The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

About To Give Up - Need Advice

First of all its been quite a while since ive been on WBB forums. Its also been a couple of months since ive lifted as well. This is partually due to reasons out of my control (family death in may and operation in june), and just lack of motivation to get back into it. If anyone somehow remembers me at all, I was lifting fine for a couple of months before all of this, and I enjoyed it too. However, I have been battling chronic stomach problems that do not allow for me to follow any type of weightlifting diet (or normal food diet for that matter). Anyways, since I cannot follow these diets I am doubting that I will ever be able to put on muscle and get stronger like I once hoped for. I tried posting on the nutrition forum about this but it didnt really work out to well despite getting a few replies. Any advice is greatly appreciated. If it helps, I cannot tolerate any types of sugars (lactose, fructose, sugar alcohols, barely aspartame), and I usually do not eat more than 2,000 calories a day just to keep stomach problems to a minimum. That means no protein bars, shakes, high calorie stuff, vitamins, protein powders etc. and the list goes on and on and on.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    a large part of my diet consists of

cheerios at like 11am
    no lunch
    dinner at 3pm if i work that night or 5/6pm if i dont - streakums, chicken pattys, plain burgers (turkey or beef), plain grilled chicken breast or wings, french fries, mac and cheese
    snacks - TONS of low fat pretzels

those are the only foods i really eat these days that i found have a minimum effect on my stomach, and are basically what i was trying to lift with. Also problems with even these foods arise as a rarely have time to make them, and over last 6 months i am commonly feeling reflux right below my chest, in the middle making it even harder to eat before going to work at night. as a good friend of mine once recently said "man, god hates you"

i figured this would get moved lol...i guess it really isnt much of a journal lol. more of a nutritional rant.
    Last edited by atreyuballa87; 07-25-2006 at 09:37 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Have you been to an allergist/doctor about this?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Sounds like you have an ulcer there hero.

Go do your doctor and get it taken care of.

You should be back in eating form in no time.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Wannabebig Member
    i was diagnosed with IBS in October of 2003 after suffering in silence for nearly a whole year. This was after the stool test, bloodword, and colonoscopy all came back clear. It has only been since like April 2006 that I started having even more complex problems that feel like acid reflux. I am also active on IBS boards, www.ibsgroup.org and just posted about 10 minutes ago to see if others recgonized it. And also, just to state it and help support awareness a bit for others, IBS is a real condition that is not just in the head like it was thought to be for decades.

Erp, suxs man...!

nothing a little bit of "this flesh a tomb" and "ain't love grand" can't fix, yeah?

or my personal favorite "Ex's & Oh's"

Wish i could offer you some advice other than my favorite tracks lol!
    Last edited by Eszekial; 07-25-2006 at 10:05 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal

Wannabebig Member
    atreyu? one of my favorite bands. just saw them live at ozzfest too through all my stomach pains it does help to listen to them lol
    Last edited by atreyuballa87; 07-25-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyuballa87
    atreyu?
    One and only.
    Eszekial's Journal

Wannabebig Member
    i really dont wanna g ive up lifting because i do enjoy it, but if im not gonna g ain anytthing from it then i dont wanna be wasting my time...i know it seems like alot of moaning and such but im sorry and cant help it....ive been through so much these past 3.5 years.
    Last edited by atreyuballa87; 07-25-2006 at 11:03 PM.

I've got IBS with dumping syndrome and, even though I've just retooled my diet, I'm still getting my maintenance calories in (with less pain). Here's what I'm eating:

Low-Sugar quaker instant oatmeal - yes, plain old steel roll would be even better but I can't stand the taste
    ON Whey - whey protein doesn't agitate my stomach
    Soy Milk - One glass a day, mostly for the nutritional value
    Chicken (white) - Dark and skinned chicken is evil for us, but white chicken well cooked is not
    Salmon - Fish is good
    Corn chips - Tostitos (plain only!) - no sugar, no fat. low sodium - you won't miss potato chips
    White potatoes
    Sweet potatoes
    Tortilla bread -- stuff it full of the salmon and some lettuce. Add in some virgin olive oil. It's tasty.
    Vegtables - They're a pain to digest but you have to eat them. Make sure you eat them with something else from the 'good' list, such as tortilla bread or a potato

And, MOST IMPORTANT I've just learned, a soluble fiber supplement. I don't like metamucil but I'm liking Benefiber.

Everything there is from the good list (or for the meats is unlisted, which is 'neutral').

When it comes time to bulk I'll add in some well ground peanuts or natural peanut butter and some extra teaspoons of olive oil.

If 1987 is your birthday I've been dealing with IBS longer than you've been alive. It sucks but you have to play the hand you're dealt. Don't let it rule you... it's painful but not deadly (unless like me you lose consciousness during severe attacks and plow your car off the road).

The most important thing is to not do anything you're not willing to pay for. Everything has its price. If you want that slice of cake from time to time then - EAT IT. Just be aware that you WILL feel like **** later and be willing to accept. Same for steak, ice cream, and everything else good in life.

Don't let IBS rule you.

Edit: As for the acid reflux... I get that from time to time too. Both tums and pepto work nicely to settle mine down but you might need a stronger antacid. Ask your doctor about a prescription strength antacid if it bothers you on a daily basis. Also, don't slouch or lay down after eating.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 07-26-2006 at 05:28 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    yeah when i was lifting i was eating many of those things you mentioned. around the same time i started to lift though was when i first got symptoms of acid reflux/ulcer/whateveriswrong so it was with limited success. during a normal day i barely eat say around 2,000 calories or else its gonna get worse ya know.

ive been taking metamucil for 3 years and while it usually helps greatly, nothing is perfect and i often find myself looking for alternative ways to cope.
    Last edited by atreyuballa87; 07-26-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Dicetel helped my day to day symptoms quite a bit. I only discontinued taking it because it was unable to do a thing for my particular complication... and the complication is what I wanted to treat most. When I was taking dicetel (that's a brand name... I can't remember the medical ingredient) it took a LOT of steak to overload it and trash me.

There are some medications out there for people with IBS without complications. Talk to your doctor some more... but mostly you have to stick to the diet, as crappy as it is. Remember, your body doesn't know what a calorie is... if you find food that doesn't bother you, truly doesn't bother you, then any amount of it SHOULDN'T affect you... whether it's 1500 cals worth or 4000 cals worth. Now, there are a lot of borderline foods, like 95% of all whole grains and vegtables, that WILL nuke you in mass quantities.

Stop worrying or fearing your IBS: stress only makes it worse. If you like to lift, lift. Don't go for the big bulks or severe cuts - keep your diet moderate and think big picture. It's hard, I know, but you don't HAVE to become an 8% ripped monster or a 30%+ powerlifting beast to enjoy this sport.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

Wannabebig Member
    i agree i dont worry about the big bulks and cuts, im just trying to add a little bit of strength and muscle to help me with things like everyday confidence to being able to compete with friends more in good old recreational sports that we tend to throw together with the group once and a while.

knowing that, do you think a 2000-2500 calorie IBS diet will allow me to achieve the results im looking for? thats my main concern.

There is only ONE way to find out. I'm on a 2000-2500 a day eating cycle myself right now to see how far I can go. If it's not far then I WILL be going to a 2250-2750 IBS diet. If that doesn't work then I'll be going to a 2500-3000 IBS diet. A second salmon burger in a tortilla shell for dinner sounds fine with me.

Wannabebig Member
    it definetely sounds like a good start. good to see someone else on here who has same problems as me. im considering reworking my entire schedule until college starts up again sept 5. maybe lift in early morning, come home get fiber and stuff in and done, work like 2-7ish then come home and eat dinner after. right now im struggling as you probaly realized lol. thanks alot for your help though i think its starting to shine new light on me

Think about it like this: All that work, time and effort you put into this sport will be gone if you decided to stop completely. Keep pushing ahead and that's what will make you a true weightlifter. No one ever said the lifestyle was easy, especially in your case, but it's that much more worth it having to give that much more effort.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

If you have acid reflux, why don't you take a proton pump inhibitor, like Nexium, or Aciphex to put out the fire? I tell you those drugs prob saved my life. I've gotten now to where I only take them when I need them, but I tell you what, until I eliminated my trigger foods I had to take them everyday. They are hella expensive without insurance, though - but if they give you your life back....

DJ

Wannabebig Member
    the acid reflux normally only bothers me on days where i work that night. i work part time nights. i dont really notice it as much when im not at work to be honest. maybe once school starts again, i can get some kind of set work schedule like Tue/Thur/Sat and lift Mon Wed Fri ya know