. They payed me. suckers haha.