The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

metabolism crash

i keep seeing this term but i don't fully understand it. Exactly what does this mean? thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

smoothies???

I have read on here the drinking any knid of juice should be avoided....ecspecially when on a cut, becuase of the high sugar. What about smoothies....is that different, or should they also be avoided while trying to cut? thanks.

The bodys survival mechanisms kick in.

Long story short, a fat person can surivice longer in a time of fasting then a skinny person can.

The body WANTS you to be fat.

Cutting calories too hard, too fast, makes it think you are starving!

when you crash, your body fights fat loss hard and ups muscle usage for energy.

Calorie partitioning bagins to lean heavily towards fat. You build fat and lose muscle.

Immune function, libido, growth, all shut down in favor of fat storage.

Very bad state to be in. Personal experience was that i lost libido hard and immune function as well. Sleep state jittery at best.

Very bad place to be.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Quote Originally Posted by BCorn
    I have read on here the drinking any knid of juice should be avoided....ecspecially when on a cut, becuase of the high sugar. What about smoothies....is that different, or should they also be avoided while trying to cut? thanks.
    it's still the same type of sugar. Sugary drinks are generally to be avoided as they are easily ingestible calories, don't fill you up, and can make you fat pretty quick.

But a good answer to your question would require things like knowing your split, goals, experience, diet habits, etc. and what you know about insulin, glycogen, etc etc.

Generalizing this answer would do you more harm then good.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 07-28-2006 at 11:23 AM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

link to my fit day: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...ml?Owner=BCorn

i am currently on the WBB1 routine

my goals for now are to drop some body fat

i have been working out off and on since highschool, but started back up about 2 years ago.

stats:
    5'-9" approx.
    171 lbs. and slowly losing
    20% b.f. i think (using calipers from body builder.com)

up ur calories to 2000-3000 and up ur protein to between 200-300 just eat healthy fats and enough carbs (equalize ur carbs and protein intake) thisll kick ur system... and allow u to gain/maintain muscle while losing fat....

ur losing muscle on ur sub 1000 - 1000 calorie days....

ehscrewdude: thanks for the reply. i have been told that i should up my calories, but I am confused. Originally when i started to try to lose the fat...i did some searches and found that i needed to track my calories on fitday and keep bringing them down until i starting losing 1-2 lb's per week. i had to get my calories this low for the scale to start dropping any at all. if i up them won't i stop dropping my 1-2 lbs per week? thanks for any help.

Yes you will stop losing weight if you up your calories.

But think of it this way... do you REALLY want to go through life with a maintenance of 1400 calories? You'd gain fat every time you went to a birthday party or decided you wanted to eat out with your friends

You have the rest of your life to get to 10% ripped. Give your poor metabolic rate a break from dieting for a month. Just be sure to increase your calories SLOWLY so your body doesn't go "Oh! Food! Glorious food! YEssss! My preciousssssss!" and store every gram you eat as fat after starving for this long.

Edit:And if you're just starting to lose weight ... well... your BMR is probably bargain basement low (like mine) to begin with so stick with it for another few weeks.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 07-28-2006 at 12:01 PM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

i feel like my food choices are descent but my calories are too low.....should i just up the portions? or introduce extra meals and/or snacks?

increase and break down over multiple meals... make most of ur fat come from olive oils and healthy oils like that, increase ur protein, and keep ur carbs around where theyre at...