Thread: Aching day after lifting weights

Wannabebig Member

Aching day after lifting weights

Alright, I'm not strong at all.
    I lift 2 15lb weights (with the bar, adjustable for more weights) and occasionally put 3 lbs on each hand and just punch around and do really fast motions

Anyway, I am 16 and just learned the rep concept this year in gym class and also the 48 hour rule.

So I lift weights and do some stuff with a bench that came with kitchen table. I do basic biceps, then I lay down on the bench and do like some. Then I have one foot on the ground and the other on the bench etc. As you can see, I don't know the proper names. Anyway I do about 3 exercises (3 reps each) in a day. Then the next day, I don't do anything. Like last week, my back ached really bad for 3 days or something. Then today it's the joint (ligament?) where the elbow is except its a piece of muscle that's hurting.

My dad claims that means my muscles are at work.

Suggestions?

Read everything on this site. You have alot of learning to do. Soreness is not an indicator of growth or progess. What are your goals, stats, diet, etc.

You need to get on a real program. Read WBB1 for a example of a good one.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    My goals are just to have a better physique, have a more fit body.
    My diet usually consists of cereal, sandwich then dinner which is either rice/spaghetti/, meat and vegetables and some snacks in between.
    My weight is 160, and I can't lie, I am slightly overweight.

WBB1, hm, is this on the forums?

Wannabebig Member
    Well I found out what dead lift is, they do it on the olympics. Problem is I have two 15 lb dumbells, and not a bar.
    Last edited by god008; 07-14-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by god008
    Well I found out what dead lift is, they do it on the olympics. Problem is I have two 15 lb dumbells, and not a bar.

If you want to get fit, you're gonna need more than what you currently have.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah I know I need all these. My dad doesn't mind but my mom's always afraid of weights and going to gym prematurely will stunt growth.

WBB1, hm, is this on the forums?
    Indeed, it can be found at the link below.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Yeah I know I need all these. My dad doesn't mind but my mom's always afraid of weights and going to gym prematurely will stunt growth.

If you CAN'T go to a gym, you can still get fit with a little creativity. For example here are some exercises:

(a) Decline push-ups. Place your feet on a sturdy bench or chair or piece of furniture, and do push-ups with your hands on the ground. (If you can not do these, do regular push-ups for a while until you can).

(b) Chins or pull-ups. Find a support beam, or something that you can do chins/pullups on. Again if you cannot do these or can only do a few, do assisted chins by resting your legs on something or using them to push up, or getting a friend to help.

(c) Dips. These can be done on benches, chairs or even a bed. Two things though. The benches and chairs MUST be of equal height and they MUST ( I repeat MUST) be strongly constructed. You do not want to fall and possibly injure yourself if they break.

(d) Wall squats. Place your back against a wall. Bend at the knees until you are in a sitting position (or as far as you can go at first). Keep your back straight. Hold for a 5 count and then stand up, stretch your legs and repeat. Start off with one set of 10. Sissy squats (Google) can also be used.

(e) Standing one-legged calf raises. Again you will need some kind of support to maintain your balance. Stand on one leg and go up and down on your toes. Then repeat with the other leg.

A well-equipped gym is the best choice. However even if you cannot go to one that does not mean you can't get big and strong. Google for other exercises that don't require weight. Do more reading on this site for additional information. Eat well and get as much rest as possible.

Wut??? 16 is definetly not to young to lift, at 16 your practically done growing anyways and lifting doesnt even stunt your growth. I'm also 16 and started lifting a year and a half ago and i continued growing in that time. I would hate it if i didnt start lifting when i did because ive come so far. So either get some weight, join a gym, or lift at your high school, and start doing squat bench deadlift and some other stuff and read around this forum and ask questions and you will learn a ton like i did.
    Last edited by rbar89; 07-14-2006 at 09:26 PM.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Wannabebig Member
    ^ Yeah, well I can use the gym at my high school. I'll ask the coach and see if I can use it sometime.

Thanks Anabolic, I'll copy down those and apply them tomorrow, but can I do those exercises and introduce my current 15lb weights in it?

I usually sleep at like 2 AM or something on summer days and wake up at 10. I also play a lot of games -_-.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    ^ Yeah, well I can use the gym at my high school. I'll ask the coach and see if I can use it sometime.

Thanks Anabolic, I'll copy down those and apply them tomorrow, but can I do those exercises and introduce my current 15lb weights in it?

-_-.
    (b) to (e) can be done with the weights you have (see below_

For (b) you can hold a dumbbell between your feet or attach it to a belt with a rope or chain (be careful with this latter method...think about it and you'll realize why.)

For (c) place one or both weights in your lap, prior to beginning the dip. (Again be careful here)

(d) Hold the weights in your hands while doing the wall squats.

(e) You can hang on to a support with one hand while holding a weight in the other for extra stress.

I'd recommend doing the exercises I listed without any weight at first just to get in the 'groove' and give your body a chance to adjust to these new movements. Later on as these exercises become easier you can add weights.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 07-16-2006 at 10:31 AM.

Occupational Hypnomania
    Most high schools have weight lifting classes, they usually call it strength and conditioning, maybe you can join it. It helps to learn correct form from someone who knows what they're doing before attempting things like squats and deadlift.
    Last edited by Turnip; 07-16-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah yeah I can take it 11th grade but dude the problem is its only .5 credits and its c1 versus a computer course which is 2.5 credits and is counted as honors. I'll see, I'm a sophmore, we don't have that opportunity till 11th grade.

Also Anabolic, I'm just using two stools for now. They're not that high and my upper body strength blows. I'll try to apply it when I get better though.

I can do all except the chin-ups, what do you call those things that you install for chinups. Two of my friends have it. You basically use your door entrance and fit it there.
    Last edited by god008; 07-16-2006 at 11:40 AM.

Gamer/Lifter
    Your mom is misinformed. You lifting weights at 16 will NOT stunt your growth.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117
    Your mom is misinformed. You lifting weights at 16 will NOT stunt your growth.
    Dude, your 16. Many people start lifting much earlier than that and they don't have any problems. Most of the biggest and strongest guys in the world started lifting when they were as young as 12 or 13.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle