The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Losing weight/belly fat

Okay, first post here.

I'm coming off a major surgery, just getting back into the swing of things at the gym and stuff. In the down time since surgery, I haven't been eating right, and have developed that stubborn ring of fat around my midsection. Didn't go anywhere else, just there. I've never really had to worry about it before, so I am unsure of the best way to go about losing it. My friend told me diet was the key and I am open to any suggestions you guys might have. Help?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The stickies contain the answers you need!

Good luck and God bless!

Congrats on taking the first step of educating yourself!
    Last edited by Eszekial; 07-24-2006 at 08:45 AM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Wannabebig New Member
    Stickies? Not sure what you are talking about.

Yeah, it has been a long long road just to get back to this point, but what doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65848

Link to the stickies

I personally used the diet linked to in the 2nd post to go from 20% bodyfat to about 13% bodyfat before I moved on to a more advanced diet (or maybe just more complicated?!).

My bodyfat is probably lower than 12.5% that I have in my sig, but i want to wait to get bod-poded before I change it.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 07-24-2006 at 08:55 AM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Wannabebig New Member
    Awesome, thanks.

I am probably around 20% right now, which is ridiculous for me. All my life I have been in the 12-14% range, but basically not doing anything for the better part of a year screwed that all up.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Why did you eat like crap after surgery? That's sort of a vital time to be eating healthy. o.O
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig New Member
    Well, I died twice during the six weeks I was in the hospital, for 8 months after I had a PICC line in my arm going directly to my heart, attached to a pump on my hip that gave me six doses of antibiotics each day, then I had a blood clot which restricted a ton of foods I could eat (mostly vegetables, because the vitamin K in them is a natural coagulant), and then I had a heart valve replaced due to the damage done from the infection I had. Basically I wasn't really too concerned about eating at that point, the whole time I was on IV meds I didn't hold it down very long anyway, but due to all that my metabolism took a nosedive. Then after I got healthy enough to be off the IV, I was pretty depressed and, as you may have heard, that doesn't lead to healthy eating habits. Thanks for asking though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma
    Well, I died twice during the six weeks I was in the hospital, for 8 months after I had a PICC line in my arm going directly to my heart, attached to a pump on my hip that gave me six doses of antibiotics each day, then I had a blood clot which restricted a ton of foods I could eat (mostly vegetables, because the vitamin K in them is a natural coagulant), and then I had a heart valve replaced due to the damage done from the infection I had. Basically I wasn't really too concerned about eating at that point, the whole time I was on IV meds I didn't hold it down very long anyway, but due to all that my metabolism took a nosedive. Then after I got healthy enough to be off the IV, I was pretty depressed and, as you may have heard, that doesn't lead to healthy eating habits. Thanks for asking though.
    Uh I guess that's fair.

But seriously: OH SH!T that's one hell of a story. Congratulations on coming so far and trying to get back in shape!

To answer your OP: you can't spot reduce (ie burn fat in one place). You lose weight all over and your body decides what comes off first. In a nutshell, eat less that you need to keep your bodyweight stable (maintenance calories), eat at least 1 g/lb LBM (lean body mass), and lift as heavy as possible. Read the stickies and you'll learn much much more!

Good luck!
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 07-24-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Well, I died twice during the six weeks I was in the hospital,
    Wow, I thought that was going to be some kind of metaphor, and then I read on...
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

wow tough course of events.

Has your doctor restricted anything on your diet or workout routine?

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma
    Good lord, man!

I'm glad you're ok.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."