The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Volume for assistance work

hey guys I was wondering how this looks for volume after my max effort close grip bench.
    Close Grip Bench:
    135x3, 170x1, 195x1, 225x1, 245x1 (PR)
    Dumbell Bench: 140x6, 140x5
    Skull Crushers: 70x6, 70x4
    French Curls: 55x7
    Shoulder Side Raises:40x10
    Shoulder Front Raises:50x12
    Rotator Cuff Raises: 3lbsx20
    Barbell Rows:70x7
    Dumbell Bench Rows:60x10, 60x8
    Weighted Wide Grip Pullups: 10x5
    Underhand Pullups:4
    Hammer Curls:35X7
    4 Sets of Abs
    Bodyweight:190
    My plan for now is to do similar assistance work on speed bench day, gradually increasing the reps and sets while keeping the same weight, or for some excersizes increasing weight while keeping the same reps. Any changes or suggestions? Also, would you guys reccomend keeping the same assistance excersizes for 3-4 weeks, or just rotate them when i stop making progress?
    thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That's an insane amount of assistance exercises. I hope you're not doing that every bench workout.
    Last edited by Guido; 07-27-2006 at 03:54 PM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I agree completely.

You're not doing much of any one assistance exercise. That's the problem - you probably aren't doing enough of any of them for them to do much for your bench. The only thing you'll probably succeed in doing is tiring yourself out. Choose 2 or 3 assistance exercises you are weak at and hammer out a few sets of each.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    thanks guys. I'm assuming you mean 2 or 3 bench assistance exercises, like dumbell bench, and skull crushers. After that would 2 sets of shoulder raises and 2 sets of back (like rows and pullups) be about right?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman
    thanks guys. I'm assuming you mean 2 or 3 bench assistance exercises, like dumbell bench, and skull crushers. After that would 2 sets of shoulder raises and 2 sets of back (like rows and pullups) be about right?
    Yes. Not to say it's bad to rotate between assistance exercises once in a while, but do no more than 3 or 4 to complement your main movement, and do at least 2 sets of each one.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle