The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

My Routine - Criticims welcome and most likely needed

Ok, so I'm working on getting a better body so that I'll be better at basketball. Because of this, the routine I have designed is intended to get me bigger, but more lean and cut than just purely big and strong. Criticism, advice, etc, would be appreciated...

Stats: (Or statz, as the cool kids are saying these days)
    5' 10
    158-163 pounds (the scale, it how do you say, fluctuates)
    body fat: probably around 7-9% (I can see my abs sorta, and they become defined when i flex)

Day 1: Abs and lower back
    ab machine 12/10/8 (upper abs)
    torso rotation 12/10/8 (side abs - I can't remember the real name)
    ab dip 12/10/8 (side abs)
    situps on depression bench 12/10/8 (lower abs)
    back dip (lower back)
    kick ups (lower abs)

Day 2: Biceps and upper back
    pullups 12/10/8 (bi's and upper back)
    deadlift 12/10/8 (upper and mid back)
    row 12/10/8 (upper back)
    low row 12/10/8 (mid back)
    lat pull 12/10/8 (upper back)

Day 3: Basketball, plyos, running
    Shooting, dribbling, sprints
    Pickup games of basketball

Day 4: Chest and Triceps
    Bench 12/10/8 (chest)
    Incline Bench 12/10/8 (upper chest) or Decline Bench (lower chest) - (switch every week)
    Free weight fly 12/10/8 (chest)
    Tricep extensions (tricep)
    Tricep dips (tricep)

Day 5: Legs
    Squat 12/10/8 (overall legs)
    Calf raises 12/10/8 (calf)
    Step ups 12/10/8 (overall legs)
    Hamstring Machine 12/10/8 (Hammies)

Day 6: Shoulders
    Shoulder raise 12/10/8
    Shoulder extension 12/10/8 (side)
    Shoulder extension 12/10/8 (front)
    Shoulder shrugs 12/10/8

Day 7: is a day of rest

I use weight on everything, and have been increasing as needed. Anything I should add, get rid of, switch up? Thanks in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

are you playing basketball for a team or just for fun. that will depend on how you would want to set your routine up because if its during the season, pre-season, post-season, etc.

i would also suggest not performing weightlifting 4 days per week. maybe 2 full body workouts per week and one day directed towards jump squats, lunges, plyos, etc...sport specific movements.
    Last edited by heathj; 07-19-2006 at 10:19 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I play just for fun, intramural level stuff.

I do some plyo stuff on leg day as well.

Your suggesting I lift or excercise only 3 days a week? I feel like I should do more than that, at least 5...why do you think I should do less?

Guns of the future
    Plyos is probably the same or similar... . http://www.airalert.com/

The exercises consist of non-weighted high rep quick movements such as jumping onto chairs and special leaping drills.

As for building muscle elsewhere, if you're on a school team I'd suggest following a professional/college basketball weight training routine.. what ever that may be. You don't want to be too skinny on draft day. hehe You also don't want to be much heavier than Nate Robinson. He's a speedy beast at under 5'9" 180 pounds and won the dunk contest. Amazing how he pulled that one off.
    Last edited by clockwork24; 07-20-2006 at 12:14 AM.

I didn't suggest exercising three days per week, just not four days of lifting. Of course you want to exercise by playing basketball; thats how you get good.

and as built said we need your goals to know how that routine works.

Wannabebig Member
    Built:

In response to your question, I would like to get cut - more defined that is. At 160ish and 5 10 I am 14 pounds lighter than I was at this time last summer. I lost both muscle and fat, because when I was 174 I was big, I was strong, but I felt too big. I can't explain it better than that, but now, at this weight I feel comfortable. I want to make the fat I have go down and build a bit more muscle, that should help my basketball ability. Maybe get to around a size 30 or 29 waist instead of my current 31, and another percent offa my body fat. Thats pretty much what I would like my physique to be.

clockwork:

air alert is really hard on the knees. I don't reccomend it.

As for my goals, I want to become faster, jump higher, more agile. That and get stronger and more flexible. I know, it seems like I want it all, and it would probably be better to concentrate on one area at a time. I just figured doing the routine I outlined would build strength and plyos and bball would get me faster, a larger vertical, and more agile.

Wannabebig Member
    I figure that the key to leaning out is the diet more than the workout. Because of that, I've started using fitday - which I'm guessing isn't really accurate calorie wise (because it says i'm taking in about 1800 and burning 3000 daily, which can't be right). However, I'm guessing that fitday gives you a good relative index for what your loosing or gaining. In any case, I eat varied amounts and kinds of foods, but I try to eat 5 times a day like so...

meal 1:
    fat free yogurt and a banana

meal 2:
    piece of fruit and a glass of milk

meal 3:
    sushi (california roll most often) - 1 roll

meal 4:
    half of a chicken breast with barbeque sauce or 1/2 a roll of sushi

meal 5:
    1 or 2 breasts of chicken, in a sauce that varies

This is less food than I used to eat, and I've cut out candy, soda, etc. I do drink the occasional propel though, so there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by absynth
    I figure that the key to leaning out is the diet more than the workout. Because of that, I've started using fitday - which I'm guessing isn't really accurate calorie wise (because it says i'm taking in about 1800 and burning 3000 daily, which can't be right). However, I'm guessing that fitday gives you a good relative index for what your loosing or gaining. In any case, I eat varied amounts and kinds of foods, but I try to eat 5 times a day like so...

meal 1:
    fat free yogurt and a banana

meal 2:
    piece of fruit and a glass of milk

meal 3:
    sushi (california roll most often) - 1 roll

meal 4:
    half of a chicken breast with barbeque sauce or 1/2 a roll of sushi

meal 5:
    1 or 2 breasts of chicken, in a sauce that varies

This is less food than I used to eat, and I've cut out candy, soda, etc. I do drink the occasional propel though, so there is that.
    The best option you have fitday wise is to use the custom food option and use the food labels or a scale. You will never be exact but you can come pretty close with this combination. Also have you figured out your maintenance cals yet? Just a guess but imo thats not much food even for someone your size.

Wannabebig Member
    My maintenence cal. intake is 2192.

I am, according to fit day, taking in around 1800, but my guess is that it is closer to 2000. In any case, the amount I am taking in is almost certainly not more than 2192 - I can't know for sure because some things I eat don't come with the amount of calories on the package - like the sushi for instance.

Wannabebig Member
    So, basically, what I'm understanding is that I should group up a couple of my lifting days, and make it more like...

day 1:
    lift
    day 2:
    cardio/plyos
    day 3:
    lift
    day 4:
    cardio/plyos
    day 5:
    lift
    day 6 and 7:
    rest