Thread: What Should I Do???

What Should I Do???

From deadlifting for the past couple months ive developed some good sized calluses on each of my hands located below my ring finger and below my pinky finger on each hand. They usually improve and heal somewhat by the time i deadlift the following week but this last time i deadlifted two days ago, on my last set i ripped the biggest one open, and when i ripped it wasnt just the calluse that ripped it also ripped skin that wasnt part of the calluse, i just had 2 more reps left so i sucked it up and regripped after each one and did 1 and 3/4 more reps before the pain was unbearable. And then the rest of my workout depending on the exercise (not everything) i had to use a towel around the bar or dumbbell or whatever i was holding cuz that helped a lot. And now two days later it is still horribly painful and at football practice i have to get it wrapped cuz just getting the calluse touched by anything kills.

So basically now im wondering what i should do in a week when i deadlift again, seeing as how i doubt it will heal good enough in a week, and i really dont want to skip it because after our last practice friday we have a 3 week break from football so i want to really lift hard. So any suggestions on what i should do? Should i try putting a towel around the bar and if so should i put two, one for each hand or just the one thats messed up? Any suggestions on preventing this from happening in the future would also be great, i really didn't mind them though until this happened. Thanks guys.....
    Last edited by rbar89; 07-20-2006 at 10:49 PM.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Maybe deadlift every other week to increase the healing time. I deadlift only once every two weeks, and I'm seeing great gains.

Otherwise, some gloves or straps may help out.

Yeah, I've been there. Often, actually.. I'm always forgetting to sand my calluses. You might have to skip next week's DL depending on how you're feeling... or you can just ignore it. I've done both without harm (without HARM. There was a lot of PAIN when I ignored it).

In the future take better care of them. Trim them down or peel them off after a shower is what a lot of people do. I use 180 grade sandpaper to file them down when I remember (and just tear them cleanly off if I've forgotten to and they start to rip during a session).
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Yeah, I've been there. Often, actually.. I'm always forgetting to sand my calluses. You might have to skip next week's DL depending on how you're feeling... or you can just ignore it. I've done both without harm (without HARM. There was a lot of PAIN when I ignored it).

In the future take better care of them. Trim them down or peel them off after a shower is what a lot of people do. I use 180 grade sandpaper to file them down when I remember (and just tear them cleanly off if I've forgotten to and they start to rip during a session).
    :withstupi

I do lots of gripwork, and filing down calluses and moisturizing your hands can make a big difference.

Banned
    I would wear gloves or tape them up for your next DL session. Then go with what ShockBoxer said.

I agree. File them down and they arne't going to stick out and get riped off.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

wow i never knew you were supposed to file them down or peel them off and stuff, i always thought that you were supposed to just let them be cuz they would heel themselves and tuffen up the skin so that it wouldnt happen again but now i will definetly pull them off and stuff. And ya for this week of deadlifts i'll probably tape my hand or find some old bmx gloves i think i have somewhere around.

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I agree. File them down and they arne't going to stick out and get riped off.
    It wasn't really that they were sticking out or anything, it was just they ripped because i was doing exactly what caused them in the first place and so then they just got really bad and i guess the bar kinda rubbed against em a little and ripped it.

Your girlfriend will thank you when you're giving her a full body massage if you have them filed down. You still end up with animal-hide tough pads at the base of your fingers even after sanding... they're just not rough.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg