Thread: Newbie Trying to get bigger

Wannabebig Member

Newbie Trying to get bigger

Hello All I've been reading these forums for a while and finally joined. I have just recently starting lifting and need some advice.

I'm 25 years old, 5'7" and 195 lbs.

I want to start the wbb#1 workout, but I have a question about my diet. I've been reading that If i want to gain muscle mass I have to eat around 5k calories a day. Currently I'm eating anywhere from 2500-4000 depending on the day. If i up my caloric intake to 5000k and continue to lift hard for several months, will my stored fat be burned away due to me gaining more muscle mass, or will I just get fatter? Should i consume less calories and still lift hard?

My goal is to get into shape but I don't want to start a cut now since I don't have enough muscle to really show.

So I guess my long winded questions are this:

1. Is the wbb#1 workout a good place for me to start?
    2. How many calories should I be eating
    3. I don't have a spotter, will using the bars with the safteylocks hurt my development?

Thanks,

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFunaz
    So I guess my long winded questions are this:

1. Is the wbb#1 workout a good place for me to start?
    2. How many calories should I be eating
    3. I don't have a spotter, will using the bars with the safteylocks hurt my development?

Thanks,
    My .2's -

Though I'm a little further along I don't see why the wbb workout isn't a great place to start.

When I first started dieting (to gain) I just never let my hunger dictate when I ate....Write out a schedule and abide by it wither it be eating every two or three hours. Remember you can use shakes and some protien bars as replacement meals but don't rely on them all the time. Start at about 3,000 calories and work your way up.

If your at a gym ask someone for a spot if your really that concerned...I always do and have never been turned down.

What do you estimate your bodyfat to be?

10% being a near six pack, 20% being a soft marshmellowy inside

Realistically, based on some pretty rudimentary calculations, you should be bulking on about 3400 calories a day. that should be about 15% above your maintenance.

So yeah, you should be quite a bit below 5000 kcal

to answer your questions in turn:
    1) Excellent place to start! Congrats in taking the first step to breaking your first neck via double take hawt bawd action! (it has been done).
    2) 3400 is an excellent place to start. Basic calculation being bodyweight x15 for maintenance (2925) x 1.15 (for 15% above maintenance), leaving you at just under 3400.
    3) Free weights are ideal, but technically no... Do what you can when you can and don't regret it. Get a spotter when you can. You can't always have a spotter but you can always be safe.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

It's possible to lift heavy w/o a spot. If you fail (let's say at bench) you can usually let the plates slide off the sides, just don't lock the plates on. Or you put the bar on one of the catch hooks, depending on the style of bench you have. When I want to lift something I'm honestly unsure about, that is when I ask for a spot.

--Also it makes for a nice scene if you fail and have like 6 plates on there, haha! Failing at squats are always funny, but rarely happens for me. I see it like I saw skateboarding...I'm going to have to take a few falls to make it.
    Last edited by LivinItUp; 07-24-2006 at 05:16 PM.

is way too skinny!
    Just use a power rack on squats and set the bars on the side to be only SLIGHTLY lower than your body at a full squat.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough