The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

I can't get my deltoids sore

How do you guys train your shoulders?
    I can't seem to get them sore.

my shoulder workout:
    4 sets side laterals
    4 sets barbell front raises
    4 sets of bent-over rows

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

bent over row is for the back
    upper chest freak

They don't need to be sore to be "worked". Try some overhead presses.

Soreness doesn't have anything to do with a good workout. It is not neccessary for growth.

Why do you not do shoulder presses?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Paul and I on the same page

"That's what happens when two people post at the same time"

bone crusher
    hmmm, i think you should drop the rows in favor of some OH presses

Wannabebig New Member
    this is what i've been using lately and i'm sore for a couple of days afterwards
    start off with 70 reps of side-lateral raises with a light weight just to get the blood flowing(used as a pre-exaust)
    then i go into bradford pressed which is like millitary presses and behind the neck presses in one...you lower the weight to your chin in the front and bring it up so that your arms are at a 90 degree angle(wrist and elbow) and the barbell is just barely over your head and bring it back to your back and lower it to the bottow of your earlobe and that is 1 rep...bring it back to the front the same way and that is rep 2...you get the point
    i do about 4 sets of that and increase the weight or you could drop sets...your preference
    then i go in and do maybe 2 sets of DB presses with as heavy as i can go
    after that you can go front raises and rear delt movements the order doesn't matter much, you may also want to throw in a set or 2 of side lateral raises here too
    finally to finish off, i do 5 sets of shurgs going up in weight and start with the first set up to 20 reps and then 12,10,8,6 and then i take alot of the weight off and just rep it out and that is it
    hope this helps some

How long have you been doing this routine for?

try changing your methods and going for heavier weight, lower reps - back to basics.

Wannabebig Member
    Aren't overhead presses for front delts only?
    I always thought that when you do bench presses, it already worked your front delts so I took presses out of my shoulder day
    Shoulder days are my worst days. I hate them

maxpain: That's sounds like a really good suggestion, I'll try it

Shocker: I've been doing this routine for a while. You could be right too. I think need more variety.

Thanks

Try this:

Find your 1rep max on dumbell presses.

Using 85% of that weight, do 3 slow sets to failure with medium tempo and perfect form and 1-2 minutes rest.

Immediately do 3 sets of side laterals slowly and pause momentarily at the top of the movement. (ie. don't throw the dumbells up)

Your rear delts should get enough workout on back day but if you want, you can do 1 set of bent over dumbell rows with your elbow out.

If that still doesn't work, you can experiment with higher intensity (drop sets, negatives, super slow) but not with every workout.

Check the articles at www.cyberpump.com for info on this.

Banned
    soreness is not really an indicater of growth, but if you really need to be sore then i suggest you slow the movements down.......

military press
    upright row
    side raise
    bent lateral raise

2 seconds to lift the weight and 4 seconds to lower should do the trick..........if not you could always ask somebody to punch you repeatedly in the delts, that way you`re sure to make them sore..........

Are you growing ? If your answer is yes, don't worry about the sore, if not, change your training.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    If you bench you don't need to do front laterals, it's just additional stress on your delts doing front laterals. Here's my routine:

Militaries: 8 6
    Laterals 8 6
    Rear Laterals 8 6
    Shrugs 8 6