The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Deadlift width set up?

Hey whats up people ....again...., i was just wondering if anyone had a general type of recommendation for the width of the deadlift set up. I've read that it depends on a couple of things: Torso length, arm length, and leg length in proportion with ones body. So i was wondering if for instance generally speaking, shorter people would do traditional and taller would do sumo...? thanx.......again.... later

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Traditional and sumo are two different things, you should switch it up from time to time, or not, depends on you. If one particular variation feels uncomfortable do the other. Everyone is different and you just have to see what works for you.

Theoretically, people with longer arms compared to their torso's should be better natural deadlifters than those with shorter arms no matter what style they us. So like Lou said, it's more a matter of preference.

If more of your strength is in the legs, you may prefer sumo. If it's in the back, you will probably do better at conventional. Of course, you could do the opposite to bring up your weaknesses.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Guido covered it, myself personally i like to pull SLDL and conventional with my feet very close, but i like to use sumo once and a while.

give it a try one day and do a bunch of speed singles to compare.
    2000 or bust

Change your stance around and see how it feels. Check for speed with lighter weights and see what feels faster or feels better to you. It's all about finding the right position for you where you can move the most weight. Personally I've tried sumo, mediu-sumo, moderate, and close. I pull the most with my feet closer together (barely shoulder width) mainly because I have string quads (which helps with moving the bar off the floor).

Basically, experiment and see what works best for you. I would suggest trying different stances for 6-8 weeks at a time.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Gamer/Lifter
    I do sumo my front of my leg matches up with the o-ring which is in the middle of two threaded part on each side. So its fairly wide. I find it works quite well. I also find that I can pull more convential but only slighlty more and I feel uncomfortable doing convential.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."