The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

PLEASE help - muscle won't develop!!!!

Hi. For several months, I have been struggling to deal with a problem that basically entails my left pec not growing while my right pec and the rest of my body continues to progress steadily. The problem does not seem to originate in my pec majors, which are relatively even, but in my pec minors. In the attached pictures, showing me with my arms outstretched, you can clearly distinguish a pec minor on the right side, while on the left there is merely a inward curve. If I put my arms back at my sides, my right pec becomes much fuller and broader as the pec minor returns underneath, while my left pec wanes in comparison with no considerable pec minor underneath.

So far, I have tried almost everything to stimulate a response from my left pec minor.

I track my diet on Fitday, Iím consuming about 4400 cal/day with a macronutrient count of around 277/534/146 (prot/carb/fat) on average each day. I have been increasing my caloric intake each week, but because I am seeing growth in all my other body parts, I donít think diet is a direct cause of the lack of progress in my left pec minor. Rather, I feel like it never is stimulated or worked at all whenever I work my chest.

I switched to DBís, lowered weight and focused on form, switched the order of the exercises, changed the exercises, went from 4x6 to 3x8, etc. I also dropped weight and worked on form for triceps and shoulder exercises as well to try to prevent strength differences in my left and right arms from interfering with my chest movements. I am now back on a 4x6 routine of Incline DB Presses, Dips, Flat DB Presses, and DB Pullovers. However, after each of these workouts I still donít see or feel any difference in the left pec minor. Would doing solely incline work help? At this point I don't know where to turn.

This problem arose sometime during the transition from school to summer, when I had to start working out at home. The Olympic DB handles I use at home are much longer than the fixed-plate dumbbells I used at school and this along with a wide bench limits my ROM when DB benching. Also, one of the dumbbells is about half an inch longer than the other, but Iím not sure what to what extent this would affect me. I am considering switching to a palms-facing grip for DB chest press, but am not sure on whether or not it would place more stress on triceps or not.

I donít attribute this to genetics as previously, before I stopped lifting for a while for track, I had no such problems with my chest and could feel the pec minor of both sides of my chest.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I've been searched everywhere for any information that might help me but none of it has seemed to help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    im just gonna go ahead and make this post before anthony says it

gain 50 lbs.

when you were in track, did you lose weight?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    when you were in track, did you lose weight?
    Yes I did, but now I'm a little heavier than what I was before track.

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    im just gonna go ahead and make this post before anthony says it

gain 50 lbs.
    Greathuskie, thanks for your response, but it's not like I'm not already trying to gain 50 pounds. Of course if I could just gain 50 lbs and all my problems would be solved that would be great, but that's not at all what I was asking for. As I said before, I am increasing calories and seeing growth in the rest of my body, so I don't think it's a matter of diet or of gaining 50 lbs. I just want to know possible reasons I can't stimulate my left pec minor at all during my workouts no matter what I try.

Does anyone have ANY idea as to what I'm doing wrong or what I should try? Please help me out, I've been trying to find out what's wrong for several months now but haven't seen anything help.

Quote Originally Posted by def_con_3

. I just want to know possible reasons I can't stimulate my left pec minor at all during my workouts no matter what I try.

Does anyone have ANY idea as to what I'm doing wrong or what I should try? Please help me out, I've been trying to find out what's wrong for several months now but haven't seen anything help.
    Your way over analyzing this pec area first off in your pictures your holding your arms at different angles and secondly who told you you have the genetics for perfect symetry.
    Train, eat, sleep if your not growing tweak with one of the three at a time till you fix the problem.

Just a few common sense suggestions
    Played baseball for a long time as a pitcher and grew major imbalances.

Free weights.
    Weak side first. Only match on right side.
    Stop tripping about it... seriously.
    Hit the weights hard.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Banned
    I'm pretty sure that if you need to use big arrows to point out what you are talking about, no one can tell. I can see every flaw in my body, but not many other people can tell. Keep it simple and everything will fall into place.

Banned
    there really is nothing you can do to stimulate a supporting muscle like that more then you already are (unless someone knows of an isolation exercise for that muscle, then by all means post it). RST said it right, keep it simple and everything will fall into place.

Iron4Life
    Could be as simple as the way you are posing in each "seperate" photo?

And even looking at the 2 seperate photos, there can't be more then a 1/4 inch difference.. I don't think anyone (besides you) can see that without the arrows..

Gain some more mass.. keeping lifting in balance.. don't try to something for one side over the other.. you will create other imbalances.. probably worst.. lol..

And stop looking at it..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    And stop looking at it..
    best advice in this thread

Gamer/Lifter
    Your body will develop naturally allow it too.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

It could be genetic: your pec minor attaches differently on your left side than on your right side.
    Max Lifts:------------------ Goals
    Bench Press: 215lbs------- 250lbs
    Squat:300lbs------------ 300 lbs
    Deadlift: 335------------ 350 lbs
    ----------------------
    Total: 850lbs ---------- 900 lbs

No one will notice when you are 240 pounds at 10% bodyfat.

If they do, come back and ask again.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Dude, you're a mirror image of me- my right pec minor does the same thing. I can't stand it but it's becoming less noticeable as I gain muscle mass overall. I'll put it this way- no one has commented yet, even when they see me shirtless. You're giving yourself a harder time about than it's worth- it's genetic most likely and you can do very little about it.

Out of curiousity, do you have scoliosis? Are your shoulders even?
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    Out of curiousity, do you have scoliosis? Are your shoulders even?
    As far as I know I don't have scoliosis, and my shoulders look pretty even to me. Thanks for the replies, at least now I know there's nothing I can really do besides keep lifting and get bigger.