Thread: why not ME the main's?

Wannabebig Member

why not ME the main's?

hey whats up people? i was just wondering, why don't people who follow the Westside template style use the floor deadlift or the regular back squat as their ME lifts??? (for instance they do Pin pulls/rack pulls or saftey squat/box squat) sorry for the simple questions...just been wonderin for a bit.
    Last edited by jampsifit; 07-24-2006 at 06:49 AM.

You certainly can. The reason many use special lifts is to build parts of the main lifts, as well as avoid burnout on them (since you are doing them on your dynamic days.)

I think for most, there is no reason to not have the squat, bench, and dead in your ME rotation.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 07-24-2006 at 06:13 AM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I do ME with deadlift/squat/bench. Its just that every 3 weeks or so I'll rotate them. You tend to get a bit of CNS burnout if you don't rotate exercises that you take to a 1RM every time you do them. You rotate the exercises and then come back to them.

For some guys it can also be that they are training their weaknesses in the lifts. Westside is a good routine but only if the lifter can diagnos their weaknesses. You can keep training your strong points but if you don't hit the weaknesses you'll never get anywhere. Hence why you see alot of guys doing board presses. Most people are strong off the chest but lag when the tri's really kick in to finish the lift. Or rack presses, some are strong off the ground but can't lock it out so they chose to overload that portion of the lift to help it out.

Its all a matter of doing something to bring up your weaknesses. Not that the main lifts are bad, especially when that's what you are training for but that you have to hit what you're weak at. That's why most guys are doing something specific for their ME days.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Wannabebig Member
    ohh k i got, thanx a lot u guys.