Thread: post cardio nutrition

Wannabebig Member

post cardio nutrition

I'm on a slow, clean bulk. I don't really know what to do post cardio workouts, does the am/pm rule still apply for carbs/fats?

I know that lifting creates another kind of 'carb window' like the body has in the morning, does running do the same?

Also, this is my first post. I finally registered and decided to ask you guys my questions instead of trying to find answers by browsing posts. I like this website, the community seems really helpful and I'm eager to meet you guys.

the am/pm rule i believe he is referring to is included in the 24 Temporal Diet.

Basically Carbs before lunch, carb+fat for lunch, fats after lunch. 50grams of p per meal.

It depends on what type of "cardio" you are doing. Generally no, unless you are doing High intensity cardio such as sprinting or plyometrics which will use up muscle glycogen. HIT WILL open the carb window you are referring too.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 07-25-2006 at 07:41 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Wannabebig Member
    i'm using the cardio to increase my stamina and burn fat. It's moderate intensity, I usually jog for 20-25 minutes, mixed speeds with a handful of sprints. I play pickup bball at school and I need to keep running occasionally to get my stamina up.

the am pm rule..yeah just try to eat more carbs than fat in the daytime, and taper down the carbs after 4 or 5 in the afternoon, unless its a gym day.

also, assuming the cardio isn't a medium to high intensity session, but say a half hour jog. What's the best nutritional plan for after that kind of work out?

THanks

It's so hard to say because there are so many factors... But if you are doing medium intensity with some max effort stuff in there, it's probably best to take in some moderate carbohydrates

30g of carbohydrates with 15g of protein per hour of athletic effort is a good place to start. High metabolism types might want to double that.

read this :
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1173228

should answer all your questions
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Quote Originally Posted by s0500947
    i'm using the cardio to increase my stamina and burn fat. It's moderate intensity, I usually jog for 20-25 minutes, mixed speeds with a handful of sprints. I play pickup bball at school and I need to keep running occasionally to get my stamina up.

the am pm rule..yeah just try to eat more carbs than fat in the daytime, and taper down the carbs after 4 or 5 in the afternoon, unless its a gym day.

also, assuming the cardio isn't a medium to high intensity session, but say a half hour jog. What's the best nutritional plan for after that kind of work out?

THanks
    What time of day do you lift?

What's your diet like? (grams protein, carb, fat, total calories)

Wannabebig Member
    I usually lift around 6 or 7 at night, but when i have days off or on the weekends, i go a little bit earlier, around 2 or 3 pm, to avoid the crowd.

Diet's okay, about 250g carbs, 200 g protein, maybe 80-100 g fat. I'm 165 lb and about 5'10. I have no idea what my bf% is or what my maintenance is for calories..right now i'm consuming between 2200-2600 a day.

So you train at night, but don't eat carbs around this time?

This makes no sense.

Re your diet - are you gaining, losing, or maintaining on these calories?