Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe Crossfit will keep me motivated...

Maybe Crossfit will keep me motivated...

I started reading all about this crossfit stuff yesterday and I've decided to give it a whirl, mixed in with some 5x5. Plan on doing CF/5x5/CF/5x5/CF/rest/rest. See how it goes. I know I'll be dead for the first couple weeks maybe longer. This is only my third week back to lifting after too much time off. Also I haven't done much intense cardio since I was a senior in high school like 3 years ago. I've looked over all of the different WOD's they have listed in the FAQ that I can do with the equipment available at the gym and wrote them down. Plus my gym is humongous, so it would be impossible to do a lot of the things while they are timed. However, if a WOD looks interesting on one of my CF days I might thrown it in, in place of what I already have planned. I've broke it down into like 4 week rotations with a different CF WO for each of the days. But anyways, I thought I'd start off with the Tabata This as it seems like a good overall judge as I progress through this. Here is how it went tonight:
    Pullups: 14, 9, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2(doing 14 and then 9 was stupid). total=41
    Situps: 15, 13, 13, 11, 10, 10, 8, 8 total=88
    Squats: 17, 16, 15, 15, 15, 14, 14, 14 total=120
    Pushups: 10, 10, 10, 9, 7, 6, 6, 5 total=59
    Rower: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4 total=38
    Overall score: 33.
    I guess I'm alright with that. I'm pretty well out of shape. I figure when I do this again in 5 weeks it should increase fairly well. Plus I know not to start out gunning it like an idiot. Main thing that sucked here was I had to sprint to get to "multi-fuctional room" after pullups, and then run to the rower. So as if I wasn't winded enough. Afterwards I definitely puked up the banana I had before the workout, wasn't as good coming back up. But i'm gonna stick to this, I love workouts that motivational in this sense of constantly trying to beat your time and reps and what not.
    Little background:
    Probably about my 4th journal. Hope to keep this one going.
    Height: 5'5" no shoes
    Weight: 132 this morning
    BF%: Calipers giving me a 7, so probably really like 10.
    So my goals are pretty much to get into better physical shape, strength and endurace. As well as gaining weight, which shouldn't be a problem until I hit about 145 as I've been there before. So I've got a 5x5 and I'll post details after the workout.
    Last edited by Ironman15; 02-21-2006 at 02:18 AM.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

I like your user name.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

Tabata This is a great workout. Did you find it difficult to count reps AND watch the stop watch for 20/10 seconds? You're score is a good place to start. Try it again in 2 weeks and I bet you put another 5-10 points on that!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Tabata This is a great workout. Did you find it difficult to count reps AND watch the stop watch for 20/10 seconds? You're score is a good place to start. Try it again in 2 weeks and I bet you put another 5-10 points on that!
    No, I didn't think it was too difficult. Although I know on some of the other workouts it will be even tougher to do both at the same time. In those cases i'm hoping I can drag my girlfriend along.

On another note, I'm sore as **** today all over my whole body. Contemplating holding out on the 5x5 workouts until my body becomes more accustommed to the Crossfit regimine. I have a tendency to get sick when I overtrain, so I want to avoid that.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Gonna pass on the 5x5 tonight, i'm too sore to move let alone lift. I think I'm going to have to slowly incorporate those in after I get use to the Crossfit workouts. So I think for this week and next week i'm just going to do Crossfit MWF. Set for Wednesday I plan on doing Fran. Either next quarter of school or this summer I plan on switching to following the crossfit workouts that are posted, but for now I'm going to stick with what I've previously mentioned. Friday I'm going to do Cindy.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

I want to do a Cindy or Fran....
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by clvmike19
    I want to do a Cindy or Fran....
    I'd be careful, that Fran is one mean bitch...

Ugly show at the gym tonight...it was me. Fran kicked my ass. I'm so out of cardiac shape. My time was 10:27, using 75lbs for thrusters(55% of my BW). I plan to eventually work up to the 95lbs. after I get stronger and get more conditioned. The pullups actually were an improvement over monday. They felt easier. I'm still sore all over though. Thrusters are probably what killed my time. I'm so better at any kind of shoulder press sitting down. I do 50lb dumbell shoulder press for 6, but barely did 75lb thrusters for 10 in a row. Weak. Oh well as time goes on i'll get better at these. Atleast I didn't puke tonight.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Cindy was planned for today, but my back feels like I got hit with a baseball bat, so I was looking for a different workout that was mainly legs and/or core and what do you know todays WOD is Michael:
    Three rounds for time of:
    Run 800 meters
    50 Back Extensions
    50 Sit-ups

I think I might have to substitute goodmornings(with bar) because I don't think the gym has a glute-ham machine. I guess I'll go find out and reschedule my date with Cindy for another night.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Well no glute-ham machine, so instead I had to do goodmornings(with barbell).

My time was pretty embarrassing: 35.38.

Started out strong, finished first .5 mile in 3:15. Then it fell apart. Goodmornings tore me up. By the time I got to the second half mile I had to walk a lap. Then by the last .5 mile I was wishing I had done Cindy instead, haha. Oh well, its just a time to beat in the future.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Sick workouts, IM. Way to keep the food down!
    Last edited by McIrish; 02-26-2006 at 05:35 PM.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Haha, thanks man. I think if my hamstrings could today they would jump off my body and put me in a rear naked choke. Looking forward to Cindy tomorrow, I'm sure the squats are going to feel great.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

I couldn't even do a squat today, let alone many squats that would necessitate an entire set. So once again I didn't do Cindy, but one day it will happen. I did however do Lynne tonight. Looks like this:

Bw Bench
    Pullups
    5 rounds for max reps

And here's how I did
    Bench(135): 7,6,5,5,5(I probably could have squeezed out 6 on atleast two of those 5's, but without a spotter I didn't want to test it).
    Pullups: 19, 16, 12, 10, 12(These were fantastic, and I worked on a half-ass kip)

Positives= My bench was better than I thought it would be, and with some slight improvement I think I'll be able to complete the pullup part of Fran next time without stopping, granted I won't be doing Fran for awhile.

Negatives= Took way to long of a nap today and missed a meal, so I didn't have that much energy today. Which I guess makes what I did look better, but I wish I would have had that extra energy to see what I would have turned out.

Started taking creatine yesterday. In the past I've been a non-responder, but I thought I'd give it a whirl again. This time around I'm going to make sure to drink excessive water, might help out some.

I think I might do Jackie on Wedneday, which was what I originally had down for me to do. I think I can bust out a very good time on it.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Somewhat sore today, legs are feeling better, chest is pretty sore, lats somewhat. Arms not sore at all. So, tomorrow I will do Jackie, looks like this:

1000 meter run (Anticipate a time of less than 4:15, hopefully under 4:00)
    Thruster 45lbs for 50 reps (Probably will take me about 4:00)
    Pullups 30 reps (I'll be tired as **** by this time, but I should easily get this in 3 sets if not 2 thanks to my new kipping skills, maybe sub 2:30 here).

So I'd really like to break 10:00, but that would be flying. I'll probably be around 12:00 realistically.

Oh yea weight: 135 (+6 since I started 4 weeks ago)

Funny thing is I was just looking back at Jackie on Crossfit and it was suppose to be a 1000m row, whoops.
    Last edited by Ironman15; 04-03-2006 at 12:14 AM.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Only one word to describe this workout: puketastic. Must make mental note to myself to never eat chinese food prior to working out. I actually felt like I was going to puke beforehand, and I knew I was going to puke after. Unfortunately, i threw up right before I finished. Here's out the workout went down:

1000 meters: 4:10 (like a 6:40 mile pace, so not too bad, my best mile time ever was 5:10 my sophomore year of high school)
    50 Thrusters(45lbs): like 5:30 because this guy I lived down the hall from my freshman year started talking to me. I probably needed the breather though.
    30 pullups: First set was 16, second set was 8, the total time was 11:30 here. And then it hit me. So I made my way to the bathroom, puked my guts out, and here I am now, 6 pullups short of getting Jackie in the sheets. But I figure minus the guy talking to me and chinese food and I would have been right at 12:00 here. I had Lynne down for Friday from my original schedule, but considering I already did that I might throw in Cindy, although I thinking more along the lines of either some heavy deads, squats, or cleans.
    Last edited by Ironman15; 03-01-2006 at 09:34 PM.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Well, decided to yesterday's WOD today. Looks like this:

deadlifts(65lbs) 10 reps
    Hang Cleans(65lbs) 8 reps
    Push Press(65lbs) 6 reps
    As many rounds in 20 minutes

I finished with 10 rounds. I probably could have pulled off a couple extra deadlifts but I was ****ing dying. I did get my goal of 10 rounds, so I'm happy. Never felt like puking, just pure exhausted. But I've only gotten about 20 hours of sleep total the past 4 days due to having a 10-page paper and 2-page paper due today. And i'm one hell of a procrastinator. So I figure more sleep would have helped me out here.

Deadlifts were somewhat killer, doing that many and going that low(10 lb plates).
    Hang Cleans sucked, haven't done them in quite awhile, quite the forearm burn.
    Push Presses were quick, clean, and ****ing beautiful. I'm ready for Fran again.

I was thinking about doing the whole conversion to my Bodyweight, and it would have been 50lbs. Then I started thinking about ridiculous that would look deadlifting with 2.5's on each side. Pretty damn funny.

On a side note: As I'm leaving the gym I notice a big sign with the rules listed. No OLYMPIC LIFTS(CLEANS, SNATCHES). Granted I was using 65lbs, and no one said anything to me, but thats kind of sad, damn university gyms. Next time i see a ugly chick in there, i'm gonna be like didn't you read the sign, NO SNATCHES...haha jp.
    Last edited by Ironman15; 03-03-2006 at 12:07 PM.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

I've been thinking about reworking my workout scheme, and I think I have it settled.

M-Crossfit
    T-5x5
    W-off
    T-Crossfit
    F-5x5
    S-Off
    U-Off

I was thinking about going strictly with the crossfit format 3 days CF 1 day off, but I work every other weekend in which I stay at home not at school, and don't have access to a gym, unless I want to drive 40 minutes to school, and I spend enough on gas as it is. However, I think when I'm home for the summer and unfreeze my account at the gym there I will go strictly with the CF format.

Crossfit days will focus on more endurance type workouts like Fran, Cindy, and Jackie. 5x5 days will focus on Squats, Bench, Deadlift, and Bentover Rows. So it will kind of be a two week rotation for those four lifts. I'll also do two 3x8's on those days focusing on opposite lifts for instance if I'm doing squats, I'll do CGBP and DB Rows. I'll probably avoid pulldowns and pullups on those days cause i'm more than likely to do pullups atleast once a week, usually twice on CF days. The CF workouts will not be set in stone. I might do one of the ladies or I might look at very recent WOD's and choose one of them.

Tonight I'm going to do today's WOD: Fran.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

I could use a good nap after this workout. Did Fran, bumped up to 80lb thrusters from 75lb from last time. So I did 59% of my BW, again each time I do this I want to increase weight until I'm at 95lbs, the rx'd amount. I figured with bumping the weight up 5lbs I wanted to break 10, which would be a 27 second PR. I ended up with a time of 8:53. So new PR by 1:34. It was broken up like this if I remember correctly:
    TH: 15,6/6,5,4/5,4
    PU: 16,5/9,6/6,3

Next time I want to get that second set of thrusters in 2 sets, so that I'm getting everything in 2 sets. Damn I'm tired.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Amazing how untiring a regular workout is after doing crossfit for a couple weeks, well i wouldn't say untiring, but not nearly as bad. Here was tonight's workout:

Deadlifts: 5x185, 5x185, 5x205, 5x205, 3x225
    First time I've done these in years. Back was fried by the last set and my grip was giving out. Also all the bars are brand new in the gym and knurling is wicked harsh on my hands. I've got callouses in the middle of my palms.
    CGBP: 3x95, 3x105, 3x105
    DB Row: 45x8, 50x8, 55x8

Then I did some miscellaneous stuff. Some DB shrugs, calf raises, and weighted crunches just for the hell of it.

Discovered that every person on campus must have a MWF workout split because no one was at the gym tonight, was excellent.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Didn't make it to the gym tonight, girlfriend has some cardio ideas of her own involving many pelvic thrusting maneuvers. But I'm gonna go before lunch tomorrow and do this WOD last posted in January:

With a continuously running clock do one pull-up the first minute, two pull-ups the second minute, three pull-ups the third minute... continuing as long as you are able.

Use as many sets each minute as needed.

Then tomorrow night I'm going to do:
    Bench:5x5
    Front squat: 3x8
    Rows: 3x8 (with the pullups done early I should do something else here, but not sure what exactly, any ideas?)

Oh, and my lower back has some crazy ass doms going on, guess thats what happens when you don't deadlift for a couple years.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Told myself I should get atleast 12 minutes on the pullups. Only made it to 10 Those bastards catch up on you quick. I never broke down a set until 8, then I thought it would be smart to do 4,4. Then did 5,4 and 5,3,2. The last few were barely chin over bar. Its funny cause you feel stupid the first few sets, hop up to a couple pullups and hop down. Then you get a little higher and its like dang. Oh well I did 55 pullups in 10 minutes. Not too bad, gonna have to improve before I eventually Angie. After this I decided to run .5 mile. The track is 1/8 of a mile. I was just finishing up the second lap when both my calves started cramping and I ran the 3rd lap doing a skip and stopped after that with a time of 2:29. I'd like to work up to a mile and get that under 6:00. Which would be 45 seconds a lap. First lap was like 50, second lap was 45 and last lap was 55 due to the skipping. I think within a month or two I can get a mile under 6:00.

Tonight I'll be doing:
    Bench: 5x5
    F. Squat: 3x8
    Mac Row: 3x8 (much rather do something else here, like cleans, but 1. not allowed in the gym even though I doubt anyone working there knows what one is or would even say anything and 2. My lower back is still damn sore)

I leave next friday for south carolina, so I'll be away from lifting for about 8 days or so. But it will be nice to relax and get rid of all my doms before I get back and do it all over.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Well did the workout tonight I was supposed to do Friday. Didn't skip cause I'm lazy just cause I've been busy as ****. I still plan on working out tomorrow though. So here's tonights workout:

Bench: 135x5, 140x5, 145x5, 150x5, 155x5
    F. Squat: 95x8, 95x8, 115x8
    1 arm cable row: 100x8, 110x8, 110x8

Really surprised at bench, going up pretty quick, granted I've benched 215 before so muscle memory is doing me good here.
    Front squats was mainly working on form. I started off at the top from the clean hold, this worked great until my unflexible right wrist started bothering me so I had to switch back to the cross armed hold. I plan on working on the clean hold though as I will easily be able to add more weight that way.
    The rows were done on these cable machines we have. Rather than pulling from a 90 degree angle like a pulldown or like a 0-10 degree row this was pulling from like a 40-50 degree angle and across the body. I really liked these and felt them in my lats like nothing else.

Overall good workout, felt fresh and strong. And the best part, I wasn't exhausted one bit. Thank you crossfit. Not sure what I'm doing tomorrow yet, but I'll figure it out.

Rant: Guy next to me squatting 335 about 3 inches thought he was badass. I wanted to ask him to try it ass to the floor, but figured it was a waste. Either way I think watching people with bad form has become my biggest pet peeve in the gym.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Figured I'd go ahead and post tonights workout before I do it, so I don't have to go searching for it later.

For time:
    Row 1000 meters
    45 pound Thruster, 50 reps
    30 Pull-ups
    Row 750 meters
    45 pound Thruster, 25 reps
    15 Pull-ups
    Row 500 meters
    45 pound Thruster, 15 reps
    9 pull-ups

I'm gonna guess and say a time around 25 minutes.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

I definitely want to kill myself after that ^.

First round time: 11:45
    Second round time: 21:45
    Third round time: 27:50.

So i finished 2:50 later than I thought, but it also took my a total of atleast 3:00 in transition as the rower is a good 150 yards away from the freeweights. I did alright. Rower killed me. My average 500m time was like 2:20. Need to improve that for real. Last round was cake. I haven't sweated like this though in forever. I have a feeling I might be using tomorrow as a rest day instead, cause I'm already hurting all over. I'd love to go to sleep now but I have an exam tomorrow, this is gonna suck.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

Good job with the CF man. Keep it up.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.