Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlifts and the Chiropractor

Deadlifts and the Chiropractor

Just wanted to share something with my fellow lifters. 7 weeks ago I injured myself on the leg press machine. I hurt my back pretty badly (going to deep). I am no newbie weightlifter--I have been training for 17 years. I heard to "cracks" in my lower back vertebrae while trying to leg press 550lbs.

Before my injury, I had been making some pretty steady gains on my new routine and was quite pleased with my results. I had trouble deadlifting though. I found it very difficult to get past 245lbs. I always use good form, but I never felt "stable" while doing them. Nor did i feel strong doing them. This injury couldn't have come at a worse time. I just moved 130 miles away from my current chiropractor so going back to see her was not an option. I asked her to recommend someone new to me from her "book of chiropractors" that use the same manipulative methods of getting my bones to realign as she did. She recommended a male chiropractor. I personally have no preference to male or female as long as they can get me pain free.

Well, I went to see this male chiropractor and his "touch" was a lot rougher than i am used to. He even had me a bit scared in some situations because I felt things move that I never felt before. After the third adjustment, I felt more stable around my core for some reason--probably due to the "things moving that I never felt before". hehe--yeah I can put 2 and 2 together and get 5. LOL

Well, since that time I have been increasing my deadlifting weight at an alarmingly fast pace. And I feel stable throughout!!!

Remember I started out at 245lbs x 3. I have been going heavier for 4 weeks straight and I hit a new personal record as of today with the feeling I could still do more!!!

I am currently deadlifting 335lbs x 6 and I felt that 350 is definitely do-able next time around. Call it psychological if you wish, but I feel my results are more than that. My back never felt better!!

I just thought I'd share.

P.S.--Current stats

Male

5' 7"

~190lbs
    Last edited by Burner27; 07-24-2006 at 08:44 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    That's awesome dude. Keep it up. I hope you don't hurt yourself like that again. I guess the spine adjustment was just what you needed? lol
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 07-24-2006 at 08:33 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Cool, I've never seen a Chiropractor. But I am thinking about it. Since at work it requires a lot of bending down, picking up stuff.

Also I am starting to feel some kind of weird pain everytime I bend over (like a Romanian Deadlift)... no pain if I just bend over with a rounded back though.

It feels uncomfortable unracking barbell to do squats, doing deadlifts. But pain is tolerable.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

It was weird. I deadlifted like 245lbs and then I practiced a bunch and deadlifted a lot more. But there wasn't a chiropractor involved. Hmmm.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

ya congrats! im glad ur gaining..keep it up, becareful with ur back

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    It was weird. I deadlifted like 245lbs and then I practiced a bunch and deadlifted a lot more. But there wasn't a chiropractor involved. Hmmm.
    If the goal of your post was to say that I should practice more and that was the result of my gains......think again.

Like I said, I am no newbie when it comes to weightlifting and I have been doing deads for years. My progress has been very slow up until 4 weeks ago. My back never felt stable throughout the years when doing deads. I always thought I may be using bad form but I checked myself in the mirror and also had someone else watch me while I was doing the exercise to make sure I wasn't rounding my back.

I thought since I was going to a chiropractor already that I shouldn't have these problems but having more force applied to my body during my adjustments may have realigned something that, even though didn't cause me pain, was impeding my gains.

Congrats, Current goal is 3 plates on all 3 of my lifts. I think my squat will get there first though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui
    Congrats, Current goal is 3 plates on all 3 of my lifts. I think my squat will get there first though.

Coqui from Gen[M]ay?

Don't start ****ting on someone with your petty sarcasm. Either offer some words of encouragment or shut your mouth. I'm so sick of reading your snide remarks you post around here.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

seriously, sometimes the sarcasm in these threads angers me...either be helpful or don't post...no need to be an ass
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Quote Originally Posted by Burner27
    Coqui from Gen[M]ay?

Coqui formerly from Gen[M]ay. I haven't posted there in over 2 months now.

Sarcasm and all, he's making a good point here.

Training for 17 years with a 245 x 3 deadlift speaks volumes.

You guys are too quick to get pissed.
    Last edited by Patz; 07-25-2006 at 08:49 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    Sarcasm and all, he's making a good point here.

Training for 17 years with a 245 x 3 deadlift speaks volumes.

You guys are too quick to get pissed.
    But if you read my posts again, you'll see that I stated I may have had something impeding my gains by being out of alignment. You also twisted my words around. I haven't been doing dead lifts for 17 years as you "cut and pasted" together to fit your needs here.

What I did state was "I had been making some pretty steady gains on my new routine and was quite pleased with my results. I had trouble deadlifting though. I found it very difficult to get past 245lbs."

Did I tell you how long I have been doing deads for, no. So before you attack other people here for being quick on the draw by judging others, you may want to make sure you have your facts straight.
    Last edited by Burner27; 07-25-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Chiropractors have done wonders for me over the years.

I highly recommend.

There have been a few times where i injured myself and was unable to even walk without assistance. After the chirpractors visit, i was hoping around like a normal human again.

Don't diss the chiropractor.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 07-25-2006 at 09:37 AM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

But if you read my posts again, you'll see that I stated I may have had something impeding my gains by being out of alignment. You also twisted my words around. I haven't been doing dead lifts for 17 years as you "cut and pasted" together to fit your needs here.

What I did state was "I had been making some pretty steady gains on my new routine and was quite pleased with my results. I had trouble deadlifting though. I found it very difficult to get past 245lbs."

Did I tell you how long I have been doing deads for, no. So before you attack other people here for being quick on the draw by judging others, you may want to make sure you have your facts straight.
    Settle down. I never attacked you, or twisted your words. you're 100% correct--you NEVER said how long you've been doing any lift.

The simple fact is, 245 x 3 isn't that heavy for any experienced lifter. So, someone lifting as long as you with that deads number (and a 550 leg press, worried about going "too deep"..depth isn't an issue if you're using good form, and not getting too big for your britches) is either doing some things wrong, or only just starting to lift heavy and focus on the movements that leave you breathing hard, and expending real energy. I surmised that you're an experienced beginner, much like a lot of the world when they stop seeing gains or come across some tidbit of information that helps them realize it's not just about giong to the gym and doign the movements.

Chiropractors make *minor* adjustments--the guy didn't fix some major issue, or you would have felt it day-in, and day-out (would have also looked like Quasimodo). And, if you had consistent pain from deads before, it was most likely due to bad form (no matter what people have told you about the way you lift). I've done it myself, and seen post after post where some member complains of pain in the center of the lower back. It's always corrected by dropping the ass more on deads, and not doing the bulk of the movement with the back only. This takes the stress off the spine, and balances it out tot he legs where it belongs. Trust me, you can do a deadlift without rounding the back and still have bad form (an exaggerated, and very effective version of that would be SLDL). As long as the back can handle the weight, you're good to go. You can even do it without that pain in the spine for 2 days after, if you don't max out every week and keep the sets well below your max.

I'll wager the chiro visit made you more cautious, thereby stricting up your form. Confidence ensued, allowing you to keep reaching for the stars and hit those bigger numbers. There's not a damned thing wrong with that.

5/3/1 Journal

Settle down. I never attacked you, or twisted your words. you're 100% correct--you NEVER said how long you've been doing any lift.

The simple fact is, 245 x 3 isn't that heavy for any experienced lifter. So, someone lifting as long as you with that deads number (and a 550 leg press, worried about going "too deep"..depth isn't an issue if you're using good form, and not getting too big for your britches) is either doing some things wrong, or only just starting to lift heavy and focus on the movements that leave you breathing hard, and expending real energy. I surmised that you're an experienced beginner, much like a lot of the world when they stop seeing gains or come across some tidbit of information that helps them realize it's not just about giong to the gym and doign the movements.

Chiropractors make *minor* adjustments--the guy didn't fix some major issue, or you would have felt it day-in, and day-out (would have also looked like Quasimodo). And, if you had consistent pain from deads before, it was most likely due to bad form (no matter what people have told you about the way you lift). I've done it myself, and seen post after post where some member complains of pain in the center of the lower back. It's always corrected by dropping the ass more on deads, and not doing the bulk of the movement with the back only. This takes the stress off the spine, and balances it out tot he legs where it belongs. Trust me, you can do a deadlift without rounding the back and still have bad form (an exaggerated, and very effective version of that would be SLDL). As long as the back can handle the weight, you're good to go. You can even do it without that pain in the spine for 2 days after, if you don't max out every week and keep the sets well below your max.

I'll wager the chiro visit made you more cautious, thereby stricting up your form. Confidence ensued, allowing you to keep reaching for the stars and hit those bigger numbers. There's not a damned thing wrong with that.
    Experienced beginner for the movement or exercise, right?

Experienced beginner for the movement or exercise, right?
    I meant experienced lifter, but beginner to the current philosphy (whatever it may be). That's what I took you for. That's most of us. That's how we learn. Deadlifts are like a unicorn these days. Some see them as a myth, but there are a few who swear they've seen them done in their gym, so a few will pick up the cause and go on that quest. The actual knowledge required is hard to come by--especially if you don't have someone who can really give solid input about it. I've seen deads in my gym maybe 3-4 times ever and now that I know how to properly do them, I know I'm the only one. It took me meeting up with people from this site a year and a half later to figure that out.

The same goes for squats. There's one other guy, and me, who have a clue. The rest are big and small guys doing 1/4 reps. That one other guy got me straight on those. If not for him, I'd still be stuck at 185 and scared beneath the bar, hating squat day. Now, I look forward to it more than any workout.

There are so many pains, and losses of strength that can occur in the slightest deviation from proper form, it's amazing sometimes. My squat jumped from 185 x 5 to 225 x 5 or 245 x 2 and still climbing steadily (while eating 1000 calories under maintenance) just because I started hard work on my core and make a conscious effort to tighten my abs during the descent.

It's all about the form.
    Last edited by Patz; 07-25-2006 at 10:13 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

The post read like an advertisement for chiropractic, without any suitable evidence or reasoning.

Does the original poster mean to say that he was getting bad chiropractic care for a long time and that prevented him from deadlifting properly? Why then, would you want to "use the same manipulative methods of getting my bones to realign as she did"?

I mean, she must have been actively hurting you if you were only deadlifting 245 after 17 YEARS of training and who knows how long of "adjustment." And you ask her where to get MORE of this treatment? Are there extenuating circumstances?

I'll call BS when I see. Particularly when I see BS that may be injurious to others.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I meant experienced lifter, but beginner to the current philosphy (whatever it may be). That's what I took you for. That's most of us. That's how we learn. Deadlifts are like a unicorn these days. Some see them as a myth, but there are a few who swear they've seen them done in their gym, so a few will pick up the cause and go on that quest. The actual knowledge required is hard to come by--especially if you don't have someone who can really give solid input about it. I've seen deads in my gym maybe 3-4 times ever and now that I know how to properly do them, I know I'm the only one. It took me meeting up with people from this site a year and a half later to figure that out.

The same goes for squats. There's one other guy, and me, who have a clue. The rest are big and small guys doing 1/4 reps. That one other guy got me straight on those. If not for him, I'd still be stuck at 185 and scared beneath the bar, hating squat day. Now, I look forward to it more than any workout.

There are so many pains, and losses of strength that can occur in the slightest deviation from proper form, it's amazing sometimes. My squat jumped from 185 x 5 to 225 x 5 or 245 x 2 and still climbing steadily (while eating 1000 calories under maintenance) just because I started hard work on my core and make a conscious effort to tighten my abs during the descent.

It's all about the form.
    I agree with you about the exercises. I used to be a belt-dependent squatter until I was guided as to how to do them properly without the belt. Sure, I took a hard shot at my ego because even though i was going to parallel with my squats while using the belt, I was doing no justice to strengthening my core. I also was instructed on how to properly do ATF squats and now, like you, look forward to squat day. My squats with the belt were around 290lbs, I took off the belt and did ATF squats. I watched the weight drop to 205lbs--I was devistated. I kept at them though and now I am doing ATF @ 275lbs only 9 weeks later (with a small break in between while my back healed from the leg press injury)

hmmm, I had a similar situation. I kept eating more and lifting real hard and I made progress. Yet how can that be possible since I didnt see a chiro.

Not trying to be a dick but if you think a "back alignment" is the key to your deadlifting progress then you need to read more and believe less hype.

And just to make something clear. I'm not necassarily dissing on chiropractors. There really are some good ones out there that can really help some peoples situations. There are also a lot of crazy ass nuts too.
    Last edited by smalls; 07-25-2006 at 12:56 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

The post read like an advertisement for chiropractic, without any suitable evidence or reasoning.

Does the original poster mean to say that he was getting bad chiropractic care for a long time and that prevented him from deadlifting properly? Why then, would you want to "use the same manipulative methods of getting my bones to realign as she did"?.
    Did I say i was getting bad chiropractic care anywhere in my thread or are you interpreting it that way? If you are interpreting it that way you are incorrect.

I mean, she must have been actively hurting you if you were only deadlifting 245 after 17 YEARS of training and who knows how long of "adjustment." And you ask her where to get MORE of this treatment? Are there extenuating circumstances?
    Again, you are changing the words of my post. I NEVER said I was deadlifting for 17 years. Point out where I said that and I will apologize. You won't find it, my friend. Stop twisting my words. My female chiropractor was never hurting me, she lacked the ability to provide more force to my body to make the adjustments necessary.

I'll call BS when I see. Particularly when I see BS that may be injurious to others.
    Well there is no BS here, you're just uninformed and opinionated on what you do not know. You only view things from the surface without ever investigating what is being said.

If the chiro helped your back and you can now deadlift pain free, great stuff. I won't argue that.

But man, 17 years of training ... what the hell were you doing during that time??
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    If the chiro helped your back and you can now deadlift pain free, great stuff. I won't argue that.

But man, 17 years of training ... what the hell were you doing during that time??
    What do you mean? I did everything else but deadlifts. I squatted, benched, etc...

I started out at 5' 7" and 122lbs

Now, 17 years later, I am still 5' 7" (guess weightlifting doesn't make you taller--hehe) and 190lbs I am not fat by any means and in my 20s i was squatting around 350lbs and benching 315lbs. Needless to say that life got in the way and for a little while I was not as consistant as I was but now I am very consistant with my training.

I am not sure what your are asking.
    Last edited by Burner27; 07-25-2006 at 02:01 PM.

What do you mean? I did everything else but deadlifts. I squatted, benched, etc...

Now, 17 years later, I am still 5' 7" (guess weightlifting doesn't make you taller--hehe) and 190lbs I am not fat by any means and in my 20s i was squatting around 350lbs and benching 315lbs. Needless to say that life got in the way and for a little while I was not as consistant as I was but now I am very consistant with my training.

I am not sure what your are asking.
    He had a valid question, but you just answered it with the edit. Your deadlift is skyrocketing, and it's because you're only catching up to the potential of your build (based on your old numbers).

5/3/1 Journal

He had a valid question, but you just answered it with the edit. Your deadlift is skyrocketing, and it's because you're only catching up to the potential of your build (based on your old numbers).

Hehe, I didn't think I could "recapture my youth" but I guess anything is possible, huh?