Thread: Substituting DB rows for BB rows

Wannabebig Member

Substituting DB rows for BB rows

Howdy,

Here's my question - I've been kinda, sorta following WBB#1; however because I apparently cannot read I just realized that the rows I am doing (and have been doing for 8 weeks now) are DB rows and WBB#1 specifies BB rows.

When I tried BB rows it seemed like I could move less weight with worse form and I realize that this may be due to my lack of any experience with this exercise. So my question is:

1. Should I switch from DB rows to BB rows?

I'm doing my DB rows with 1 knee on a bench, 1 hand on the front of the bench. I pull 1 DB up to within an 2-3 inches of my chest and then let my arm return to a fully extended position. I do 2 sets of 6 reps. I'm using a 65lb dumbbell. After each set - I switch hands/knee.

With a BB of 100lbs I had some difficulty maintaining any sort of form and had difficulty getting the bar up to my chest.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

DB Rows are great. It's not a big deal if you're doing db or bb, as long as it's an upper back movement. If you like them, keep them.

I personally prefer db to bb, when it comes to rowing.

At the same time, if you're getting a couple sets with 65's, you're in about the right place on the barbell. Once you get the movement down with the bb, you'll probably be i the 125-135 range for a few reps. It also depends on whether it's traditional, or upright bb rows.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I started off on BB rows at 95lbs and they were hard!

It doesnt really matter, you dont have to follow any routine exactly. If you like the DB rows, keep doing them.

My favourite way to do rows is with dumbells with my chest on a bench at 45 degrees. Just be careful getting in and out of position.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I find BB rows to be more of a compound movement whereas DB one-arm rows on a bench are more of an isolated movement. Could be wrong.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    I find BB rows to be more of a compound movement whereas DB one-arm rows on a bench are more of an isolated movement. Could be wrong.
    They're both compound.

If you're weak on BB rows, you need to work on them. Do not avoid lifts just because you are weaker at them or you'll have some horrible weak points down the road.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 07-19-2006 at 12:12 PM.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU
    They're both compound.

If you're weak on BB rows, you need to work on them. Do not avoid lifts just because you are weaker at them or you'll have some horrible weak points down the road.
    I guess you're right since the overall arm movement remains. However, there must be a difference considering BO BB rows you are standing up, bent over holding the weight with your posterior chain, whereas with one-arm DB rows your body is supported by your knee and hand on the bench. Maybe like the seated shoulder press vs. standing mili debate?

Couldn't you do both bb rows and db rows? Or is just one of these exercises sufficient