The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

I missed almost a month of training - help!

I was training (bulking) dedicatedly - 5 days a week for 6 months. However, I went to the World Cup, didn't eat/rest too well and missed almost a month of training.

Here is my concern:

The size I was prior to going to the World Cup, I was content with and ready to start cutting a bit. However, since I had almost a month of no cardio or weight training at all, my body has gone soft. I'm only defined when I flex, whereas I was defined without having to do that. I've put on body fat, no doubt.

Major points to note:

- My chest was well rounded and hard, but after having missed a month - they're still defined yet feel soft and has become pointier at the nipples, as if it's just fat and looks awkward in a tshirt.

- My lower face and neck has picked up an abundance of fat as well.

What do I need to do to get back to where I was?? Do I need to start building again? Have I lost the muscle or is it simply hidden under the fat, waiting to be revealed once more?
    Responses appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just take it up where you left off.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber
    Thanks for the responses. I'll see how it goes - right now the amt of weight I can lift has significantly decreased. It's daunting but I hope I can increase back to where I was in a short time.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    If you gained fat while you were away im gonna guess that means that you had a caloric surplus, so you should have kept the muscle you had, but its now under fat. I think a cut would do it, im not 100% sure, but im assuming thats what happened.

What was your weight before, and what is it now?

I took a month off as well.

My strength actually went up during that time surprisingly.

You'll bounce back quicker than you think I bet.
    18 Years of Age

5'7'' 140 lbs---Now 148

As of Feb. 2006------As of April 2006------As of July 2006

Bench- 155 x 2------170 x 1--------------Not Tested
    Squat- 200 x 1 (parallel)------Untested-------205 x 1 (Ass to Grass)
    Dead- Untested------235 x 2-----------250lbs x1 (3 sets of this)

I wouldn't worry too much you had a once in a lifetime experiance at the World Cup, you will get back to where you were in no time
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

Gamer/Lifter
    I agree with the others. If anything your CNS will be in for a shocker which in the long run will improve your more then otherwise. Just began where you left off. And using that extra LBs you gained and become bigger and stronger.

A lot of us take a week off here or there, some of us do it because we have no other choice some do it because they stalled and figure they need to give CNS a rest, but your month off won't kill you. You'll prob feel sore after the workout but its all natural. Just began where you left off, and you'll be bigger in no time.

And hey the world cup is a once of a lifetime exp for ost, be glad you enjoyed it I know I did.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

I'm taking about a month off starting today because I hurt my back and was too stubborn to let it heal. What can you do though? I plan on dieting down to very low bodyfat and getting ready for my next bulk. It's the best thing I can think to do, you just got to roll with the punches I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior10
    I was training (bulking) dedicatedly - 5 days a week for 6 months. However, I went to the World Cup, didn't eat/rest too well and missed almost a month of training.

Here is my concern:

The size I was prior to going to the World Cup, I was content with and ready to start cutting a bit. However, since I had almost a month of no cardio or weight training at all, my body has gone soft. I'm only defined when I flex, whereas I was defined without having to do that. I've put on body fat, no doubt.

Major points to note:

- My chest was well rounded and hard, but after having missed a month - they're still defined yet feel soft and has become pointier at the nipples, as if it's just fat and looks awkward in a tshirt.

- My lower face and neck has picked up an abundance of fat as well.

What do I need to do to get back to where I was?? Do I need to start building again? Have I lost the muscle or is it simply hidden under the fat, waiting to be revealed once more?
    Responses appreciated.
    I used to go on these monthly, sometimes 2 months sprees of not-lifting and eating whatever. When I went back to lifting, it helped to not think about things so much, rather just lift and lift hard. My body adapted well and acted as though it remembered being in shape and I went right back up to where I was pretty quick. I am talking 135 on bench my arms were shaking( I had like a 200lb bench) but I worked through it and had to re-train my body to do all the lifts. I went back up to where I was within a few weeks to a month.

So, in other words, it's most likely not something to worry about too much. Pack on some serious mass and when you feel like you're huge again, cut a little down to reveal it all!

Quote Originally Posted by LivinItUp
    I used to go on these monthly, sometimes 2 months sprees of not-lifting and eating whatever. When I went back to lifting, it helped to not think about things so much, rather just lift and lift hard. My body adapted well and acted as though it remembered being in shape and I went right back up to where I was pretty quick. I am talking 135 on bench my arms were shaking( I had like a 200lb bench) but I worked through it and had to re-train my body to do all the lifts. I went back up to where I was within a few weeks to a month.

So, in other words, it's most likely not something to worry about too much. Pack on some serious mass and when you feel like you're huge again, cut a little down to reveal it all!
    Muscle Memory

Quote Originally Posted by LivinItUp

So you're saying that although I've a bit flabbier (but the effects of bulking can still be seen), keep going with high weights to transform the fat into muscle, or use the extra lbs i have to turn muscle then? Essentially, get bigger? Then I can start cutting? Will the fat on my face and stomach decrease as well? Responses appreciated.

Thanks for the responses guys. Very encouraging.

The bodyfat is disturbing me a little, esp in the chest area (pointy nipples and all). I think I am gonna lift heavy for another 2 or 3 weeks, and then start cutting like you guys recommended.

Only issue is that I'll prob put on more fat during this time.