The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

wife needs help losing weight

Like the title says. So here's the thing, she's been following built's baby got back routine for a couple of months now and she did lose some lbs. but has now come to a hault! She wants to know wheather it's her diet or her lifts. Also she's not in a rush to lose the weigth as long as she loses it constantly She wants to loose about 10 lbs of fat.

oh and here is what her diet looks like..

BREAKFAST 7:00AM
    Whole wheat English muffin
    1.5 large egg whites
    1 oz of low fat cheddar cheese

AM SNACK 10:30AM
    1/2 cup fat/sugar free vanilla yogurt
    1 Special K cereal bar

LUNCH 12:30 PM
    1 whole wheat pita
    2 oz turkey breast
    1oz low fat swiss cheese
    2 cups of lettuce w/ tomatoe, cucumber
    1 oz feta cheese
    4 black olives
    1.5 table spoons salad dressing

PM SNACK 3:30PM
    1/2 cup of pineapple

PM SNACK 6:30PM
    1 scoop protein
    1 cup of skim milk
    1 tblsp natural peanut butter

DINNER
    Broiled chicken breast
    1 cup lettuce w/ tomatoe, cucumber
    1.5 table spoons salad dressing

Total: Calories 1501

Fat: 49gr 30%
    Sat: 15gr 9%
    Poly: 10 gr 6%
    Mono: 12gr 7%

Carbs: 141gr 34%
    Fiber: 15g 0%

Protein: 131gr 36%

HEIGHT: 5'3"
    WEIGHT: 150lbs
    BODY FAT: 28%

Thanks in advanced
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by tdotteg; 07-26-2006 at 07:57 PM.
    [SIZE=".01"][/SIZE][SIZE=".01"][/SIZE][SIZE=".01"]Maintaining/Conditioning
    5'5 146 lbs
    progress pics
    Bench press 315 x 1 Dec. 05 Squat 295 x 1 Dec. 05 Dead Lift405 x 1 Dec 05
    Bench press 325 x 1 Jul. 09 Squat 435 x 1 Jul. 09 Dead Lift 480 x1 July 09
    "No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?"
    "Beef is my favorite animal." -CiteCollegiale

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well she can either lower her cal's a bit and monitor her weight loss, or she can throw in some HIIT training. If she is doing BGB she should be fine lift wise.

We were reading Carb Cycling by Christian Thibaudeau :

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=811783

Are these formulas any different for women? (calorie intake, fat, protein and carbs/day) b/c according to the formulas she would require way more calories. (like 1900 calories/ day to burn fat, 2361 to maintain)

P.S. She does BGB 4 days a week, with 20 min of cardio per day after weight lifting. She usually does HIIT.
    Last edited by tdotteg; 07-26-2006 at 08:35 PM.
    5'5 146 lbs
    progress pics
    "No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?"

Banned
    Weight gain/loss is primarily a function of diet, so I would start there. You can cut the cals by 100-200, but that number seems kind of low to me (could be way off the mark here, though). Her carb intake seems a little high, so maybe there is more water weight that you think. You could also try carb cycling - talk to built for a better answer

its pretty simple. if you're not losing weight, you need to create more of a caloric deficit. you can do that with your diet or with more activity (cardio, etc).

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I tried explaining that to her looong time ago, but she seems to think i'm pulling it out of my ass cuz im not a trainer or a pro :P So i just let her post here or i post here for her so she can get advice from you guys.

thanx
    5'5 146 lbs
    progress pics

Quote Originally Posted by tdotteg
    I tried explaining that to her looong time ago, but she seems to think i'm pulling it out of my ass cuz im not a trainer or a pro :P So i just let her post here or i post here for her so she can get advice from you guys.

thanx
    This is Frank's wife...thanks darling ^^^

I don't see how much more I can cut my calories. My concern is perhaps I am eating too few calories. I don't think it in my best interest to lower my calories anymore than they already are. So the advice I require is; if I should lower my calories, which foods should I remove, or replace with???
    5'5 146 lbs
    progress pics

Diet looks good althoughi think you might have cut calories a little to quick!

I'd up it to 17-1800.

Secondly, are you sure you are not losing weight? If you are doing BGB you might be gaining some muscle under that fat Although the numbers aren't dropping, it's going to help you a ton in the long run!

How long have you been doing this?

For example, when i started my first ever cut at 20%, i lost about 10 lbs in two weeks, then later gained 3 lbs back! Turned out to be 3lbs of muscle.

up the cals a few hundred, diet looks pretty good! Give it more time! Looks like you're doing everything right!

Don't be so quick to keep cutting calories! I know you aren't a guy obviously, but i had a maintenance of over 3500 and rapidly cut down to sub 2000 kcal a day! Next thing you know, i lost all libido, immune function, ability to sleep.. etc etc... Wasn't a good thing!
    Last edited by Eszekial; 07-27-2006 at 10:04 AM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Frank's wife,

The scale is not the ultimate indicator of progress. Gaining or losing weight is based off a simple equation. Calories spent (cardio, being alive, etc.) + calorie intake (food) = Sum X. If Sum X is above your maintenance calories (the amount of calories you eat, based on your activity levels, that yields no change in bodyweight) you will gain weight. If Sum X is below your maintenance calories, you will lose weight.

The ultimate measure of progress is how you look in the mirror. You could take monthly progress pictures of the same poses and see if you're progressing visually. If you're new to either a clean diet, or weight lifting, or both, you will most likely be losing fat but replacing it with muscle, and like stated already in this thread, muscle is heavier and the scale won't reflect your progress accurately! I noticed you have been measuring your bf%, that is also another good way to track your progress, since your goal is to get lean.

That being said, your diet looks great. I would up your protein intake by at least 20g a day so you're getting at least 1g/lb of protein. I'm not sure how knowledgable you are with diet (seems like you're doing pretty good so far though!) but basically ratio's are not of primary importance. You want to consume 1-1.5g protein/lb bodyweight, .5g fat/lb bodyweight and the rest of your calorie needs from carbs (ideally at least 1g/lb bodyweight).

Things to keep in mind. When you train BGB, remember to train heavy. If you are eating in a calorie deficiet, you won't "get big" or "bulky" from lifting heavy, you will simply retain the lean body mass (LBM) that you already have and your body will get it's energy from fat instead. You'll be holding onto all the good stuff and getting rid of all the bad stuff, sounds awesome eh?

If you are sitting at a stand still as far as progress in the mirror or your bf% just won't budge any lower, then you're going to either have to drop calories (I recommend dropping carb calories since they are not essential macronutrients, such as the cereal bar or your english muffin) or if you don't want to change your diet, simply add in some cardio. (200-300 calories a day would do the trick, at least at first)

I hope that helps, or makes sense. Ask if you have any questions, and good luck. You're doing great so far, keep it up!
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.