The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    is way too skinny!

Is this advice good or bad? (Several situations)

So I am at the gym today and.. I get the following advice.. Give me an easy Good advice - Follow it, or Bad Advice - and WHY not to follow it.

1.) Your routine should always be changing
    Meaning, that I should cycle out exercises. Such as week 1 low incline DB Press, week 2 DB Press on a medicine ball, week 3 something else, and then back to week 1 again.

2.) You don't need to bulk to gain muscle, just eat healthy.
    Meaning, eat the food groups, and just eat reasonable, but not a lot, and growth / toning.

3.) Pinch your shoulder blades together when bench pressing
    This was COMPLETELY unheard of, but I tried it, and I felt some muscle pulling in my traps, which I guess was supposed to happen according to the guy. He said "You are using muscles you haven't used before" ... Right.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by John04Civic
    So I am at the gym today and.. I get the following advice.. Give me an easy Good advice - Follow it, or Bad Advice - and WHY not to follow it.

Meaning, that I should cycle out exercises. Such as week 1 low incline DB Press, week 2 DB Press on a medicine ball, week 3 something else, and then back to week 1 again.

Meaning, eat the food groups, and just eat reasonable, but not a lot, and growth / toning.

This was COMPLETELY unheard of, but I tried it, and I felt some muscle pulling in my traps, which I guess was supposed to happen according to the guy. He said "You are using muscles you haven't used before" ... Right.
    1) You can do that, not sure that it matters that much. I usually change up my routine every 6 months or so.

2) You need to eat over maintenance calories to gain weight (muscle or whatever) period. If you're just eating healthy and not counting cals how are you supposed to know if you're eating enough to gain?

3)...
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Quote Originally Posted by John04Civic

1) bull****. you always hear people say this, and that you need to "shock" the muscle. its just not true. your muscles need stimulus and fuel to grow. it doesn't matter how you go about achieving that stimulus.

2) bull****. you don't have to go on some crazy bulk to gain weight, but you must be over your caloric maintenance point to gain weight. most people need a plan to do this, not just eating reasonably. figure out your maintenance point and go over that everyday. how much you go over depends on how fast you want to gain weight.

3) this is actually true. pull your shoulder blades back and keep the back tight.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

1. Not completely true or untrue. Novelty in training is important, but a little can go a long way. If you consider "periodization" as change, then yes, I'd say follow that advice.

2. Well, I'm not a big fan of "bulking" if it means having to follow JM Blakely's Big Boy's Menu Plan http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78823 BUT it depends on your goals. I don't think most people are disciplined enough to monitor their diets carefully enough to put on 100% pure muscle weight.

3. True. Imagine pulling the bar apart or trying to bend the bar while benching - it should help you maintain upper back tightness while benching and help protect your shoulders.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

is way too skinny!
    Alright, thanks for the comments fellas.

I do keep track and I am moving slightly over maintenance every week. I am doing 2800 a day (2500 maintenance right now) and when I stop gaining I will add some more cals. That is my plan.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough