The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    It isn't adding 29 calories per day. It's staying at 200-300 calories a day above the previous week. 29 calories a day does not apply as you're not slowly adding 29 calories a day to reach the 200-300 for the week. I'm not the one with the comprehension problem. I understand you perfecly and I don't agree with your method of mass consumption. Adding 1750 calories a week is not caloric manipulation. It's gorging yourself. Again, you're having a dandy good time sitting behind the computer and laughing at something that nobody said.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-02-2006 at 07:58 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle
    I have no idea how many of you misread that and turned it into poo flinging.
    I just got the funniest mental image.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    It isn't adding 29 calories per day. It's staying at 200-300 calories a day above the previous week. 29 calories a day does not apply as you're not slowly adding 29 calories a day to reach the 200-300 for the week. I'm not the one with the comprehension problem. I understand you perfecly and I don't agree with your method of mass consumption. Adding 1750 calories a week is not caloric manipulation. It's gorging yourself. Again, you're having a dandy good time sitting behind the computer and laughing at something that nobody said.
    Amazing... I don't know how anyone misinterpreted this post:

"If your macros are partitioned correctly and you are living an active lifestyle consider upping the calories by 200-300 a day. That's like two bananas, 1 cup oats, a gatorade, ect. Also, if you're that worried about gaining extra weight by increasing calories you should try and do more cardio."

If you up the calories 200-300 a day, you are taking maintenance calories (2500), and bumping it up by 200 to 2700, and STAYING at 2700, not adding an additional 200 calories to what you ate the previous day, every day. Who would even think someone would suggest that? You would be eating astronomical amounts of food by year's end!!!! lol.

Holy crap...

Ok, Ricochet_kid misinterpreted it first.

Paladyr went off of what Ricochet_kid said and provided the 29 cals/day example.

Scarz went off of what Paladyr said.

It was misintepreted from the start so drop it.

Scarz, I am pretty sure Paladyr doesn't mean 250 extra everyday. "250 per day" means an excess amount of 250 calories above maintenance per day.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 08-02-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    Scarz, I am pretty sure Paladyr doesn't mean 250 extra everyday. "250 per day" means an excess amount of 250 calories above maintenance per day.
    That's what I hope he means because that's the same thing I said multiple times, but every time I say what you just said, he responds with things like this:

If you up the calories 200-300 a day, you are taking maintenance calories (2500), and bumping it up by 200 to 2700, and STAYING at 2700, not adding an additional 200 calories to what you ate the previous day, every day. Who would even think someone would suggest that? You would be eating astronomical amounts of food by year's end!!!! lol.
    So I have no idea what he means at this point and I'm done discussing it.

Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-02-2006 at 09:50 PM.

Wow, does everyone overthink everything. If your eating 2500 calories a day then start eating 2700-2800 per day, for a week. If you don't gain any weight, then go and start eating 2800-3100, for a week. Does everyone get it now?
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Worked out my maintenance @ 2000, so when i start lifting gonna be on roughly 2250 per day, without cardio :S I'm pretty certain lack of cardio is gonna be a bad thing

-Steele

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Again, you're having a dandy good time sitting behind the computer and laughing at something that nobody said.
    ROFL. Man this was a funny debate. Scarz, you're awesome.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Well if someone laughed, then I have accomplished my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    Worked out my maintenance @ 2000, so when i start lifting gonna be on roughly 2250 per day, without cardio :S I'm pretty certain lack of cardio is gonna be a bad thing

-Steele
    Just do tabata thrusters! those count as cardio!

LOL, this is hilarious,
    It is my first time back. I didnt' mean to get you guys all tied in a knot. On second reading I guess I just misinterpreted sharkall's post, but I have seen/heard worse advice given than adding 1750 per week so it's not that impossible that someone might suggest it, even though it is ludicrous.
    Even in Berardi's first massive eating article(s) I think he suggested a large sudden increase like that, it wasn't until the second version of those articles that he suggested to ramp up more reasonably.

Are you joking? Your stomach needs time to adjust to new bulk. And adding 250 calories a DAY is not the best way to go about seeing how your body reacts to caloric intake. It is a trial and error process. Adding 1750 calories a week is a bit insane.
    - That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Okay, semantics.
    Add 200-300 calories to your day for a week, then another 200-300 calories. So, for example, if you're currently eating 2500 calories a day, go to 2750 a day for a week or two, then go to 3000. If you gain too fast, don't increase. If you stall, increase again.
    - Thank you Built.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladyr
    Suggesting someone bulk by eating an extra grape a day is hilarious.
    - Words of wisdom for sure. :-)

"Hope is a good comforter in the hour of danger, and when men have something else to depend upon, although hurtful, she is not ruinous. But when her spendthrift nature has induced them to stake their all, they see her as she is in the moment of their fall, and not till then."
    - The Athenians to the Melians

Quote Originally Posted by Steele

-Steele
    if you're worried about cardio.....and you REALLY want to do it...just add some HIIT a couple times a week....just make sure you eat more on those days....

and the whole 200-300 a day calorie debate was fun to watch....

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse