Thread: did zercher squats today

Banned

did zercher squats today

and man do they kill. i only did 135 becuase ive never done them before, but they really hurt my my forearms, i dont think i was holding the bar right in my arms.

yo can defenitely feel it in your quads, i recommend everyone try them atleast once, but probably a couple times to get used to them.

anyone else have similar stories?

They definately have a kick to them the first few times you do them, try locking them in place by flexing the biceps while they are in position. I think that its going to hurt everytime but its all about building up a pain tolerance, but also check you have them in the right position (opposite side of elbow). Also do sets of 5 cause you will find that 200 hurts as much as 300 and your body can't handle much of it no matter how many times its done.

I hate zercher squats. Hate hate hate. I won't go over 225. Make sure to really arch your upper back with them so you don't dump it and F up your arms even more.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

They're a little easier to take if you have an Apollon's Axle or thick barbell. I've heard of people slipping large diameter PVC on the barbell and using that, but I haven't tried it.

Haven't done it for years, but it is a great exercise.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    well with 135 it was uncomfortable but nothing i couldnt handle

for about an hour afterwards my arms still hurt from holding it, but its not so bad now. im sure with some more practice wth them it would do good. reason im doing them is because soon i will be doing strongman training (not like in training for WSM but doing the same stuff they do) and holding a bar in my arms could help with lifts such as husaffel stone and atlas stones.

Zerchers will help with stones somewhat. Your arms will get used to it slowly but surely.

Do zerchers work the quads better than regular squats?

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso
    Do zerchers work the quads better than regular squats?
    No. It's a better deadlift assistance lift than squat assistance lift. It hits your posterior chain hard.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Try wearing a long sleeve shirt (a sweatshirt), or wrapping a towel or something around the bar.

I've also seen folds use a 2x6 as well.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

i want to try these, theres a rediculously strong man on the MMI forums who did a 405 triple with this.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    No. It's a better deadlift assistance lift than squat assistance lift. It hits your posterior chain hard.
    Cool, thanks.