Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anaerobic Conditioning to Aerobic Conditioning

Anaerobic Conditioning to Aerobic Conditioning

I've been wondering for some time now about the correlation between Anaerobic capacity and Aerobic capacity. For example, most of you know I do a lot of Anaerobic conditioning for my grappling. I haven't ran more than 2 miles in quite a long time. I went and played soccer with the highschool's team just recently, and absolutely smoked everybody. After two hours of soccer I felt fresh, easily could've gone much longer. Question is, what correlation is there between the two, and as my Anaerobic capacity increases, does my Aerobic capacity increase as well?

Discuss.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Damn straight. HIIT improves everything that steady state improves, but has none of the drawbacks (muscle loss, strength & power loss, etc).
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Yes. This is well known. Start doing some reading, slacker.

E.g. The Tabata protocol testing showed greater increases in VO2 max for subjects performing Tabatas 5x a week (for a total of only 20 minutes a week!) than subjects doing cardio for 1hr a day 5x (5 hours per week).

The best reason for most athletes to perform long, slow cardio is to condition body parts other than the cardiovascular system, such as connective tissue. I wouldn't want to run a marathon without a lot of LSD for this reason.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Thanks guys.

Mix, since I need to read, anyway you can link me to the study you were referring to?

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Good read.

Do ya'll feel that anything can be used with the Tabata principles (squats, pushups, chins, jumping jacks, sprinting etc etc) to increase VO2 Max, or would it have to be something along the lines of running, swimming, cycling?

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Good read.

Do ya'll feel that anything can be used with the Tabata principles (squats, pushups, chins, jumping jacks, sprinting etc etc) to increase VO2 Max, or would it have to be something along the lines of running, swimming, cycling?
    Yes, you can do almost anything.

The key is for the activity to have short cycles. A clean and jerk probably isn't great because it takes 4 or 5 seconds for each cycle.

Crossfit's tabata this is a full tabata for each of: pullups, situps, pushups, and BW squats. 16 minutes of hell.

Good deal. Thanks Mix. Guess you're good for something other than making me feel big.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Good deal. Thanks Mix. Guess you're good for something other than making me feel big.
    Oh snap. If I ever need to lose I fight, I'll be sure to lie down and let you drop a lightweight kettlebell on my leg for reps.

Could Tabata be used with something like punching a heavy bag?
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

Of course, but I would probably link it with other exercises so you work your entire body.

So say Tabata Punching Bag, Body Weight Squats, and Situps?
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

squats, chinups, punching bag, situps ... that would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    squats, chinups, punching bag, situps ... that would be fun.
    what about sprints, situps, punching bag?
    By Any Means Necessary

"The Best thing god can give me is enemies" rodrigo gracie

"Pain, I like it rough, Cause I'd Rather feel pain than nothing at all" Three Days Grace

"act like a man, f--k like a man, fight like possessed."

Sure ... mix it up, try it out, see what makes you want to puke and what doesn't. Sometimes what looks easy on paper is killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Sure ... mix it up, try it out, see what makes you want to puke and what doesn't. Sometimes what looks easy on paper is killer.
    lol got the sprints/ situps/ punching bag from my muay thai class..lol. usually end up feeling sick to my stomach, even when not winded that bad.
    By Any Means Necessary

"The Best thing god can give me is enemies" rodrigo gracie

"Pain, I like it rough, Cause I'd Rather feel pain than nothing at all" Three Days Grace

"act like a man, f--k like a man, fight like possessed."

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Yes. This is well known. Start doing some reading, slacker.

E.g. The Tabata protocol testing showed greater increases in VO2 max for subjects performing Tabatas 5x a week (for a total of only 20 minutes a week!) than subjects doing cardio for 1hr a day 5x (5 hours per week).

The best reason for most athletes to perform long, slow cardio is to condition body parts other than the cardiovascular system, such as connective tissue. I wouldn't want to run a marathon without a lot of LSD for this reason.
    This is interesting and how do you do that? Could you give examples please?

Quote Originally Posted by TooShortBabe
    This is interesting and how do you do that? Could you give examples please?
    Tabata HIIT is 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds rest, repeated for a total of 8 intervals (4 minutes). It works best with full body movements like sprinting, squats, thrusters, etc.

Anthony, when doing Tabata with more than one movement For example you do the 4 minutes of work with squats and then you move on to chinups do you take a break before starting each movement or do you just keep going so it would turn into 8 mins or work instead of two 4 mins sessions? Sorry if this is confusing

It depends how much pain you want.

Crossfit's tabata this is 4x tabatas with no breaks between them.

16 minutes, exactly.

That sounds rough, i tried this the other day and was gased even with a two minute break between each movement

"Tabata This" is 5 movements with 1 minute break between exercises.

"Tabata Something Else" is 4 movements with no breaks.

Both suck!

I was thinking of doing this more often on my off days. I've done a Sunday session a few times and I loved it. My current modified routine has deadlifts or squats every session, though, so how would doing the thrusters between lift days (for example) affect things?
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    I was thinking of doing this more often on my off days. I've done a Sunday session a few times and I loved it. My current modified routine has deadlifts or squats every session, though, so how would doing the thrusters between lift days (for example) affect things?
    If you're doing light weights for high rep anaerobic work, it should not have a very significant negative effect on your lifting. It may even have a slight positive recovery effect.

It could affect things a lot, depends on your work capacity.