Thread: I think I tore my quad

I think I tore my quad

Kind of strange...I just noticed this while sitting here in shorts. The right side quad of my right leg has a huge dent in it, like a chunk is missing. It's not bruised, and it doesn't even hurt, but it definitely did not look like this yesterday. Kind of hard to explain without a pic but I'll do my best. Before, the muscle used to extend down to about an inch above my knee while flexed...and now it's like the whole thing has slid up 3 inches and there is just nothing there. When it's relaxed, I have a dent about 3 inches above my knee...it's about an inch up and down, and 3 inches wide. And this is like an inch deep too.

So I'm just a little freaked out...it does feel weird, but it doesn't hurt, and there is no bruising at all.

I would think you'd have some pain.

Maybe you're leaner, and just noticed?

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

No, not that...the other leg still looks normal. I'm actually bulking right now. I wish I had a camera to post a pic. I showed my roommate and his reaction was basically a "wow what the hell happened?"

.::.:::...:.:..:::::.::.. : Thexile's Avatar
    if you tore it, you'd know. ud hear a loud snap and intense pain, also the following symptoms:

* Swelling, bruising or redness, or open cuts as a consequence of the injury

* Pain at rest

* Pain when the specific muscle or the joint in relation to that muscle is used

* Weakness of the muscle or tendons (A sprain, in contrast, is an injury to a joint and its ligaments.)

* Inability to use the muscle at all
    nemo me impune lacessit

Malteser
    Tumour?

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Maybe you messed something up higher in your leg and the muscle somehow 'slid up', if tahts possible. Deffinatly should get that checked out.

This thread is useless without pics..lol

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by Luke667
    Tumour?

of the concave variety....
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

yeah, i'd like to see a pic. you didn't tear your quad, though. you would be in serious pain if that was the case.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Footballer
    Yeah the quad isn't torn like others have said because there would be excruciating pain and the muscle would ball up in the leg.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Going to the doc on Monday. It's definitely bruised, I'm a hairy bastard and couldn't really tell at first, so I shaved it. So now I have a big dent in my leg and a bald spot.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRic
    Yeah the quad isn't torn like others have said because there would be excruciating pain and the muscle would ball up in the leg.
    I'd hate that to happen. Then I'd have to learn how walk again and...

Well as an update...doc said it's a severe strain and that I can't work out for at least a month. This sweet dent is going to be permanent, possibly with some loss of strength. His explanation was that muscle layers can sometimes tear, but not all the way through and function can still be retained. A tear like this can cause some of the muscle to shift towards one end of the attachment or the other, which is the reason for the dent. Looking from the side and comparing to my other leg, he showed me that I also have a bulge above it...where the muscle ended up.

Maybe it's just my pain tolerance, or that my legs always hurt after squats and I limp around for a few days that kept me from noticing when it happened.

I'm going to keep lifting, I just can't do anything while standing...which sucks but oh well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja
    Well as an update...doc said it's a severe strain and that I can't work out for at least a month. This sweet dent is going to be permanent, possibly with some loss of strength. His explanation was that muscle layers can sometimes tear, but not all the way through and function can still be retained. A tear like this can cause some of the muscle to shift towards one end of the attachment or the other, which is the reason for the dent. Looking from the side and comparing to my other leg, he showed me that I also have a bulge above it...where the muscle ended up.

Maybe it's just my pain tolerance, or that my legs always hurt after squats and I limp around for a few days that kept me from noticing when it happened.

I'm going to keep lifting, I just can't do anything while standing...which sucks but oh well.
    Atta boy!

damn that sucks, good luck with everything
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

so didnt the doc say no lifting for a month and you are still going to work out?

if so isnt that stupid? if i read it wrong my fault

Quote Originally Posted by briancurran01
    so didnt the doc say no lifting for a month and you are still going to work out?

if so isnt that stupid? if i read it wrong my fault
    Well I won't be doing anything for my legs or lower back, basically. No deadlifts, no squats, no standing military press...nothing where I have to stand or use my legs for support. So that leaves bench, seated military press, anything where I can sit or lay down and not put weight on my leg.

Yeah I think you're making a good decision. If it's a really bad tear though isn't there a chance it won't heal properly? Anyway I hope your leg gets better.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I find it amazing you have no pain from all this? I remember watching a UFC fight where the guy's bicep tore and curled up inside his arm, sounds like what you did to your quad... however, he was in serious pain and you say you can still work out?

Hope you figure everything out and have a full recovery. Good luck man.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Oh I have pain all right. I was tieing my shoe before I was about to lift yesterday then went to pick up the bar...got a massive shock in my quad and dropped the damn thing.

It seems that the only time it hurts is if I come up from the bottom of a squat position. I can't even do that with my body weight.
    Last edited by bloodninja; 08-07-2006 at 02:54 PM.