The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bench Press Butt Lifting

I'm wondering.. what does it mean if you lift your butt of the bench while bench pressing? Too much weight? I used to see A LOT of people do it in weight lifting in school, and every once in a while I'll see some guys doing it at the gym. I just assume they can't handle the weight but I want to confirm this. I however have never lifted my butt off the bench, it's just always felt wrong to do so because once I did it while maxing out.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    I don't know if it means anything like too much weight....all I know is it is bad for your back and will get you DQed at a powerlifting meet.

I myself have some problems with lifting off the bench during a big arch, especially when im going 300+ for reps. I believe it gives you better leverage, less space to bring the bar down, and incorperates different muscles.

If you have to lift your butt off the bench then your using too much weight. Lifting your butt off is cheating.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Yeah, that's what I thought too. So should I tell them that.. or let them figure it out when they start getting back pains?

if you'd like too. They are doing incorrect form if they are doing it like that so you could point that out to them, I sometimes tell people at the ymca they are doing things wrong, sometimes they are glad you give them advice, sometimes they get pissed.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Yeah, I figure they will act immature, but just because I like to help people.. I'll do it anyways.

Its a hard habit to break, shouldn't effect too much unless its a constant habit. Wouldn't bother trying to help others out unless your benching 100+ pounds more then them. I remember a 200 pound squater trying to give me advice on lifting and I laughed in his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    Its a hard habit to break, shouldn't effect too much unless its a constant habit. Wouldn't bother trying to help others out unless your benching 100+ pounds more then them. I remember a 200 pound squater trying to give me advice on lifting and I laughed in his face.

I agree with the advice thing. I say if you are lifting with the person or maybe spotting them and they don't seem like a tuff guy then offer some advice. But for your benching more than a person comment i disagree 100%...there are a ton of people who are strong but use terrible form...strength doesnt always correlate with how much someone know or how good their form is.

Actually when I see them doing that, they are lifting about as much weight as me or a little bit more.. if they were doing it properly I'm sure they'd be doing less.

Jinkies you talk some crap mate. What is the point of laughing in someones face? although you 'may' have lifted heavier than him he may have had superior technique? Childish comments like that do nobody any favours and do not promote a good attitude on the forum imo.
    " People just don't land on mountaintops… they had to climb."

Umm, you aren't talking to me are you..? Because if you are my point was not to make fun of people.

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualoo
    Umm, you aren't talking to me are you..? Because if you are my point was not to make fun of people.
    No.. 1r15h stated Jinkies name...

Quote Originally Posted by 1r15h
    Jinkies you talk some crap mate. What is the point of laughing in someones face? although you 'may' have lifted heavier than him he may have had superior technique? Childish comments like that do nobody any favours and do not promote a good attitude on the forum imo.
    :withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    Wouldn't bother trying to help others out unless your benching 100+ pounds more then them. I remember a 200 pound squater trying to give me advice on lifting and I laughed in his face.
    Yeah.. perhaps that person giving advice is lifting judge, a coach or an experienced lifter coming back from an injury...

So make sure you look at everyone's signature on WBB before you read their thread replies!!! Because if they lift less then you, then they can't possibly know anything more then you... or offer any good advice!!!

<< please note - this last paragraph is stated with a lot of sarcasm>>
    Last edited by Bob; 07-24-2006 at 10:56 AM.

Oh, I thought he was just saying Jenkies... as in "Holy crap" or something like that. Didn't realize it was someone's name. :P

My roommate/occasional lifting partner (bench jockey) lifts his ass off the bench all the time. I pisses me off, I don't know why. I guess because he's not doing himself any good. Some egos die hard.

Unfortunately, some people are only concerned with how much weight is on the bar, and not caring if they are doing it correctly or not.

Dont approach them with the attitude that you know everything, just ask them, "hey, why are you lifting your butt up when you bench, Ive always heard that was bad form, is there a reason you do it?" Lifting his butt makes it easier to do the weight bc it makes it more of a Decline bench, which tend to be easier than flat bench. Maybe you can tell him that after they give you whatever excuse they are going to give, but maybe they wont have one, they may be mis-informed.
    5' 9" 200lbs, 12% body fat
    Bench - 370 x 1, no shirt
    - 225 x 28, no shirt
    Squat - ----
    Deadlift - ----
    40 yds - 4.42 sec

Unless I think someone is 100% for sure going to injure him/herself, I usually don't bother to offer advice in most gyms - it is almost always unwelcomed.

Jinkies is a jerk, but his reaction is typical. Most people will not listen to someone dispensing advice in the weight room unless they are very strong or at least built. Does that mean if you are weak or skinny you can't give advice? Of course not, but don't be surprised if they react like Jinkies.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

unless the advice is a terrible one, i don't understand why you would laugh at him. It's not about how much weight you lift, it's how much you know and how you lift that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 1r15h
    Ive got 605 on the bar and a guy next to me with 200 doing sets of 3 is trying to give me squatting advice im going to laugh in his face. Id laugh if you said what you posted to my face. Im just trying to tell him to be carefull cause not everyone is open to criticism; I dont always go by stronger but those with experiece. If hes 200 pounds cause hes old and has lifted for years and doesnt want to damage joints then I'll grab a pen and paper and write down everything; if hes my age trying to talk to me Ill tell him shut up and lift. Im just trying to point out that even if hes using bad form if ur weaker then him even using right form hes not going to lift cause obviously he doesnt understand the concept of form to know your stronger.

Edit: I am a jerk, only cause I dont have patience when people miscomprehend my posts.
    Last edited by Jinkies; 07-24-2006 at 02:35 PM.

Not that I knew what he said but what if he had seen something in your form that you missed? What if it was something as simple as just spreading your knees at the bottom? Sounds stupid but even though he ain't squatting all that much another set of eyes never hurt. What if he's trained under some knowledgable folks?

I always give people the benefit of the doubt. I've been lifting a long time but have just started to realize that everybody has something to offer.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    I always give people the benefit of the doubt. I've been lifting a long time but have just started to realize that everybody has something to offer.
    Ask him where he learned his advice. If it's "my fat assed high school gym teacher" then you might want to pass on it and correct him. There's no need to be an ******* and who know's you might end up teahcing him a thing or two.

I guess I just like the high road

Who cares what other people are doing in the gym and correcting them. **** them. Go lift , get the job done and go home.

As for the butt coming off the bench, I try not to, although sometimes it happens on the last rep or two, no big deal.
    Last edited by powerrack; 07-25-2006 at 11:41 PM.
    Every workout is a new battle
    and I always win

Quote Originally Posted by powerrack
    Who cares what other people are doing in the gym and correcting them. **** them. Go lift , get the job done and go home.

As for the butt coming off the bench, I try not to, although sometimes it happens on the last rep or two, no big deal.
    It'll be a big deal when you hear a snap, crackle and pop from your lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac
    It'll be a big deal when you hear a snap, crackle and pop from your lower back.
    Still waiting for that to happen.
    Every workout is a new battle
    and I always win

Quote Originally Posted by powerrack
    Still waiting for that to happen.
    Well, keep working out with poor form and it will.