The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Central IL strongman comp

The Lock up gym will host a strongman contest on Sunday July 16th in Taylorville,IL

Here is a link to the entry hope to see some of you there.
    http://ryanopower.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4172#4172

Wayne Prose

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Can you give us any more details about the scheduled events?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

What's up, Wayne! Fellow ILPL member here.

Guys: This will be a quality event. The Lock-Up guys are a fantastic group and they have a nice, hardcore facility from what I've heard. Taylorville is a little outside of Springfield and Decatur. There will be a few guys there from Illini Powerlifting (my team). I may make it, as well, at least to help out if not participate.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Can you give us any more details about the scheduled events?
    It says on the form that some of the events will be Farmers walk,Clean and press for reps, 18"max deadlift, and Tire flip.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Whats up Ryan? You should compete you would do well in the Light weights. We will also have a teen and womens class for the meet.

This meet is the first one we have ever done. We have had many PL comps at the gym and just wanted to try something different. The main goal of the meet is to get people together lift heavy stuff and have fun. The events are 18" Max DL (we have big tires/rims that fit on the bar it will look cool as hell), Farmers Walk (we will use plate loded handles), Clean and press for reps either log bar or actual log (not sure of weights yet heavy enough to keep someone from doing 50 but light enough to get 1.) We will end with a combo tire flip sled drag to finnish. Hope this helps if you have any questions e-mail me a waynep@lockupgym.com hope to see some of you there.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    It says on the form that some of the events will be Farmers walk,Clean and press for reps, 18"max deadlift, and Tire flip.
    Yeah, I saw that. The reason I'm asking for more specifics is that, quite honestly, I don't want to go and not be able to pick up the farmers walk implements, or not be able to flip the 900lb tire... I'm curious what level of competition is expected.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Yeah, I saw that. The reason I'm asking for more specifics is that, quite honestly, I don't want to go and not be able to pick up the farmers walk implements, or not be able to flip the 900lb tire... I'm curious what level of competition is expected.
    What class would you be in? the weights will be different for the classes. We are still playing with the weights but it should be light enough that most people that lift could compete easily. The tire will be around 500lbs not a huge one but still heavy.

Wayne

We are adding a new event for spectators the ryanopower.com bench press challenge!!!!! 225 lbs most reps in 5 min you can rest let go of the bar stand up puke whatever you want for 5 min. The entry fee is $10 the winner will get $50 and a meet T-shirt. Can you beat the ryano??????

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Is Matt Wanat signed up? If so, it would be worth a drive down there. Used to workout with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777
    Is Matt Wanat signed up? If so, it would be worth a drive down there. Used to workout with him.

Not yet maybe he will.

Also I added the weights on the entry farmers walk 165 for LW's 195 for HW's clean and press 185 for LW's and 225 for HW's.

Wow. That's heavy. I think I could hold the farmer's walk handles for about 10 seconds, and I think I could maybe do the clean and press for 2 or 3 reps. The 500 deadlift at 18 inches isn't too bad, more like doing rack pulls from the knees.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

interesting, how heavy for a 16 year old? lol.
    2000 or bust

Banned
    do u have to do every event or can u do individual...also is there a difference between 18" dead and a normal dead? private message me please

Quote Originally Posted by WyztaTrjnsFtbll
    do u have to do every event or can u do individual...also is there a difference between 18" dead and a normal dead? private message me please
    We are talking about letting people try an event after for a fee I am sure a lot of people will want to see if they can do it. The 18' deadlift is the bottom of the bar is 18" from the ground kinda like a rack pull. If I knew how to post pics I would show you what we are using.
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Wow. That's heavy. I think I could hold the farmer's walk handles for about 10 seconds, and I think I could maybe do the clean and press for 2 or 3 reps. The 500 deadlift at 18 inches isn't too bad, more like doing rack pulls from the knees.

You would be a light weight right? I think you are stronger than you think when you got the meet balls you can really push yourself. You should come down it will be fun

wayne

www.ryanopower.com

Hmmm... an 18" deadlift would be like a mid thigh rack pull for me haha.

Quote Originally Posted by waynedang
    You would be a light weight right? I think you are stronger than you think when you got the meet balls you can really push yourself. You should come down it will be fun

wayne
    I'm definitely going to try to be there. Sounds like a great time.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

here is the 18" DL. It is 18" to the bottom of the bar

www.ryanopower.com

Haha nice, that'd be like a 5" range of motion for me, which it was closer.

Heck, yeah. That's just like doing lockouts. I could do probably 7 or 8 with that I'd think.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by waynedang
    here is the 18" DL. It is 18" to the bottom of the bar

Holy sh.........

Please come to CA!
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

I finished the womens log today and it is cool as hell. I may try to get some pics up if anyone wants when I am done with all of them (4)

www.ryanopower.com

I was there watching, man. It was entertaining as hell. I would have competed if not for the $$$ thing. It was a well run meet and I commend you on it!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal