The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Web Content Management

Hey guys, I know there are some web dudes here, along with programmers, so had a question on this.

I setup a pretty simple web page for our team at my company, and there are usually weekly or more frequent updates that need to be made.

It's easy with frontpage if you want to publish things to single servers, unfortunately, any change we make, needs to publish to 6 or 7 different servers.

I'm just wondering, if it would be worth it, or possible, to setup something where all these files reside in a database or whatever, and the website would just reference this. So we would make changes to individual files or whatever, and it would automatically be shown on our site?

I spoke to one guy and he said there are applications that handle this, just wondering if any of you know what those would be? Also, would I need to learn some kinda language to do this? ASP? PHP/MYSQL? I don't mind learning a new skill, just want to make sure it's going to do the trick first.

If there are alternate suggestions/solutions feel free to suggest those as well. We have some money, but this isn't a huge budget type project. I wouldn't even bother, other than figure it would be cool to do and add to my skillset.

Thanks.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How come you have to upload your page to several servers? =\

Anyway, you hit the nail on the head with PHP/MySQL (best script/database combo you can find). It's not exactly "easy" but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.

Basically you can have a field in the sql database that is called "news" or something. And you can just enter your whole blurb in there, and then save it. Then on the php page, you just have the page (the php part) reference the first record of the table. In your case, it'd be news. So it would automatically reconnect to the database, anytime anyone loads that webpage.

Hmmm..ok, that is what I'm looking for, although, it's more than just "blurbs".

It would be things like charts, excel files and whatever else, like images etc.

I've been told that you can pretty much run all the content of a website from a DB, so I'm wondering if this works for any type of content.

How much work would learning PHP/MYSQL be? I have limited programming exerience. Long ago did a bit of work with Java, VB Script, and have used SQL for 7 years now. Is it OO? Or more 3rd gen language like SQL?

Anyway, thanks!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

FrontPage...yuck.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Yeah, php and mysql is the way to go. I've had a little experience with both, along with some other languages (Assembly, C/C++, Java, Linux shell scripting). You can use OO code with php if you want to, but you don't have to. If you're looking for a decent tutorial, check out http://www.tizag.com/phpT. Hope this helps.

What your looking for is a cms (content management system). One can be coded with php and use a mysql database to store information. You will also need to know html and css (makes things a lot easier). Recently in the past 2 months I have coded two different cms's. One was for a concrete company to manage employee's and equipment. The other was for a brokerage company to managed agents and loads etc. It included access levels (one for the admin and other for the agents), all passwords were md5 encrypted, used sessions and cookies etc. Tell you what, hit me up with a pm and I'll see if I can help or assist you.
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 07-17-2006 at 04:48 PM.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

we use RedDot here.

it's alright, but I think a full-blown CMS might be overkill for your purposes.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Having *everything* in a db is just silly. Static content should not be going there. Set up a crontab that execs rsync across your servers at regular intervals...problem solved.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 07-17-2006 at 07:18 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Blood&Iron
    Having *everything* in a db is just silly. Static content should not be going there. Set up a crontab that execs rsync across your servers at regular intervals...problem solved.
    Err..didn't mean EVERYTHING, I guess I meant everything that would change on a weekly/monthly basis.

Thanks for the help, I'll read up on this stuff when I have time and send you a PM Dan.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Regardless to what some people may say/believe, a cms would be perfect for you. It would allow you to have an admin panel (that you could assign different users, with different access levels) to update information etc. You could also add pages via the admin panel. It all depends on what you need it to do. Then the page(s) would connect to the db and retrieve the information you want to be displayed. Therefore you wouldn't need to edit each page every time something needs to be changed.

for what it's worth, Office 2007 is supposed to have a robust content managment piece to it.

You can play with the Beta (via a web browser) on microsoft's site.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I'd spoken to a sales rep for red dot, but now it's looking like we aren't really going to need a CMS.

The only real issue that I need to look into, and hopefully somebody knows an easy way to do this, either software or whatever, is publishing to the web servers.

So as I said previously, need to publish to 6 servers for changes to go through. Is there any software that automates this piece at all? Or is it fairly simple coding to create some form of macro in frontpage or wherever else?

Any help would be much appreciated again.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 08-15-2006 at 07:25 AM.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I'd spoken to a sales rep for red dot, but now it's looking like we aren't really going to need a CMS.

The only real issue that I need to look into, and hopefully somebody knows an easy way to do this, either software or whatever, is publishing to the web servers.

So as I said previously, need to publish to 6 servers for changes to go through. Is there any software that automates this piece at all? Or is it fairly simple coding to create some form of macro in frontpage or wherever else?

Any help would be much appreciated again.

Thanks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

What exactly will you be updating? Just content on pages etc from time to time? Then have an option to add page's and links etc? I think the best way to go about this would be a simple php script. Skills needed would be php, mysql, html, css and maybe some ajax. Really, this is something pretty simple. I could have something like this done within a day working on it on and off. As a matter of fact, I've already got several cms systems made that could be easily modified, so it wouldn't even take that long.