The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Shaking in legs after workout

Hello,
    I just did my leg workout today that consisted of squats, leg press, exts, and calf raises. Afterwards, I went to go get some water and I had to bend my legs a little bit and they started shaking uncontrollable. I had to straighten my leg up to stop the shaking. Is this a sign to stop lifting my legs or normal? I am a little bit concerned.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Learning as I progress
    ummm, i know my legs get wobbly sometimes after a workout so i walk wierd and try to keep my legs staight. How long has this been happening? Did you do some excessive leg work today?

If you are concerned take it light next time and if it still happens see a doctor.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Well, I just started a split routine which I have never done before. I am use to full body workouts so maybe it's because I've never been doing so much work on just one muscle area before. I'll take it easy next time.

It's probably just fatigue from the workout. Heavy squats + leg press is pretty tough.

Now, be like me and do what you did, then do have SLDL, followed by Good Mornings, then weighted situps..lol

Legs day is brutal lately..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I do 20 rep squats followed by good mornings, and hack squats. Then pull throughs and some weighted ab work once I'm able to walk again (after the trio of squat/gm/hack I have to go to the locker room and sit quietly for 5 minutes for my legs and back to recover).

My HANDS shake after leg day.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Yea I was driving home from my HS gym after a hard leg day of squats, stiff dl's and calf raises. My leg was shaking so bad while I was pressing the break at a red light. I was scared my leg was going to give out and that I would roll into the intersection.

nothing wrong with that, after 20 rep squats i collapse.

once i did a drop set with like 185 x 20 and 135 x 50, that was fun!!!
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyDante
    Hello,
    I just did my leg workout today that consisted of squats, leg press, exts, and calf raises. Afterwards, I went to go get some water and I had to bend my legs a little bit and they started shaking uncontrollable. I had to straighten my leg up to stop the shaking. Is this a sign to stop lifting my legs or normal? I am a little bit concerned.
    this is very much normal, i pretty much always shake during / around training

What exactly causes the shaking? I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyDante
    What exactly causes the shaking? I'm just curious.
    Think about if you did a tone of bicep and tricp work, then walked on your hands.

It's just the fact that your muscles are totally blasted, and you're asking them to not only continue to work as they support your bodyweight, but also keep up your balance and stability. They're just not as tight and accurate after you tear them up. It's totally normal.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

It's completely normal. My legs aren't bad while I'm at the gym, but as soon as I start driving home my left leg shakes almost violently each time I release the clutch after switching gears. It always makes for an interesting drive.

It's caused by adrenaline/norepinephrine released by your body during strenuous activity or stress. It's also why you get really nervous/shaky before a big interview or performance etc. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the adrenaline wearing off, sort of like withdrawal symptoms. That's why it happens shortly afterwards. Vitamin B1 may help with it, but it's normal, and it will go away in a little while. It can be bad enough to make you vomit (that's why some people puke after heavy squats, etc.), you "drank to much", only from adrenaline, not alcohol. You exceeded your tolerance level when that happens. Some people get addicted to it ("runner's high", etc.)
    Last edited by manowar669; 07-19-2006 at 05:37 AM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

That's pretty freakin' sweet if you ask me.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I drive a stick and after I work calves I can barely drive home because my calves are shaking so much
    Last edited by Chronic; 07-19-2006 at 07:51 AM.
    hate the sin love the sinner

Air Force Gym Rat
    Its a great feeling isnt it?!!! I did squats, leg press, and leg curls yesterday and I can barely walk today! I love that crap!!! It means I am working HARD!!!
    My Journal

Oct 23, 2007
    Weight - 206 Bench - 285 Squat - ? Dead - 405

When you fall off of the crapper after leg day, because you can't stand, that's when you are working HARD. Nothing more embarrassing (strangely proud, too) than having your wife or girlfriend pick you up off the bathroom floor with your pants around your ankles.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Lurk and Learn!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar669
    It's caused by adrenaline/norepinephrine released by your body during strenuous activity or stress. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the adrenaline wearing off, sort of like withdrawal symptoms. It can be bad enough to make you vomit (that's why some people puke after heavy squats, etc.), you "drank to much", only from adrenaline, not alcohol. You exceeded your tolerance level when that happens. Some people get addicted to it ("runner's high", etc.)

How long does this go on? I just started back doing leg work in the gym after a year(I was injured) on Saturday. I threw up. Today, I had another leg workout and while I didn't actually throw up, I was queasy for quite a bit.

I've never had this feeling before in reference to working out, so am I going to get used to it again? I could really do without feeling like I'm going to throw up twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669
    It's caused by adrenaline/norepinephrine released by your body during strenuous activity or stress. It's also why you get really nervous/shaky before a big interview or performance etc. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the adrenaline wearing off, sort of like withdrawal symptoms. That's why it happens shortly afterwards. Vitamin B1 may help with it, but it's normal, and it will go away in a little while. It can be bad enough to make you vomit (that's why some people puke after heavy squats, etc.), you "drank to much", only from adrenaline, not alcohol. You exceeded your tolerance level when that happens. Some people get addicted to it ("runner's high", etc.)

So nice to hear it's perfectly natural. I was about to post a question because I've been lifting like a maniac lately and after my chest/shoulders/arms yesterday my hands were shaking like crazy in the car. I had the feeling like I was going to throw up in the gym but just worked through it, I never really throw up, so the feeling was great aside from the gag reflexes I had for just a bit.

Would it also be normal for my arms to start flexing on their own hours of my workout? Say for instance I put a little pressure on my tricep and when I let go my tricep starts flexing on it's own. Just curious! I am assuming it is for the time being since it hasn't caused any serious trouble yet.

everytime after my leg day when i go to the bathroom my legs start to shake and it makes me feel good that i worked my legs hard, trust its definetly not something to worry about, something to be happy about if ne thing.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."