Thread: Military Press...from the knees?

Military Press...from the knees?

So I workout in my basement and the ceilings are only about 7 feet. I'm about 6, so I normally have to bend my knees quite a bit to do military presses. Today I had a great idea of putting a pad down, getting down on my knees and lifting that way (so I had room). I found it much more isolating to my shoulders, since I wasnt putting any power from my legs/mid section into the lift.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenEff
    So I workout in my basement and the ceilings are only about 7 feet. I'm about 6, so I normally have to bend my knees quite a bit to do military presses. Today I had a great idea of putting a pad down, getting down on my knees and lifting that way (so I had room). I found it much more isolating to my shoulders, since I wasnt putting any power from my legs/mid section into the lift.

Sound like it will be hard on your knees once you start getting heavy.

Anyway I wouldn't do that. Your base (knees) have a smaller surface area than your glutes or feet. This makes your lift more unstable. Your lower back could get additional torque trying to keep the weight stable once you go heavy. I'd use an adjustable bench or something with back support.

get a chair/adjustable bench
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

It does not sound very safe, it's much harder to stabilize from the knees than from the feet. I'm going to go with the advice about the chair to sit on.

Banned
    Sorry to hiajck the thread, but is it ok to do military presses with dumbells up above your head? At home I don't have a rack, so I use dumbells, and when I can't do another rep I put the dumbells down. Will this work?

I'm bringin sexy back lifter4life's Avatar
    yes

Banned
    I found it much more isolating to my shoulders, since I wasnt putting any power from my legs/mid section into the lift.
    does that make it any better then say, a push press, where you do use more muscles then just delts?

whatever happened to the "big compound" theory that so many people preach

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Being the day after, I felt it alot more in my shoulders then normal. I'll give the bench a whirl next week