Thread: Personal Trainer Certification?

Wannabebig Member

Personal Trainer Certification?

Hi everyone,
    I have a question that needs an answer. I am gonnna be getting my personal trainer certification very soon, but I can't decide who to get it with? I know there is a few things you look for, like it should be approved by the ncca and other things. I have been looking at ACE (american council on exercise), NESTA (natonal exercise & sports trainers association), NFPT (National Federation of Professional Trainers), and NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine). With one of these is the best and or is there another place that is better?

http://www.nsca-lift.org/

ISSA is another.

Check with places you might be interested in working for someday - they will tell you which certifications they look for, then choose accordingly.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

NSCA is one that was recommened to me (specifically CSCS certification)
    I also think the other was ACSM or something like that...

Wannabebig Member
    are the one's I listed good?

Of the ones you listed the NASM is the best one. I either recommend to people the NSCA-CSCS if you have the knowledge and money. The NASM is really good as well as the NSCA-CPT.

Of those others you listed, you're better off saving your time and money. If you need a quick and easy one, those will do but the ones that are getting people somewhere these days are with the NSCA or NASM.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

ISSA got me my job.

I agree with HY that NSCA or NASM are the best out there currently.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Im getting certified through NASM right now. All the ones that most gyms will accept for their trainers (you'll have to ask them as most places differ) will cost you around $500. The Gold's by my house that I am trying to get hired at used to accept ISSA but recently only accepts NASM so thats what I am getting. I have heard from a few other sources that NASM is one of the best, too.
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe