Thread: New Workout And Advice

VA Guy

New Workout And Advice

Ok,
    I came here for advice and just did my first new workout as I have been advised my current workout which I have been doing for about 6 months has not been doing much. What i was doing is doing chest,arms (biceps and triceps), back, and shoulders once a week. I was doing about 5 sets of 10 exercises for each of these and doing about 5 different exercises except for arm day where i did 3 bicep exercises for 3 sets of 10 and 3 tricep for 3 sets of ten oh I forgot i started all of this by doing 100 pushups in sets of 20 to warm up.

My first workout today I passed on the pushups and what I would usually do with chest day is as follows:

2 sets of 10 flat bench 135
    2 sets of 10 flat bench 155
    1 set of 10 flat bench 165

5 sets of 10 50 lbs dumbell bench press

5 set of 10 incline 115 lbs

5 sets of 10 fly machine 40 lbs each side

5 sets of 10 seated bench pushout machine 120 lbs

New workout (Chest)

2 sets of 10 flat bench 135
    3 sets of 5 flat bench 205

3 sets of 5 incline 155

3 sets of 5 barbell bench 75 each

3 sets of 5 seated bench pushout 170 lbs

I completed the new workout in like 30 minutes vs 45 my old way. I still feel like I did not workout long enough or do enough exercises. Skipping the pushups gave me lots of energy going into the bench and did not think I could push that much weight. I am 5'11 195 lbs and am 37 yrs old by the way and look good but have a bit of a gut that needs work. I have been watching what I eat for the last few weeks and am really ready to go all out and want to loose about 15 lbs while getting leaner and think my workout have never pushed my strength but rather burned me in the amount of sets which I thought I needed to do as I want a lean and boxer look I thought heavy weights would get my heaver? Any thoughts here as I could use some advice and need to figure out a good back, legs, arm, and shoulder workout and know I need to stick to power moves like squats, military, things like this?

-Ray

Is that all your currently working out? Your upper body?

What's your diet like?

you don't work your lower body?

Your routine doesn't say much without working your lower, sorry.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

VA Guy
    I never did work the lower body as I bike and have defined legs and even though I am happy with this I am starting up squating and leg lifts and am trying to design a lower body workout that I will begin next week. As for the diet i dont follow a carb/protein/fat ratio but eat about 5 small things during the day. I start out in the am with a sausage and yogurt around 7:30 am then around 10:30 eat a turkey sandwitch on 7 grain bread then work out around noon then come back and eat some sort of protein at 1:30 like chicken breast, salmon, beef alone with green beans. I hit the Whole foods pre made hot bar where I grad this then around 4 I eat some fruit then dinner around 6:00 which is a premade dinner from diet-to-go which my gf gets which is like pasta, fish, chicken it is premade with a good protein/carb mix but very small portioned. Is this enough or not enough. Remember I am trying to loose 15 lbs not gain weight.

Iron4Life
    Welcome aboard Rich
    Have you taken a look at any of the programs we usually recommend?
    Might save you some time in trying to invent your own program.. and they are tried and true.. with a lot of successful folks on WBB using them.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/category.php?cat=4
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255

And you will find that we highly recommend squatting, DLs,Oly Lifts, GMs, Shrugs, lifting Heavy, Pullups, etc...

Lifting Heavy will get you your goal of being lean & mean..
    Good luck..
    Last edited by Bob; 07-14-2006 at 07:38 PM.

VA Guy
    Thanks,
    I still just cant get the low reps and low amount of exercises. Is this correct:

Routine Split and Exercise Selection (Part I)

Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : OFF

Day 7 : OFF

Each days workout would be like 30 minutes? Is this right? As my old workout I was there for about 45 minutes. I just cant get over working out for such a short amount of time.
    Last edited by rrich49132; 07-14-2006 at 07:52 PM.

Yes, the shorter time period is ok.

That routine looks just like WBB #1, so yes your sets/reps look good. Now about those legs. You NEED to work your legs, no excuses. I ride my (road bike) and still lift my legs. NOW if you compete or race I would say you could alter your leg routine, BUT still lift those legs.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

VA Guy
    I will follow the WBB #1 which I is what I posted. Is there a time period I should stick to this like 1-3 months and yes I will do legs as in this seems like a good start to this new way of lifting lots of weight low reps. How long should I stick to this 1-3 months? Also any suggestions as to a diet to follow as like I said as well I want to shed some weight and I am suprised how much weight I could push today at the gym as this was the first day of following a new workout.

Good choice! As far as how long to do WBB#1, thats really up too you. You could do it until you feel good about building your own routine. OR you could just make small adjustments to it to fit your new goals. This could be 1month to 2yrs. OR you could switch it when your progress stops. Then I would suggest the other WBB routines.

As far as diet goes, theres a forum for that here. TONS of great info. To lose weight you need to create a caloric deficeit (eating less than your burn). You create that by eating less than maintenance (~20% less) and heavy lifting, and some cardio.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

VA Guy
    Thanks I see you had some posts about Nitrean and the UD2. Can you tell me how you like the Nitrean as far as taste goes and what do you mix it with seems like a good product and a good way to get protein without spending $ on meat. Also how did the UD2 workout as you where starting it in June I think?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by rrich49132
    Thanks,
    I still just cant get the low reps and low amount of exercises. Is this correct:

Routine Split and Exercise Selection (Part I)

Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

Day 2 : OFF

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps

Day 4 : OFF

Day 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps

Day 6 : OFF

Day 7 : OFF

Each days workout would be like 30 minutes? Is this right? As my old workout I was there for about 45 minutes. I just cant get over working out for such a short amount of time.
    It's not time that matters. It's EFFORT. Most people can do 3-4 sets of squats for 10 reps with their twenty rep max weight. Very few can do ONE set of 20 rep squats with their 12-14 rep max weight without feeling like they may pass out afterwards.