Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym challenge

Wannabebig Member

Gym challenge

The owner of my local gym throws out a challenge and reward every now and then. Latest challenge - 50 chin-ups - arms must fully extend at bottom and chin must go over the bar at top. Reward - $50 gift cert at the gym store. The only supplements I take is whey protein and occassionaly creatine but I wouldn't mind some free protein.

Looking for any suggestions on how to prep. I can do 4-5 chin-ups with two 35lb plates attached to my weight belt but I died at 28 chin-ups today. Completely out of gas. I thought I'd be able to do more but the burn was incredible and it felt like I weighed 800lb for the last couple reps.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Current Max
    Bench: 275
    Squat: 310
    Dead: 285
    5'8" 170lb

Bumper sticker: Drive it like you stole it.

Cheat. Unless it's not allowed. Use your legs to kick yourself up. Also, hunch your shoulders. This will use some of your chest to bring you up. Use a palms up grip if you are allowed. Gets more of the biceps involved.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 09-01-2004 at 08:44 AM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Good luck. The record from USMC boot camp was 47 and it was the record for at least 12 years. That was even using the old kicking technique. I was able to get 28 using the kick but would have only managed about 20 without it.

Edited. I accidetally typed a 10 instead of 20. I was able to do 28 while kipping but only about 20 from a static hang.
    Last edited by GrumpyTX; 09-01-2004 at 10:39 AM.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

do 5 sets of 10 pullups with a 5 minute break in betweeen....

Down with the Sickness
    I am with Grumpy on this one

Good Luck!

Not impossible just impossibly hard.

Wannabebig Member
    Max-Mex, thanks for the advice. I must have already rounded my shoulders because I found it odd that my chest was a little pumped after the 28 chins. For the kick, do I pull my knees up or more try to swing my legs forward?

Current Max
    5'8" 170lb

It's gonna be tough trying to doulbe how many you can do in what I'm guessing is a relatively short time.

Will the owner by paying out on this one? Magic 8-ball says, "no."
    Last edited by ElPietro; 09-01-2004 at 08:59 AM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    It's gonna be tough trying to doulbe how many you can do in what I'm guessing is a relatively short time.

Will the owner by paying out on this one? Magic 8-ball says, "no."
    Correct. It's nigh impossible to significantly improve your performance in a short time period for chinups.

That said, the best way to train for higher rep chins is probably to start chining with a slight amount of added weight. Low rep, heavy weight will build limit strength, but won't help endurance much. So, start pretending BW+10lbs is your new bodyweight and start training high reps as usual.

shave your head and body hair, lose as much wt. as possible and show up in only speedos. Thats it. really I would not wear shoes may give you some advantage,but wait until its your turn to take them off.

also I'd use straps and/or chaulk

also 50 pullups is endurance

I think a better training regime would be to go for higher reps and lower weight.
    I'd find a gravitron and do sets of 75...raising the working weight whenever you can.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 09-01-2004 at 09:29 AM.

It is all about endurance. You will be using muscles that are not particularly in the category of high endurance. I know I had to stop because my lats and biceps did not have the endurance to keep going. Worse damn burn I have ever had.

In order to kick, just imagine that your jumping off the ground and pulling your knees up. Your trying to make a "slinky" effect". When you go to lift your body with your arms, you pull you feet up fairly rapidly and bend your knees, your will then use the momentum to thrust your upper body above the bar.

Kinda hard to explain but after doing a few 100, you will catch on.

Wannabebig Member
    Bill, the shaving/speedo idea gave me a good laugh. I kind of resemble a balding ape - hair everywhere except my head.

GrumpyTX, thanks for the kick explanation. I'll give it a try.

Current Max
    5'8" 170lb

Here is another explanation:

Back in the early 80's, there was a breakdancing move called the centipede. You would lay flat on the ground and proceed to make "S" type wavy motions starting with your feet. This would propel your body forward. The kick, also known as a kip, is done similar to this motion also.

LOL, guess I just dated myself with this.

Banned
    It's $50, and you're trying to do something that's next to impossible...why bother? Maybe if it were $50,000...

Flubber

The Big Wang
    its not impossible!!..
    but it is hella hard.. how long u got to prep..
    anyways..
    good luck.. its a hard task. haha

Wannabebig Member
    No time limit on prep for this one. This challenge is open until someone gets it or everyone decides to throw in the towel. Back in early July the time frame was a couple days with about a week notice. The prize (Indian tickets) went to the highest number when you took weight used to Squat 10x/bodyweight.

Current Max
    5'8" 170lb

Wannabebig Member
    All I can say is wow. 50 reps on full chinups would be spectacular.
    A few years ago I used to be able to do 15 or so quite easily, but I was 25lb or so lighter back then. These days I can only do about 8 in a row, im also not as strong as I used to be.

Some good exercises are the wide-grip and narrow v-grip lat pulldowns.

You would get $50 quicker by searching for pennies on the ground than you would training up to 50 consecutive pullups. Get everyone to giveup and get a new contest from the manager.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

hardgaining ectomorph
    My best was about 40 when I was chinning constantly (age 16) and weighed a whole 130 lbs.
    I'm Dark, I'm Dan...I'm Darkdan
    Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by darkdan
    My best was about 40 when I was chinning constantly (age 16) and weighed a whole 130 lbs.
    That's impressive. You see it's two-fold, you have to be really strong, FOR YOUR SIZE. I'd like to see someone 220+ get anywhere near 50 chinups.

I was 212 when in the boot camp and my best was 28. I dont believe you will ever see someone over 220 get close to 50.

I agree with ya Grumpy, and not because someone that size doesn't have the strength, I've just yet to see a man that large have the muscular endurance to complete something like this. I believe the most ever recorded without the person coming off the bar, was 264, and that was set by none other than a Marine. This same Marine went on to set the 24hr record with something like 2,500+ pullups. That my friends, is insane.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    I agree with ya Grumpy, and not because someone that size doesn't have the strength, I've just yet to see a man that large have the muscular endurance to complete something like this. I believe the most ever recorded without the person coming off the bar, was 264, and that was set by none other than a Marine. This same Marine went on to set the 24hr record with something like 2,500+ pullups. That my friends, is insane.
    And I believe they were strict form pullups too!

Definately insane.