The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Gastric bypass surgery

Does Gastric bypass surgery simply reduce hunger? It makes your stomach smaller, giving you the feeling of being fuller sooner, right? A caloric deficit would do the same wouldn't it?
    If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
    Steroid Info Click Here
    The Truth About Steroids (Video) Click Here
    Rules for Women to Follow (Video) Click Here

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Its for those too lazy to make an effort
    Last edited by Jinkies; 07-16-2006 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    Its for those too lazy to make an effort
    I wouldn't say that. There are people out there that probably need it for medical reasons. I'm just wondering if that's all it is...a way to make you feel fuller sooner. Or if there's something else to it.
    Steroid Info Click Here

I believe it also makes you feel sick if you eat foods that are high in carbs or fat (something like that?). I seem to recall reading about it once and thinking 'why the hell would someone want to give themselves a condition similar to what I've had, and has made me miserable, my entire life?'

Gastric bypass surgery makes the stomach smaller and allows food to bypass part of the small intestine. You will feel full more quickly than when your stomach was its original size, which reduces the amount of food you eat and thus the calories consumed. Bypassing part of the intestine also results in fewer calories being absorbed. This leads to weight loss.

Gastric bypass surgeries may cause dumping syndrome. This occurs when food moves too quickly through the stomach and intestines. It causes nausea, weakness, sweating, faintness, and possibly diarrhea soon after eating. These symptoms are made worse by eating highly refined, high-calorie foods (like sweets). In some cases you may become so weak that you have to lie down until the symptoms pass.
    Edit: It's interesting to note that Sigstad's dumping diagnostic index (a score of 7 or more indicates a high probability of having dumping syndrom) rates me as follows:

Shock: +5
    Unconsciousness: +4
    Desire to Sit or Lie Down: +4
    Weakness: +3
    Dizziness: +2

A nice and healthy 18. Hmm.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 07-17-2006 at 05:51 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

OK. That's the part I was wondering about, whether or not it absorbs all the calories and such. I guess that would be cool for cutting, but a damn hard time for bulking. I ask because I've seen a few celebrities that have had it done, and wondered if something else was done as well ie. fat removal
    Steroid Info Click Here

You would so want to shoot yourself trying to bulk with a gastric bypass if it produces symptoms anything like mine on a regular basis.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 07-17-2006 at 05:54 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Y0yo
    Does Gastric bypass surgery simply reduce hunger? It makes your stomach smaller, giving you the feeling of being fuller sooner, right? A caloric deficit would do the same wouldn't it?
    It's not just that your stomach is small and therefore can't have as much food in it. You've also essentially taken out a huge chunk of absorptive material. Your body is absorbing less nutrients. Folks on gastric bypass surgery usually have to take a series of supplements to make sure they get enough essential nutrients in their bodies. They also have to space out their meals because if you eat too fast or have 1 big meal you tend to get sick. This helps on multiple accounts...first it limits your food intake, and second several small meals as opposed to one big meal tend to boost the metabolism.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.