Thread: Energy Drinks

Energy Drinks

I've been using energy drinks for a little while since I've been working 2 jobs consistently for the past month and a half. I'll go 8am- 12 or sometimes 2 or 3. And go to my next job from 5pm-10pm. So...usually I'll feel like passing out until my next job, but instead I'll go lift harder than ever. Sometimes it seems hard to find the energy(not the will and desire) to do the lifts. So I've been drinking some energy drinks. I'm just curious if their are any bad effects to using them(I dont use them everytime, even though I want to). So..I am interested in an educated opinion concerning them. Are there any bad effects? Would it be fine to drink them everyday? 2-3 times a week? Am I preventing my body from burning things it should be and distracting it with the energy drink? I am talking about the ones you can get from you're typical gas station, like Redbull or NOS.

I haven't seen any bad changes yet..but I like to be sure of myself!

Wannabebig Member
    But to kinda answer your question...

www.slate.com/id/2126591/
    Last edited by munkey; 07-23-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Just take caffeine pills, they will be cheaper
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

I've started drinking a Rockstar before my workouts and they have been noticibly better. My urine turns dark yellow though, that can't be good for you. Moderation is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso
    I've started drinking a Rockstar before my workouts and they have been noticibly better. My urine turns dark yellow though, that can't be good for you. Moderation is a good idea.
    Rockstars are actually loaded with vitamins, including the ever coveted Taurine

I'd drink one of these over a cola.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

So before a workout, would an energy drink be favorable? Or just a no-no?

Quote Originally Posted by Eszekial
    Rockstars are actually loaded with vitamins, including the ever coveted Taurine

I'd drink one of these over a cola.
    I'm sure its better for you than cola. What's taurine?

I've tried every energy drink, and none seem to even effect me.

Red bull lists glucose and sucrose as the sources of sugar.

Sucrose is not necessarily what you want.

NOS has high fructose corn syrup as its source so it pretty much sucks. Well, not even pretty much....it does suck.

I still stick to a good e/c/a before I workout, or just caffiene before a workout.
    Every workout is a new battle
    and I always win

I've been wondering about those for a while so I picked up 2 the other day. A sugar free Full Throttle and a Sugar free Red Bull.

I wasn't impressed...

The Full Throttle actually tasted pretty good, but the Red Bull tasted like a big chemical cocktail. Neither had any effect. Nada, nothing. Had the Throttle about an hour after my morning coffee and the Red Bull maybe 2 hours later. An hour after that I had t make a coffee cause I was getting a little dopey.

What surprised me was the price. Holy hell they are expensive. As an ex-smoker who had the price of smokes as a big factor in quiting (yes, as well as my health) all I could think was that 2 energy drinks a day = a pack of smokes a day. Someone is making a fortune off that stuff.

All in all, if I had a million $$$$$ *maybe* I'd drink 4 or 5 Full Throttles a day during the summer just to have a cool drink with caffeine instead of my coffee... but really the price is just SO crazy... coffee, ephedrine, caffeine, even nicotine etc are all so much cheaper

Occupational Hypnomania
    Ive heard people died from drinking red bull and working out, something about the sugar dehydrating you. Anyways its posted on the wall of my gym so just thought id share.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnip
    Ive heard people died from drinking red bull and working out, something about the sugar dehydrating you. Anyways its posted on the wall of my gym so just thought id share.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnip
    If there is any truth to this (red bull being a cause of death) it is not for the reason you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle
    If there is any truth to this (red bull being a cause of death) it is not for the reason you mentioned.

It can't be dehydration from one redbull. Drink even just a little water and you're good.

If anything I'd blame it on lack of drinking water rather than drinking a redbull. I don't know the full story so don't get me wrong

Hey slim what's the song on you're youtube video? good vid btw, I like the song and just want to know what it is

Quote Originally Posted by LivinItUp
    Hey slim what's the song on you're youtube video? good vid btw, I like the song and just want to know what it is
    It's "These Walls" by Trapt.

I posted that video in memebers pic a few months ago and alot of people aid the song was horrible.

Lol I'm buying taurine powder and I don't even know if it's working.

I mix it in with my creatine drink.

I also mix it in with coffee, or my pre-workout drink with only dextrose.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeper
    I've been wondering about those for a while so I picked up 2 the other day. A sugar free Full Throttle and a Sugar free Red Bull.

I wasn't impressed...

The Full Throttle actually tasted pretty good, but the Red Bull tasted like a big chemical cocktail. Neither had any effect. Nada, nothing. Had the Throttle about an hour after my morning coffee and the Red Bull maybe 2 hours later. An hour after that I had t make a coffee cause I was getting a little dopey.

What surprised me was the price. Holy hell they are expensive. As an ex-smoker who had the price of smokes as a big factor in quiting (yes, as well as my health) all I could think was that 2 energy drinks a day = a pack of smokes a day. Someone is making a fortune off that stuff.

All in all, if I had a million $$$$$ *maybe* I'd drink 4 or 5 Full Throttles a day during the summer just to have a cool drink with caffeine instead of my coffee... but really the price is just SO crazy... coffee, ephedrine, caffeine, even nicotine etc are all so much cheaper

Yeah man I know. I like Rockstar (tastes pretty good) and there close to 2 bucks a can. The catch is there are two servings per can. As if anyones going to put foil over the lid and stick it back in the fridge, pfff.

What's taurine and what does it do?