The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Stupid question about metabolism

I'm 16 years and and I'm 5-11 and I weigh 145 pounds. I am trying to gain weight, but when my mom sees me eating she starts saying stuff and it really bothers me. I'm seriously like pissed whenever she says some of the stuff cause it sounds so dumb. She talks about how I am going to screw up my metabolism by lifting and eating. She also says that my body is "Being told" to grow wide instead of up. Please somehow prove these ridiculous statements wrong

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

One Winged Angel MagnaSephiroth's Avatar
    I get the same thing from my family and its the fact that people cant stand to see other people better themselves with so much dicipline and have it come easy to them. Either that or she is really trying to convice to herself the things she is saying just to make herself feel happy.
    Current Routine: WBB1
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 161 (as of 7/31/06)
    171 (as of 11/13/06)
    178 (as of 1/1/07)
    171.8 (as of 2/5/07)
    165 (as of 3/5/07)

Weight Lifting Journal

If by "screw your metabolism" she means "you will increase your need for food in the future because you'll be more muscular", then she's correct - muscle is more metabolically active than fat.

If by "grow wide instead of up" she's concerned you'll remain short your whole life, well, if 5'11" is SHORT in your family ...

Eat up and keep lifting, son. Try to respectfully tune her out, or laugh it off in a lighthearted way. She means well, and there's no point arguing with her. You can always tell her that you're just eating more food and exercising, and that it keeps you off drugs ...

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    If by "screw your metabolism" she means "you will increase your need for food in the future because you'll be more muscular", then she's correct - muscle is more metabolically active than fat.

If by "grow wide instead of up" she's concerned you'll remain short your whole life, well, if 5'11" is SHORT in your family ...

Eat up and keep lifting, son. Try to respectfully tune her out, or laugh it off in a lighthearted way. She means well, and there's no point arguing with her. You can always tell her that you're just eating more food and exercising, and that it keeps you off drugs ...

This is so very true.

By any means 5'11 isn't short. My mom when I was 5'6 did the exact same to me I think i was about 15. I stopped working out till about my senior year in high school.

At 15 I was 130ish then that year, I hit a chunking phase. Gained 30 lbs on my 5'6 frame got fat, she then complained I got fat. Another year goes by I shoot up 11 inchs at a 160 lbs, apparently now i'm too skinny! lol

Now i'm 6'5 and starting to lift some what seriously again after a shoulder and knee injury, and now i'm fat to her standards. When I know i'm far too skinny. In all honesty, best thing to do is tune your mom out she means well, but it isn't always the best advice.

hehe my gf says i eat too much
    But i think she does understand the basics now. That lots of food + lifting = Yay
    lol
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 07-27-2006 at 04:58 AM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Mom's like you just the way you are and don't want you to change. She doesn't want her little boy to grow up to be a man too soon. By lifting and eating more you will start to look like a man faster than she would like.

In other words, her reasons are selfish, but not meant to be hurtful to you. Perhaps assure her that only your body and not your personality are going to change, and she might feel a little bit better about it and let you do your thing.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle