The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

15 - 20 lbs in 8 months? Is that possible?

I've been working outside for the past 6 months (and I have 1 more month to go) and I've lost a lot of weight and strength. I've been working in bush doing soil sampling where we basically hike, at a very slow pace, and dig small holes all day. I haven't had access to a gym because of where I have been living. Anyways, as a result of all this, I've become quite skinny and weak.

I'm going back to a new university this fall with a very light course load which will leave me a lot of free time. I want to get back into shape badly. I won't know very many people at this school and I'll be living off-campus so I plan on getting involved in a lot of different sports and activities. Some of these will probably be counter-productive to gaining weight but I think I've set a fairly realistic goal for myself.

I'm about 5'9 tall and would like to get up to 170 lbs. I weigh around 150 lbs right now. I'm going to start my workout routine in September when I go back to school and I would like to have reached my goal by April 2007 when the school year is done. That works out to about 2.5 lbs a month. I think that should be possible but I'm not sure.

I don't have a very big appetite so I don't want to shock my body at the start. I want to start off eating around 3000 cals a day and see where that takes me. I figure I can adjust as needed. I'll be living off-campus and cooking all my own meals so eating the right foods and eating healthy won't be a problem at all. I already eat really healthy, I just don't eat nearly enough.

So, what do you guys think? Is this possible?

What routine should I be looking at? I've lifted a lot in the past before and I've never had good luck with a WBB1 style of routine. I have trouble pushing myself really hard so I find I need a bit more volume. I've always had the best luck working every muscle twice a week.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleman

I'm about 5'9 tall and would like to get up to 170 lbs. I weigh around 150 lbs right now. I'm going to start my workout routine in September when I go back to school and I would like to have reached my goal by April 2007 when the school year is done. That works out to about 2.5 lbs a month. I think that should be possible but I'm not sure.

I don't have a very big appetite so I don't want to shock my body at the start. I want to start off eating around 3000 cals a day and see where that takes me. I figure I can adjust as needed. I'll be living off-campus and cooking all my own meals so eating the right foods and eating healthy won't be a problem at all. I already eat really healthy, I just don't eat nearly enough.

So, what do you guys think? Is this possible?

What routine should I be looking at? I've lifted a lot in the past before and I've never had good luck with a WBB1 style of routine. I have trouble pushing myself really hard so I find I need a bit more volume. I've always had the best luck working every muscle twice a week.

Yeah, eat big and squat/DL every week. If you need to up the volume on your routine thats fine. The key here is going to be diet, given a resonable amount of calories 2.5lbs a month for someone your level of experience is not an unreasonable amount of weight to gain. I would suggest finding out your mainteance calories, bumping it up about 3-400 higher than that and then build a diet based around that. Any significant weight gain is going to stem from what you eat, the weights are simply an accessory to facilitate that growth.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.

This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

Definitely possible. I'd use a full body routine 3x a week or an upper/lower split 4x a week.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

You can do it in even less time than that.

I was at 197 in December last year, when I fractured my finger. I lost weight over the next six months, down to about 188-189. At the end of April I got the go-ahead to start working out again, so I started back up on May 1. As of today I'm at 216 lbs. That's about 28 lbs in less than three months. If you're wondering if I put on a lot of excess fat, I don't know my body fat (before or after) but from what I see in the mirror I haven't gained much fat at all. I still feel quite skinny (I am about 6'5") in fact, and feel like I could probably keep bulking to 245 without needing to worry about cutting.

You can do it man, you just need to eat like it's your job.

yeah dude for sure! 10-20 in 8 months is nothing! train and eat!
    2000 or bust

Thanks guys,

Good to hear that it's possible. Definately gives me some motivation.

Anthony,

I was thinking of either a full body 3 times per week or an upper/lower split. I'm leaning towards a full body routine as well. Do you have any links to a good program I could check out?

There's a nice one by Rippetoe floating around, just search the forum for his name and you'll find it. You could also look into a single factor 5x5 (do a search on Bill Starr). I like both a lot.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310