Thread: Going to start Westside

Wannabebig Member

Going to start Westside

I have been lifting for football since i started lifting in 9th grade. Now that im not playing anymore i want to start changing my routine. The idea that interests me the most is Simmons' Westside. I did a decent amout of research but still want to make sure i have a solid routine.

Max Effort Squat
    Squat- Sets of three until 3 is unreachable followed by sets of one @90% 1RM( no more than 4 singles)
    SLDL-4x10
    Abs-4x12
    Pullups 3x10

Max Effort Bench
    Bench Same as Squat
    Floor press-4x5-10
    Push press-4x8-10
    Pulldowns 4x8-10
    Bi option-3x8-10
    Tris option-3x12

Dynamic Squat
    Speed squat-8-12 doubles (45% 1RM)
    Good morning-4x8-10
    shrugs-4x8-10
    obliques-4x12

Dynamic Bench
    Spped bench-8-10 triples(50% 1RM)
    Close Grip Incline-4x5-10
    Pushdowns-4x8-10
    Bis-21s

Now i read that you switch up the excersices every two weeks so let me know what you think. And also increase percentage lifts by 2.5% every week
    They say wisdom is wise words spoken by a brother attemptin to open the graves of these mentally dead slaves. ~GZA~

Yeah, that's pretty close. You shouldn't stick with anything for more than 2 weeks for max effort (this is just your first movement on max effort day). I like to use 4 or 5 different ME movements and rotate them every week. You increase the weight on ME days based on feel and keep going until you hit a max. On DE bench days, stick with the same percentage all the time. For DE squat day, you can change the % weekly. There are a lot of ways to do this. I've been doing 50, 55, 60% and rotating every 3 weeks and that's worked pretty well for me. The most important thing to remember is not to try and bust your nut with volume all the time. Basically, hit your hammies, low back and abs hard on your lower days and your tris, lats, and shoulders on upper days.

If you have any specific questions while you're doing this, just ask. There are plenty of guys here who have used or are using Westside training methods and can help you out.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I would just stick with the basic template if I were you - I took a cursory glance over what you had, but it looks like you have changed some things... Lat work seems almost nonexistent...

Do the 9-Week Basic Program as is: http://elitefts.com/documents/9week-...ng-program.htm
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    iil do that 9 week program, but wut % do i do the ME squat/bench
    They say wisdom is wise words spoken by a brother attemptin to open the graves of these mentally dead slaves. ~GZA~

On ME days you should always aim for at least 3 lifts at or above 90% of your max.

I'm not crazy about that template, I would rather alternate DE and ME days instead of doing ME days back-to-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I would just stick with the basic template if I were you - I took a cursory glance over what you had, but it looks like you have changed some things... Lat work seems almost nonexistent...

Do the 9-Week Basic Program as is: http://elitefts.com/documents/9week-...ng-program.htm
    That routine is by Tate; I thought Simmons came up with Westside.

I've read some posts from people on other boards, and they claim squats and bench twice a week caused them to overtrain. Anyone else here have similar complaints.
    "The individual who goes the furthest is generally the one who is willing to do, dare and attempt new things. The sure thing boat never gets far from shore." - Dale Carnegie

"The most important quality is to live the life you want to have, not the life you have." - Dave Tate

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfullment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle, victorious." - Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY87
    iil do that 9 week program, but wut % do i do the ME squat/bench
    On a maximum effort day, you give a MAXIMUM effort and do a max single or triple - it might not be a personal record, but it's supposed to be your best effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kana
    That routine is by Tate; I thought Simmons came up with Westside.

I've read some posts from people on other boards, and they claim squats and bench twice a week caused them to overtrain. Anyone else here have similar complaints.
    Dave Tate is a powerlifter who's trained with Louie Simmons forever and conducts most of the Westside seminars held around the country.

I think it's safe to say that most powerlifters train the squat and almost all train the bench press more than once a week.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Just a few things about the routine you posted ...
    First, make sure you're not doing just bench or just squat on your ME exercise.

What I mean by that is, do squats for 1-3 weeks, then do deadlifts 1-3 weeks, then box squats, and so forth. If you're kind of a beginner you can do fewer exercises and do them for more weeks without overtraining. It will help your muscles learn the movements better and such.

I'd also not bother with 8-12 or 8-10 doubles/triples. Do 8 sets on your speed bench/squat. On bench you'll keep the same weight for a full 9 week period. On squats you can move it up and down as Drew pointed out.

For everything other than ME bench and ME squat, don't switch the exercise each week. Keep it constant and progress for the 9 week period.

A big thing I noticed is that you're doing way too much on your max effort bench day, not to mention you're doing pull-ups possibly the day before. Do ME Bench, Floor Press, Push press and triceps.

Throw some rows onto your dynamic bench day, and switch your bicep exercise to just normal barbell curls and you should be in business.

In another month or so I'm going to start Westside too. So, right now I'm doing a lot of research.

In regards to the floor press, board press, and box squats; is there something I can either use or substitute for these? I work out at Bally's and I don't think these exercises are an option. I thought about using a bench for the box squats, but I'm not sure about the board presses, and floor presses.

Sorry about hijacking your thread, JDNY87. I just didn't feel it was necessary to start a whole new thread for this.
    Last edited by Kana; 07-25-2006 at 12:12 PM.
    "The individual who goes the furthest is generally the one who is willing to do, dare and attempt new things. The sure thing boat never gets far from shore." - Dale Carnegie

"The most important quality is to live the life you want to have, not the life you have." - Dave Tate

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfullment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle, victorious." - Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Kana
    In another month or so I'm going to start Westside too. So, right now I'm doing a lot of research.

In regards to the floor press, board press, and box squats; is there something I can either use or substitute for these? I work out at Bally's and I don't think these exercises are an option. I thought about using a bench for the box squats, but I'm not sure about the board presses, and floor presses.

Sorry about hijacking your thread, JDNY87. I just didn't feel it was necessary to start a whole new thread for this.
    ya for box squats use a bench and for board press you can use anything to subsitute for the box like if your gym has towels, roll a couple of em up and use that, at my school we actually have towels that are rolled up and taped for what we call towel bench.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

For box squats, find some aerobic steps and stack them to the right height. I usually use 4-5 steps with a 45 plate on top as my box. You'll have to mess around until you find the right height for you (everyone is different). Unless you're REALLY tall, a bench just won't work for box squats. It's too high.

For board press, make your own boards and bring them with you. When training alone, I just wear a tight shirt and tuck the boards into my shirt. I would make a 1 board and 2 2-boards (that way, you can stack them to make any height, up to 5. If you put some velcro on them, you can stick em together easier).

For floor press, if they have a power rack, you can do these. If they only have a squat rack, what I do is set the pins so the bar is at the bottom of where my floor press would be and then press it from there. I also like to do DB floor press, which doesn't require a rack.

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    For box squats, find some aerobic steps and stack them to the right height. I usually use 4-5 steps with a 45 plate on top as my box. You'll have to mess around until you find the right height for you (everyone is different). Unless you're REALLY tall, a bench just won't work for box squats. It's too high.

For board press, make your own boards and bring them with you. When training alone, I just wear a tight shirt and tuck the boards into my shirt. I would make a 1 board and 2 2-boards (that way, you can stack them to make any height, up to 5. If you put some velcro on them, you can stick em together easier).

For floor press, if they have a power rack, you can do these. If they only have a squat rack, what I do is set the pins so the bar is at the bottom of where my floor press would be and then press it from there. I also like to do DB floor press, which doesn't require a rack.

Ok, question about the box squats with a bench. I just noticed that you're 5'6, and I'm 6'2. So, do you think the bench would be too high for me?

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I just did box squats today with a bench and it was below parallel for me at 5'10".

Everyone is different, height really doesn't correlate to box height. I would say try sitting on a bench using your squat form and check yourself in a mirror. The crease of your hip should be below the top of your knee.