The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722

    damnit i hate poker

    i get bad beats every day of my life. i hate poker.

    heres my most recent one.

    PokerStars Game #5321924678: Tournament #26603751, $2.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2006/06/21 - 16:20:59 (ET)
    Table '26603751 46' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
    Seat 1: bigdaddy1958 (5820 in chips)
    Seat 2: copgirl1 (16361 in chips)
    Seat 3: budy999 (8005 in chips)
    Seat 4: wiudad09 (5950 in chips)
    Seat 5: louphilou (3960 in chips)
    Seat 6: Fat_Pigs (4328 in chips)
    Seat 7: GroovyPig (24724 in chips)
    Seat 8: optron (5815 in chips)
    Seat 9: TheDna (6475 in chips)
    bigdaddy1958: posts the ante 25
    copgirl1: posts the ante 25
    budy999: posts the ante 25
    wiudad09: posts the ante 25
    louphilou: posts the ante 25
    Fat_Pigs: posts the ante 25
    GroovyPig: posts the ante 25
    optron: posts the ante 25
    TheDna: posts the ante 25
    bigdaddy1958: posts small blind 100
    copgirl1: posts big blind 200
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to wiudad09 [Ah 6h]
    budy999: calls 200
    wiudad09: calls 200
    louphilou: folds
    Fat_Pigs: folds
    GroovyPig: folds
    optron: calls 200
    TheDna: raises 400 to 600
    bigdaddy1958: folds
    copgirl1: calls 400
    budy999: calls 400
    wiudad09: calls 400
    optron: calls 400
    *** FLOP *** [Ad 2c 6s]
    copgirl1: checks
    budy999: checks
    wiudad09: bets 5325 and is all-in
    optron: folds
    TheDna: folds
    copgirl1: calls 5325
    budy999: folds
    *** TURN *** [Ad 2c 6s] [Kh]
    *** RIVER *** [Ad 2c 6s Kh] [Th]
    TheDna said, "FK IT"
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    copgirl1: shows [Ac Td] (two pair, Aces and Tens)
    wiudad09: shows [Ah 6h] (two pair, Aces and Sixes)
    bigdaddy1958 said, "lool"
    copgirl1 collected 13975 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 13975 | Rake 0
    Board [Ad 2c 6s Kh Th]
    Seat 1: bigdaddy1958 (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 2: copgirl1 (big blind) showed [Ac Td] and won (13975) with two pair, Aces and Tens
    Seat 3: budy999 folded on the Flop
    Seat 4: wiudad09 showed [Ah 6h] and lost with two pair, Aces and Sixes
    Seat 5: louphilou folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: Fat_Pigs folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: GroovyPig folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 8: optron folded on the Flop
    Seat 9: TheDna (button) folded on the Flop

    this would have put me in top 20 in the tourney and in great shape to make the good payscales.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    I wouldnt have gone all in on that flop. Better to bet the pot on the flop/turn and if reraised on the river fold.

    I dont really play on poker stars but if you ever sign onto Full Tilt gimme a holler. I play pretty much every night.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.


    This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

  4. #3
    considering lipo Skinny Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    O - HI - O
    Posts
    534
    That's not a particularly bad beat.

    1) She has 3x your chips. It's worth the risk to knock an opponent out.
    2) She's already paired the high card on the board.
    3) When you started betting, you sure didn't sell yourself as having bullets, and at this point, that's the only thing better than her hand.

    You just lost.

    Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.


  5. #4
    200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fat
    That's not a particularly bad beat.

    1) She has 3x your chips. It's worth the risk to knock an opponent out.
    2) She's already paired the high card on the board.
    3) When you started betting, you sure didn't sell yourself as having bullets, and at this point, that's the only thing better than her hand.

    You just lost.

    But to be fair she made a pretty crappy call and got lucky. Risking 1/3rd of your stack with only 3 outs is not exactly what I would call smart poker
    Last edited by Margin Of Error; 06-21-2006 at 03:40 PM.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.


    This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    margin of error, i flopped top two pair on a non threatening flop, why SHOULDNT i have gone all in? im not one for seeing a showdown as i tend to get drawn out on alot, and i wanted to just take the pot down there.

    she was drawing to 3 outs when she called me, putting me at about 4-1 favorite, maybe a bit more. it was just a bad beat, the story of my life :/

  7. #6
    200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    margin of error, i flopped top two pair on a non threatening flop, why SHOULDNT i have gone all in? im not one for seeing a showdown as i tend to get drawn out on alot, and i wanted to just take the pot down there.

    she was drawing to 3 outs when she called me, putting me at about 4-1 favorite, maybe a bit more. it was just a bad beat, the story of my life :/

    Because going all in makes you look like you have maybe middle pair at best and are trying to take the pot down now. A smart player with your hand would want to get paid off and would keep making value bets.

    Very often looking like you have the hand sealed and are trying to get paid anyways is a great way to bluff people out of a pot. Overbetting is a great way to get called like you did.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.


    This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    i WAS trying to take the pot down now, and if i got called theres VERY few hands that could beat me so i would be in a great position to win, and if i dont get a call tahts fine too, i still make over 3k in chips.

    i overbet alot, especially at these limits because people will pay you off almsot every time. people would be suprised how much ABC poker works. bet when you got it, fold when you dont.

  9. #8
    200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    i WAS trying to take the pot down now, and if i got called theres VERY few hands that could beat me so i would be in a great position to win, and if i dont get a call tahts fine too, i still make over 3k in chips.

    i overbet alot, especially at these limits because people will pay you off almsot every time. people would be suprised how much ABC poker works. bet when you got it, fold when you dont.

    Then why are you bitching about bad beats?

    AA/KK/AK/66/22 all beat you.

    In fact the only hand you beat on that board is A2 and 62. You wanna push all in with that be my guest, but you will also continue to bitch about "bad beats".

    You would have to be a fool to not call your AI with her stack.
    Last edited by Margin Of Error; 06-21-2006 at 04:28 PM.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.


    This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Margin Of Error
    Then why are you bitching about bad beats?

    AA/KK/AK/66/22 all beat you.

    In fact the only hand you beat on that board is A2 and 62. You wanna push all in with that be my guest, but you will also continue to bitch about "bad beats".

    You would have to be a fool to not call your AI with her stack.
    BECAUSE IT WAS A BAD BEAT

    i got 3 outed. well techincally 7 outed on the turn, but still i was a huge favorite when i got my money in and lost. thats what im saying here.

    KK and AK dont beat me post flop, when the money went in. KK is not going to call this hand. AK MAY be able to let it go, but i highly doubt.

    ewhen the money went in, only hands that beat me are AA 66 and 22.

  11. #10
    considering lipo Skinny Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    O - HI - O
    Posts
    534
    Dude, you didn't play it well. Ergo, you were attracting bad beats. You were literally asking somebody to call.

    Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.


  12. #11
    Om. Avocado. MM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fat
    Dude, you didn't play it well. Ergo, you were attracting bad beats. You were literally asking somebody to call.
    I agree.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.


  13. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    ok. so how didnt i play it well?

    i got my money in as a 4.5-1 favorite.....so can someone tell me how i didnt play it well?

  14. #13
    200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    ok. so how didnt i play it well?

    i got my money in as a 4.5-1 favorite.....so can someone tell me how i didnt play it well?

    Because you think betting = going all in. Once you go all in and you get called you lose the opportunity to win the hand any way besides luck. If you had bet on the flop, got called, saw the turn, then pushed hard on the turn, I guarantee you she would have folded.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.


    This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

  15. #14
    Om. Avocado. MM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,204
    I basically agree with what SF said above:

    1) She has 3x your chips. It's worth the risk to knock an opponent out.
    2) She's already paired the high card on the board.
    3) When you started betting, you sure didn't sell yourself as having bullets, and at this point, that's the only thing better than her hand.
    And it's not like you were a preflop favorite or anything. I agree that it's a bad loss for you, but I don't read it and go "wow, that's a terrible beat".
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.


  16. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Margin Of Error
    Because you think betting = going all in. Once you go all in and you get called you lose the opportunity to win the hand any way besides luck. If you had bet on the flop, got called, saw the turn, then pushed hard on the turn, I guarantee you she would have folded.
    the only way i dont WIN the hand is by the other person getting lucky, why dont you understand that? had i bet the flop, she would have raised. had she only called, i would be pot committed to push and i gaurantee she would call because it would cost her like 3500 to win over 9k, and no one makes that fold with top pair good kicker.

    there was nothing about this hand that WASNT a bad beat. she called with only 3 outs and hit it, i dont understand why you guys dont understand that.

    my idea of betting is pushing my money in with the best hand, which is exactly what i did. i didnt want anyone to see another card for cheap because my hand was vulnerable.

  17. #16
    considering lipo Skinny Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    O - HI - O
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    the only way i dont WIN the hand is by the other person getting lucky, why dont you understand that? had i bet the flop, she would have raised. had she only called, i would be pot committed to push and i gaurantee she would call because it would cost her like 3500 to win over 9k, and no one makes that fold with top pair good kicker.

    there was nothing about this hand that WASNT a bad beat. she called with only 3 outs and hit it, i dont understand why you guys dont understand that.

    my idea of betting is pushing my money in with the best hand, which is exactly what i did. i didnt want anyone to see another card for cheap because my hand was vulnerable.
    Dude, if you're betting real money, you need to stop playing poker immediately. If you honestly believe what you're saying in this thread, you're not very good at all.

    Yes, putting money on the best hand is a solid principle. But it has to go along with smart play, and you're not playing smart right now. Yes, by odds, it was a 'bad beat'. But it's a card game. Just because the odds are in your favor doesn't mean it's going your way. If it did, poker would be a lot easier game to play. And you'd be winning a lot more.

    You've obviously read, maybe, a whole book on the subject by somebody like Hellmuth, and think you know all you need to know to win.

    If you're not winning, you're doing something wrong. Figure out what that is, and stop crying because somebody beat you.
    Last edited by Skinny Fat; 06-21-2006 at 08:17 PM.

    Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.


  18. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    im crying because i took a bad beat. yes i honestly believe my solid principle that "if i had my money in with a commanding lead and lost, it is a bad beat"

    i dont know how anyone can dispute that...but if you can go ahead and try.

    i posted a bad beat, i played it JUST FINE. i got my money in with a commanding lead, thats all i can do, and i did it. im complaining about the cards not falling my way.

  19. #18
    Senior Member meltedtime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,078
    That is most definitely not a bad beat. A suckout, sure. Getting your quads beat by higher quads qualifies as a bad beat. Str8 flush beaten by a higher one = bad beat. In a $2 tournament, there was nothing wrong with her calling you. If you consider every suckout to a flush or a str8 a bad enough beat to write about, you will give yourself an ulcer playing poker.
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

    There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

  20. #19
    Senior Member meltedtime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,078
    Here is a bad beat. $33, 35k guaranteed on Party Poker. And yes I did whine about it on rec.gambling.poker.

    ***** Hand History for Game 3896080480 *****
    0/0 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 21716103) - Wed Apr 05
    20:04:32 EDT 2006
    Table Regular(653419) Table 7 (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
    Total number of players : 9
    Seat 1: AA_is_AA (42680)
    Seat 2: savvyman25 (15849)
    Seat 3: registered2 (12080)
    Seat 4: daToyman516 (18282)
    Seat 5: greato (27934)
    Seat 6: meltedtime (11553)
    Seat 7: lluckie22 (11294)
    Seat 9: soldierP (9313)
    Seat 10: emb711 (24128)
    AA_is_AA posts ante (25)
    savvyman25 posts ante (25)
    registered2 posts ante (25)
    daToyman516 posts ante (25)
    greato posts ante (25)
    meltedtime posts ante (25)
    lluckie22 posts ante (25)
    soldierP posts ante (25)
    emb711 posts ante (25)
    registered2 posts small blind (400)
    daToyman516 posts big blind (800)
    ** Dealing down cards **
    Dealt to meltedtime [ Ah, Ad ]
    greato folds.
    meltedtime raises (2400) to 2400
    lluckie22 folds.
    soldierP folds.
    emb711 folds.
    AA_is_AA folds.
    savvyman25 calls (2400)
    registered2 folds.
    daToyman516 folds.
    ** Dealing Flop ** : [ 4d, 3d, 8c ]
    meltedtime bets (3047)
    savvyman25 raises (13424) to 13424
    savvyman25 is all-In.
    meltedtime calls (6081)
    meltedtime is all-In.
    ** Dealing Turn ** : [ 9c ]
    ** Dealing River ** : [ Qd ]
    Creating Main Pot with $24481 with meltedtime
    Creating Side Pot 1 with $4296 with savvyman25
    ** Summary **
    Main Pot: 24481 | Side Pot 1: 4296
    Board: [ 4d 3d 8c 9c Qd ]


    AA_is_AA balance 42655, lost 25 (folded)
    savvyman25 balance 28777, bet 15849, collected 28777, net +12928 [ 9h Qs ] [ two
    pairs, queens and nines -- Qs,Qd,9h,9c,8c ]
    registered2 balance 11655, lost 425 (folded)
    daToyman516 balance 17457, lost 825 (folded)
    greato balance 27909, lost 25 (folded)
    meltedtime balance 0, lost 11553 [ Ah Ad ] [ a pair of aces -- Ah,Ad,Qd,9c,8c ]
    lluckie22 balance 11269, lost 25 (folded)
    soldierP balance 9288, lost 25 (folded)
    emb711 balance 24103, lost 25 (folded
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

    There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

  21. #20
    Om. Avocado. MM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,204
    Now that's a crappy beat.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.


  22. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    ok, a suckout, whatever. still, when im 4-1 or better to win and still lose, im not happy.

    now that hand he posted would make me want to punch a baby. or something.

  23. #22
    Senior Member accuFLEX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,190
    it was a $2 game of poker online.....STFU

    Maybe if you where playing for something like $20 or $40 then you could be pissed.

  24. #23
    considering lipo Skinny Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    O - HI - O
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    im crying because i took a bad beat. yes i honestly believe my solid principle that "if i had my money in with a commanding lead and lost, it is a bad beat"

    i dont know how anyone can dispute that...but if you can go ahead and try.

    i posted a bad beat, i played it JUST FINE. i got my money in with a commanding lead, thats all i can do, and i did it. im complaining about the cards not falling my way.
    The bolded section is where you're wrong. It's fine to complain about bad beats, but in a card game, random is random. Playing the odds will help you some, but it's only part of the game. You can do so much more. I'll give you an idea of what your situation is like:

    I have $10. You have $1000. I take a 6-sided die, and tell you 'I'll bet you $10 that I won't roll a 3'. Now, you being the guy you are, and wanting to see me broke as hell, and not caring too much about the $10, say OK, and take my one-sided bet. If I roll a 3, I have nothing to whine about. I had great odds in my favor, but it's still a random occurance, and I didn't give you any reason not to bet me. If I whine and cry about this situation, I expect to be *****-slapped.

    Let's take this from her perspective:

    I've got A-T, and the second-highest stack at the table. I notice that you limped in, so you've probably got something similar. Definitely no high pocket pair there.

    I get a pair for my ace on the flop, and the rest of it is pretty crummy. You're pretty low on chips, and you go all-in. Obvious case of a short stack trying to steal a pot; I figure maybe you paired an ace, too. Whatever, I've got a good kicker, and it doesn't cost me much to cover you.

    Done.

    Your principle of having money in when you're ahead is good. Here's another good one:

    If your cards are good enough to play, they're good enough to bet. Limping in just shows everybody else at the table that you don't have much going for you, and you're hoping to see something on the flop that helps you out. That's not going to scare anybody away. Maybe if you had bet significantly pre-flop, she'd think you had some serious cards, and the flop made them even better.

    Your loss is 'just cards'. It's an insult to guys who really get bad beats for you to whine about this one.

    Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.


  25. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    IM NOT BLAMING HER CALL

    im saying she got very lucky to catch her kicker on me when i had a grasp on the hand, which she did. how is there any denying that? i dotn understand it?

  26. #25
    considering lipo Skinny Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    O - HI - O
    Posts
    534
    Very lucky is when you need two consecutive Jacks to win, and you get them. She was lucky, but wtf cares? If you're going to get bent out of shape about something like this, you're going to die at a very young age from a stress-induced heart attack. And everybody will look at your body and say 'wtf was wrong with him? He was always freaking out about piddly stuff.'

    Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •