Thread: Strength gain slowing to a crawl

Wannabebig Member

Strength gain slowing to a crawl

While it might be due to my body not being fully mature, I am hitting a brick wall. I am 5' 11" 183lb and 17 years old. I have followed my football lifting routines for four years then more recently (November) went on the WBBI routine. Currently my maxes are about

Bench - 290
    Squat - 370+
    Deadlift - Probably around 415 or so. I got 410 at a competition last March and I havent really gotten back into deads since recently. Yesterday I did 335 by 3 on my final set.

I feel that my leg strength is increasing a bit on the Squats but as far as Bench and possibly Deads I am just stuck. I don't know what to do to continue increasing.

I think that the WBBI routine may be too easy for me. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Last edited by CoolBeans; 01-29-2002 at 06:38 PM.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Might be time to take a week off! That method always seems to work for me. Ever try that?
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah I went to England for New Years and ended up taking about 9 days off.

Where do you fail on each of the lifts?
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Really? When you got back to it, was your workout more intense? Did you get more weight or reps or anything?

Usually, that Monday right after a week off is one intense mamma for me!

You got GREAT totals, btw! ESPECIALLY for 17!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

Wannabebig Member
    I was anxious to get back that's for sure. It was pretty intense and I got a little sore from the first week back actually.

As for failing, well I used to do lots of sets of 3s and 5s along with some higher reps during football. Now I can do the 6 sets easier but the sets of 3 are getting tough for me. I did 260 by 3 yesterday and I just about didnt get it. I usually have the most trouble on the last rep.

I don't know then... have you lost weight? That seems to affect my strength level...

Wannabebig Member
    Nah i'm still just chilling at the 180-185 mark. I think I may have lost bf%, my abs are beginning to stick out.

I mean what spacific part of the lift do you fail on? like top,midle,bottom
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member
    I'd say the bottom (bench). If I can get it to the middle then it's going all the way up. It doesn't like fail on my chest or anything but it's only a few inches off.