Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this really burn more calories?

Does this really burn more calories?

I signed up for a gym and with it I received a few personal training sessions. One of the exercises I was showed was this:
    Instead of doing a typical dumbell bench press while laying on a bench...you have your upper back supported on a medicine ball and force yourself to stay straight...as if you were laying on a bench. Once you're in this position, you would perform a dumbell bench press like usual.

My trainer claimed this burned a lot more calories because of the fact that you're using more of your muscles to stabilize yourself and keep yourself up. I'm a bit skeptical that this burned a significant amount of calories more that would justfiy making the exercise so much harder.

<----Lost confidence in 90% of trainers out there a long time ago.

Bench pressing while trying to balance on a ball, sounds downright dangerous to me. This isn't something I would ever try. Working with weights above your head is enough of a risk already and requires your full concentration.
    Last edited by Gilles1975; 07-19-2006 at 02:52 AM.

I see some big ass mofos dumbell inclining sets of 12 x 100s on the balance balls but I've never had the balls to try myself. If I don't feel safe, I don't use the weight I'm capable of... and if I don't use the weight I'm capable of what's the point?

Want to burn more calories? Add more reps.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

While I've never tried this myself, I have actually heard very good things from people who I consider to be both knowledgeable and reputable. The caloric aspect really isn't the point though, it's the development of stabilizer and core strength. I would guess that a lot of PTs get used to having to sell everything from an "it burns more calories" angle in order to get soccer moms to do it.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Your trainer has you doing something that can be useful, but he doesn't know why.

It doesn't burn more calories, but it does have a place in training if stability is a weak point.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Your trainer has you doing something that can be useful, but he doesn't know why.

It doesn't burn more calories, but it does have a place in training if stability is a weak point.
    :withstupi Wow, I've yet to read anything, down to the phrase, that Paul is off base with.

Want to increase your bench press? Bench press the normal way.

Want to work on stability and core strength while benching? Do the exercise ball.

Concerned about losing weight? Work on your diet and think about HIIT and other forms of cardio.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg

Indeed, though I'm sure it DOES burn a few more calories because of the added stabilisation aspect, but not enough to make any difference.

The trainer is also probably assuming you will be using very light weights. Most people in the gym don't train with true intensity, and even using weights that are far too light to be effective, they think they are getting a tough workout.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Thanks for the replies guys.

I figure it helps my stability...but that's not something I'm very concerned with.

I also do use less weight than I otherwise would. Then again my trainer wanted me to do 20 reps sets which I also wasn't very pleased with. I haven't lifted in about two years, but I know I can atleast be doing sets of 40 lbs per dumbell vs the 30 or 32.5 lbs he's been setting me up with.

It might burn an extra 0.00000001% calories per hour.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I find pressing on a stability ball much more comfortable on my shoulders.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Quote Originally Posted by ericg
    I find pressing on a stability ball much more comfortable on my shoulders.
    This is true. It really will protect your shoulders more so than regular benching. As others said, it's a stability exercise. That being said, I do them religiously. It's a beautiful compound movement that strengthens your core along with your pressing strength.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

As long as that sucker doesn't blow out on rep 7 of a 10 rep set. I still don't trust them. What are they weight rated for?

DJ

Most can handle around 500-700lbs with about a 350lb burst. Meaning they can take between 500-700lbs if the force is constant and not bouncing like crazy, or they can take about a 350lb quick blast. So if a hefty sized person were to fall on it, they'd have to be probably 350 or more. Most claim to be around 500lb burst but are probably a bit shy of that.

Depending on how stable a person is you could burn more calories. If you're a strong individual, it probably won't take much to keep yourself stable, but for most people that I train, its a good amount of isometric on their legs. That can increase the amount of calories you burn. Its probably not going to create a huge difference but its always a possibility.

If the goal of the workout is to do as much as possible within a limited time, then these are good. Or if you need to increase your core strength. If you're looking to bench bigger, they might not be optimal. They are easier on the shoulders as in just how people get set up on the ball.

I do these a good amount to keep up my bench core. I do enough other work with bench pressing that its not my primary work but definitely a good auxilary exercise.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

The Big Wang
    i dont know about burning more calories, but definitely balancing with a ball just increases your stability and strengthens the core.
    Weight: 175
    Height: 5'11"
    Max Bench: 300 pounds
    Six pack: Yes

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=55173
    ^^Tis I.

The others who metioned the amount of calories would be rather small are right.

However, technically it would use more.

Stabilizing would require tension in the muscle. This would require the use of phosphates for energy.

More stabilization = more phosphates.

The concept can be indicated by real life situations. For example, if you have ever held your arm or leg or whatever up for a period of time, you have likely felt a large increase in burning sensation. This is simply lactic acid, which is one the products of glycolysis.

Flexion -> increase use of phosphates -> use of glycolysis for more ATP production (more calories used) -> lactate under anaerobic conditions (depending on amount of time)

The processes go on and on but you get the idea.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 07-19-2006 at 02:25 PM.

Banned
    where in gods name did you learn all that.

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    where in gods name did you learn all that.
    Books, school, self study.

It's actually pretty widley known stuff.

Actually, the example I used I just now thought of when I posted....not that it's ground breaking or anything.

To get technical, conversion of lactate back to glucose (in the liver) requires more energy, in addition to glycolysis.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 07-19-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwish
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I figure it helps my stability...but that's not something I'm very concerned with.

I also do use less weight than I otherwise would. Then again my trainer wanted me to do 20 reps sets which I also wasn't very pleased with. I haven't lifted in about two years, but I know I can atleast be doing sets of 40 lbs per dumbell vs the 30 or 32.5 lbs he's been setting me up with.
    If you know your personal trainer is wrong and you are coming to a free website to double check that he is wrong, why are you continuing to pay him?

haha I was waiting for someone to ask me that. I joined a gym and received 5 "free" sessions.

Banned
    haha I was waiting for someone to ask me that. I joined a gym and received 5 "free" sessions.
    I think that is the only acceptable reason. I would ask him all sorts of questions at every opportunity and see if you can make him choke

Banned
    start simple, ask him waht the opposite of hypertrophy is (atrophy)

then have him explain to you concepts of biomechanics and planes of motion.

You guys are gonna love this. He told me to limit my cardio sessions to 20 minutes and to increase the intensity, never the duration. It'll burn more calories.

hahahahahahaha I'm not paying $50 a session for this ****...and I go to the gym Lance Armstrong used to go to...
    Last edited by Deathwish; 07-21-2006 at 01:31 PM.

You guys are gonna love this. He told me to limit my cardio sessions to 20 minutes and to increase the intensity, never the duration. It'll burn more calories.

hahahahahahaha I'm not paying $50 a session for this ****...and I go to the gym Lance Armstrong used to go to...
    Actually, the guys not too far off base. He's probably espousing the principles of HIIT (high intensity interval training), which is very beneficial for fat loss and cardio. A lot of people on these forums do version of HIIT.

The only part he's off base on that it can ONLY be limited to 20 minutes. It's not like you'll die if you do it for 21 or even 25 minutes. I wouldn't recommend doing it for an hour, though.
    Last edited by Guido; 07-21-2006 at 01:42 PM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I signed up for a gym and with it I received a few personal training sessions. One of the exercises I was showed was this:
    Instead of doing a typical dumbell bench press while laying on a bench...you have your upper back supported on a medicine ball and force yourself to stay straight...as if you were laying on a bench. Once you're in this position, you would perform a dumbell bench press like usual.

My trainer claimed this burned a lot more calories because of the fact that you're using more of your muscles to stabilize yourself and keep yourself up. I'm a bit skeptical that this burned a significant amount of calories more that would justfiy making the exercise so much harder.
    haha yawn..when i was working as a fitness instructor, my boss always advised people to lift weights on those stupid balls

He once told me to stop looking at a weight an lift it, to which i replied 'im training for strength, you should wait till your body is completely recovered, for heavy pulls this can take 5-10 minute' he replied with 'dont tell me about training, ive forgot more than you'll ever know' - this idiot had never even talked to me other than telling me to clean things

i replied with 'why dont you lift it then??..ive just got 9 reps out, surely you can lift it for 1??' he could not, so said nothing, an walked off

According to him, he had forgot more than ill ever know, yet at over a decade younger than him, im much bigger, stronger, faster, an in better condition...some personal trainers are great, but some are as useful as an inflatable dartboard