The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

knees hurting when squatting

During the last 5-6 weeks my right knee has felt weird when squatting. It starts to hurt right when I hit the parallel position. I've heard people say that going ATG transfers the weight off of your knees onto your hip flexers or something like that. I normally go parallel or just below, but when i go ATG it hurts my knee even more. If this was due to a form problem wouldn't both knees be hurting? I feel zero pain in my left knee, it even hurts when hack squatting, pretty hard to mess up form there. This injury only started when I went on Madcow's 5x5 and my 3rd/4th week into the program my knee began to hurt (you squat 3x a week, 2x being heavy). What could the problem be, and should I see a doctor?

I should also note that even when i put on 135 which is pretty light for me, my knee still hurts so I dont think lowering the weight will solve the problem. Is there an exercise I can sub in for squats for a month and then see if that helps. Any suggestions would be great.
    Last edited by gator; 07-21-2006 at 12:59 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you keeping your feet flat on the floor? Some people (I was one of them) tend to push up from a squat on their toes, or the balls of their feet and this places too much stress on the knees - this was escpecially bad for me as I have isgood schlatter's disease.
    I now do box squata using a very low chair, which is good for keeping your feet flat.

I focus on my heals the whole lift and I go down till I hit my ass on my calves. I felt amazing doing my squats. And I'm always worried about my knees because they'll get hurt over nothing sometimes.

Make sure you warm up the area really good too. Get the joints lubricated well by maybe throwing another light set in there.

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousBish
    Make sure you warm up the area really good too. Get the joints lubricated well by maybe throwing another light set in there.
    I wouldn't reccomend a guy your size doing full ATF. The pressure of the calf hitting the hamstrings, if let go too far, can actual pull apart at the knee. It's a bigger problem for people with bigger/fatter legs. I'm not nearly as big as you, and I still won't go that far. I do what I call "pseudo-ATF" squats, which are well below parallel, but aren't endangering my knees.

Think of opening a door the wrong way, until the hinges have full extended and are pressing back into the frame. That's what can happen if you're not REALLY careful.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Lots of good information. The kind of shoes I wear are just some regular nike running shoes, low tops.

I'm currently taking some time off of squats, maybe 3 weeks or so and then i'll jump to lighter weight and try to focus on driving the heals and not coming forward when I push up the weight.

Iron4Life
    I saw this link in HomeYield's Journal... also highly recommended by Drew.. these 2 guys push some heavy squats and recommend these TKEs for rehabilitating and strengthing the knee..

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.a...=33895&tid=115

I did some yesterday after my squatting session.. they felt good..

I do have a problem with pushing up from the toes, I have started to place two 5lb plates on the floor and stand on them with my heals during the squat that way I can focus on driving with the heals, hopefully I can eventually take away the plates, but I always seem to want to push with my toes. I didn't know pushing with the toes could lead to kneed problems.

Knee problems are too serious, I would drop the weight a little and focus on leaning back on your heals more and train your mind not to push off your toes. With lighter weight you can focus on leaning back without falling on your ass. It sucks going down in weight but a knee injury is worse.

I would also go as far down as possible with the motion because when you try to stop the weight at parallel you are putting max pressure on the knees. Trying to stop heavy weight from moving while that weight has lots of momentum and gravity behind it with just your knees is much more scary to me than going all the way down and letting the momentum stop itself AND it also brings the hips into it more.

Just what I do. I'd wait for one of the vets to answer before you take my word.

There's 2 schools of thought here. It could be your form or you're not warmed up etc...Or you could have knee problems or an injury, in that case the last thing you want to do is continue to squat at this time.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Iron4Life
    If you are having a hard time pushing the heel into the ground.. and seem to be leaning a forward on your toes.. try stretching out your calf. This worked for me just 2 months ago...

Also, what type of shoes are you squatting in? How high is the heel?

Try widening your stance and pushing your knee out instead of in. Watch a few powerlifting videos to get an idea of what im talking about.

Occupational Hypnomania
    And instead of pushing down on your heals try to pull the floor apart, its supposed to activate the hips or something so it might take stress off the knee.