The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    I Like Lifting!!

Looking for a few opinions.

Hey everybody..I am probably one of the youngest guys on this forum but I will tell you a little about myself. I am 14 years old and weigh about 123 pounds, and I started lifting last year with my dad. We go to powerhouse, pretty much every day taking about 1 or 2 days off a week on average. When i started I weighed 100 pounds wet..alright. I am going into highschool this September and want to join the powerlifting team. I will probably compete in the 122 pound weight class but i just want an idea from you guys on how you think I will do. I will list what i can do for deadlifts, squats, and bench press since those 3 exercises are used when you powerlift. Any advice is appreciated and thanks for your time guys!

Bench Press: 145 for 3
    Squat: 205 for 3
    Deadlift: 225 for 4
    Total score: 575 lbs.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

We can't know how you'll do, other than you'll have made the leap to actually compete, which is an accomplishment in itself.

Show us what you can do.

If those are easy triples, I would open with those weights, assuming the meet is tomorrow. If it's not, then we couldn't possibly know where you'll be.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Those are strong numbers for someone your age, keep at it and you will be very strong
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

Considering your age, bodyweight and experience, those numbers are fantastic. And you're not even close to your strongest. You're muscles are going to mature and get even stronger. Plus your testosterone level is going to get nice and high. So stick with it and I'm sure you'll be a great powerlifter. Hell, you're almost deadlifting double your bodyweight--that's impressive. Just train smart, and listen to your body; your tendons aren't at their strongest point yet, so try and stay injury-free. Great start!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I agree with these guys.

Good luck with it and let us know how your training goes.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I Like Lifting!!
    thanks for a couple opinions..anything else? any advice or anything from any of the experienced older guys?

Those numbers are awesome for somebody as young as you.

What does your routine look like now? You said you are only taking off 1-2 days a week. just curious as to what your split is and if there is any special training cycle you are following ex: Westside, Metal Militia, 5x5 etc etc
    MONSTER MODE

Keep it simple. Lift heavy and eat big. Get plenty of rest. Ask questions and learn as much as you can. You're getting a good, early start and you're in the right place to learn about training.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I Like Lifting!!
    Thanks for the replies...my routine goes something like this..
    Sunday Legs: I start with squats doing about 6 sets..warmup with 105 for 12, then i do 135 for 10...then 165 for 6-8...then 190 for 4...then 205 for as many as i can..usually 3..then i do some hack squats and get tons of reps with down sets..followed my calfs and leg extenstions with a hamstring machine.
    Monday Chest: Flat bench warm up with 75 lbs. for 12 then go to 95 for 10 then 115 for 7 then go to 135 for 5 and do 145 for as many as i can..usually 3 starting to get 4. Next i do 4 sets of decline for reps. Next i do Incline 3 sets for reps. Then flat dumbells for 3 sets..of 10 reps..then i do some pushups and light flies. Thats my chest workout.
    Tuesday Shoulders: start with seated military presses starting with 75 lbs. for 10 then i go to 95 for 7 then go to 105 for 4 then go to 120 for as many as i can usually getting 3 or 4. Next i do shoulder presses with dumbells usually using 35s for 2 sets then 40s for 1 set of 6. Next i blast them out with 4 machines and i am done with shoulders..
    Wednesday Usually a day off..
    Thursday Tris and Bis I start with dumbells behind the head for tris usually doing about 10 reps with 35s to warmup. then i use 40s for 8..then 50s for 6 and 60s for about 4..after that i do a downset with 50 for 10 reps then a downset of 40s for about 12 reps...next i do some tri machines and then i start bis...i dont really know any exercises for bis besides dumbell curls and straight bar curls but i do the best i can to fill them up..i also use a cable machine to pump them up.
    Friday Deadlifts and Upper Back Start with 105 for 10..then go to 130 for 10 then 155 for 8 then 185 for 6 then 205 for 6 then 225 for as many as i can..next i do lat pulldowns and some other machines but i need some work on my back so any advice on workouts there?
    Saturday Day Off

I do a lot of reps and sets when i workout which i think is good...but i would like some critique on my scheadule. Keep in mind i have a spot for most of the sets..im looking for new workouts or any ideas to help me get stronger. Thanks ahead of time guys.

I Like Lifting!!
    i just hit 155 for 2 on the bench baby!!!

Holy **** you are doing a TON of work!!! I bet you are doing about 3 times as much work as I do!!!!! On Chest I'm willing to bet it is probably over trained that is alot!!!! Back movements definatley needs some work.

First off what are your goals? Do you wanna compete or just increase your bench,squat and deads just for the sake of saying there big? Are you wanting to add a lot of mass? I dont think you wanna lose weight

Let me know what your goals are and we can go form there. From what i'm looking at it seems alot like a Bodybuilding routine and you are trying to pack on size. If that is the case we need to stick to the BASICS nothing fancy smancy, just HARD BASIC HEAVY MOVES!!!!

Get back at me!!!!

Wolfy!!!!!
    MONSTER MODE

I Like Lifting!!
    thanks for the reply wolfe...i think your a cool dude and your strong as hell. well i definetly dont want to lose anymore weight im trying to put on some mass and solid muscle.im gona be a freshman in high school so i want to compete on the powerlifting team. I am trying to get my squats deads and bench all up so i can have decent numbers for competition. and yes my back is lacking i need some workouts for that if you can help out...thanks man

powerhouse i introduce to you Barbell Rowing.
    If your back is lagging include BB Rows. They rock my socks! lol
    And damn man, 120lbs on shoulder press, that is damn impressive at your weight and age.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

powerhouse email me at bigbadwolfe800@yahoo.com

Wolfy!!!!!
    MONSTER MODE

I Like Lifting!!
    thanks for the replies..check your email wolfe..

Wannabebig New Member
    You never mentioned the 165 lift...CONGRATS!!!