The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

cardio while bulking.....need some advice

Im currently training to try ang gain some muscle, but dont want to realy forget about cardio all together, do any of you have any advice on what sort of cardio i should do? how much? and when?

cheers

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What's the rest of your routine?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    At the mo i do i 4 day split

mon - back, shoulders

wide grip pullups - 3 - 6x8
    t bar row - 3 - 6x8
    dead lifts - 3 - 6x8
    shrugs - 3 - failure

military press - 3 - 6x8
    upright row - 3 - 6x8
    rear raises thing think there called for
    the posterier or summut cant remember tbh - 3 - 12, 10 ,8

tue - chest

incline dumbell press - 3 - 6x8
    flat bench - 3 - 6x8
    incline flies - 3 - 6x8

thu - legs

not done for a while due to injury if you could give me some ideas to get me back on track with my legs would be great

sat - bis, tris

hammers - 2 - 6x8
    barbell curl - 2 - 6x8

close grip bench press - 2 - 6x8
    pushdowns - 2 - 6x8
    weighted dips 2 - failure

if you think any of this could be improved please feel free to let us know, hope this helps cheers.

If you can deadlift, why can't you squat? What's your injury?

Either way, I would add 1-2 days of sprinting on off days. That should be plenty to maintain a reasonable level of conditioning while you bulk. Just be sure to account for the extra calories you will burn.

Wannabebig Member
    Jus an old injury i got a while a go just flares up when i do direct leg work doesnt seem to bother to bother them when i dead lift, how does the routine seem? its a new one i have been doing for a few weeks now wat do u reckon?

I would see a physiotherapist to determine why this old injury is still causing you problems. More than likely it is a form issue.

I personally don't like the routine, but I don't like any routine that doesn't have squats.

Wannabebig Member
    do you have any suggestions on how i could improve it?

Yeah, do 3 full body days or 2 upper and 2 lower. Add in a couple days of sprinting and eat lots of good food.

Wannabebig Member
    Are u not a beleiver in split routines? wont working all upper/lower body parts in one session take a good few hours? dont think i could work all body parts and keep good form throughout the session. do you reduce the number or exercises and or sets per ech muscle group or summut?

No, it shouldn't take more time than what you're doing now. 3-4 exercises per day and you can hit all the major movements.

Wannabebig Member
    do you have any examples you could show us wouldnt mind giving it a try as they say more isnt always better.

There are a couple of examples floating around right now. Do a search on "Bill Starr" and "Rippetoe" on this forum and you should find two routines that are full body 3x a week. You could also look into something based on Westside (2 upper/2 lower) for a 4 day split.

Wannabebig Member
    Arnt thoe routines for beginners i wouldnt class my self as a bigginer been training for a good year and half to 2 years now, would just like to change the way i train spice things up abit

Don't take this as an insult, but you're still a beginner. The question you asked is pretty basic. The routine looks like something you grabbed out of a bodybuilding magazine. And trying to label a routine as "beginner" or "advance" never sits well with me ... simple basics will work for 99.99% of lifters and 99.99% of lifters will never advance to the point of requiring something more specific because they don't have the consistency and dedication required to take full advantage of the simple basics.

Wannabebig Member
    i totaly agree with u ( no offense taken ) i dont see myself as a pro or anything the only problem is i cant see how that routine would be beneficial, supose i wont know unless i try it tho, jus dont seem enough work for the major muscle groups back, chest etc. what sort of routine do you follow?

I've used VERY similar routines with great success. So has my gf. We come from very different training backgrounds. I also know several other people who had awesome success using "beginner" programs, even though they were already big and strong.

My current routine is a little more complicated, but based around similar principles.

day 1: lift
    day 2: metcon
    day 3: metcon
    day 4: off
    repeat

Lift day involves 1 ME exercise, 1 DE exercise, 1 RE exercise for olympic lift practise, 1 plyometric/reactive exercise, and 1 single-leg or horizontal row exercise.

The ME/DE exercises are paired as Squat/Bench, Bench/Squat, Deadlift/Push Press, and Push Press/Deadlift. That means I squat heavy every 16 days. When I plateau on a particular lift, I'll replace it with something similar (replace squats with box squats, etc).

The oly lift practise rotates between cleans and snatches.

The plyo/reactive exercise follows the ME exercise. So if it's ME Lower, I'll do a lower body plyo and vice versa.

The prehab work is the opposite of the ME exercise. So if it's ME Lower, I'll do the horizontal rowing (upper).

I then apply this pattern to a medium/low/high/deload periodization so that my volume is constantly varied. This helps prevent burnout.

The metcon (metabolic conditioning) is done using Crossfit's workout of the day. If it's not a metcon workout, I'll sub something that is.

How's that?

Wannabebig Member
    Ok so maybe i am a "beginner" hehe, to be honest non of that makes sense to me never heard of metcom and the other stuff what is it in basic terms?

cheers for the advice by the way

We are all beginners at some level or another, that's why I don't like to classify routines as such.

Seriously, give the 3x/week full body routine a shot with 2 days of sprinting. I think you will be pleasantly surprised in how well it works.

Oh, and here are some of the terms ...

ME = max effort. Most people refer to this when testing 1 rep max (1RM).
    DE = dynamic effort. Gives you an opportunity to improve form and speed.
    RE = repetitive effort. Commonly used for hypertrophy purposes.
    Metcon = metabolic conditioning. Improves your body's ability to use energy via different pathways, mental toughness, work capacity, muscle balance, vo2max, lactate threshold, etc. etc.

Wannabebig Member
    Cheers for the advice m8 will give it a try see what results i get