Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ass to grass squats

Banned

Ass to grass squats

Well, I've started doing free weight squats, and I can only do about 60lbs when I go fully down, but way more if I stop when my legs are parallel to the floor. If I go right down, it doesn't really push my legs to work, I just sit that with bad form tryign to squeeze myself out of the 'hole' (btw, I can leg press 480lbs so i guess it isn't that i have very weak legs). What shall I do?

It'll push your legs. Keep going all the way down. What'll end up happening when you stop at parallel is that you'll stop way above parallel. Pretty much, without fail, people will end up cheating themselves short of depth thinking they are hitting paralle. When you go all the way down, you know you've gone deep enough. Don't short change yourself.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Occupational Hypnomania
    Most people who only do leg press cant do alot on squats, they are 2 different exercise. And if you have good form theres not much you can do but keep working at it and curb that weakness.

Banned
    Alright, will keep tryingg. I may just use the bar for a bit.

Having a good leg press will come in handy down the road. Your problem is likely stability rather than leg strength. Keep squatting low. Add some Good Mornings and weighted situps to blast your core on legs day (GM's for the hammies as well), and you'll get stable and see those numbers climb rapidly.
    Last edited by Patz; 07-12-2006 at 04:58 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Just keep working them and don't give up. Once you can get your technique on the squat in line then the weight will improve quickly.
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

Marnie, how's your ROM on the legpress?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    Marnie, how's your ROM on the legpress?
    MY range of motion is to get my knees to 90 degrees, then push back up. I bring the press right down, that absolutely destroys my knees. Also, what exactly are good mornings?(I read about them but didn't quite udnerstand).

5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Banned
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marnie
    Interesting.
    They're great. My stability went through the roof. My confidence under the bar also shot up because I know I can GM with high enough numbers, that mentally I can conquer higher numbers in the squat.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

For squats you have to go way down beyond 90 degrees. If you can't lift back up from ass the ground then you are using too much weight. Trust me, its far better to start with a lighter weight that you can do ass to floor squats with, then it is to use a heavy weight and only do 90 degree squats. There really is little point to 90 degree squats.

Banned
    Are my knees meant to stay behind the tips of my toes? If so I don't think I'll ever be able to do squats, my knees come way over my toes.

200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    Are my knees meant to stay behind the tips of my toes? If so I don't think I'll ever be able to do squats, my knees come way over my toes.

Why would that matter? Get your hamstrings to touch your calves at the bottom of the rep and you will be fine. GL.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.

This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

wear loose trousers or shorts...mine were a little less forgiving...luckily i train at home
    started june 06
    now weigh 180lbs 5'4
    age 26
    bench 240lbs
    dead 340lbs
    seated shoulder press 85lbs (each arm)

Your knees will most likely come over your toes. But coming WAY over your toes can be a problem and is usually from poor form especially caused by flexibility issues and/or not learning the movement properly from the begining.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Banned
    Just another thing, should I go all the way down on hack squats, or stop at 90? (on the sled)
    Last edited by Marnie; 07-14-2006 at 02:58 AM.

Occupational Hypnomania
    I think most people would tell you to use a barbell for hack squats.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnip
    I think most people would tell you to use a barbell for hack squats.
    I got told the sled is fine for hack squats.

If your a real man/woman, you use barbell for hack squats

and also. www.exrx.net is your friend.
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 07-15-2006 at 06:50 AM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

A good, sled, hacksquat is a great leg exercise. If your going to squat, squat, if your going to pick up bars from the ground, deadlift and if your going to hacksquat use a well designed sled. All this macho "use real weight" bull**** is just that, bull****.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    A good, sled, hacksquat is a great leg exercise. If your going to squat, squat, if your going to pick up bars from the ground, deadlift and if your going to hacksquat use a well designed sled. All this macho "use real weight" bull**** is just that, bull****.
    sorry to rattle your nerves there man.

Using a sled for hacksquats isnt isolating the thighs more than doing barbell hack squats, because there is alot more balance/flexibilty/forearm strength required. Thats why I think barbell hack squats are awesome. You can really feel the burn in your legs (not saying that u cant with a sled) But you know. All i have is free weights, so all i shall use is free weights. Hit more muscles fibres, needs more control, makes me feel in control. Woo yeah! lol.
    But to each his own. As long as you feel confortable with it and are gaining strength with them, use them.
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 07-15-2006 at 12:44 PM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

both machines and freeweights have some overlapping benefits, so use those benefits to your advantage.

Occupational Hypnomania
    I found I could do like 3x the weight on the sled than with the barbell so I figured it was sort of useless, and wasnt really feeling anything either.

is way too skinny!
    The Sled hurts my knees a lot.. the BB isn't as bad in comparison.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough