Thread: help a noob?

Wannabebig Member

help a noob?

ok, i want to start on weightlifting to increase strength and vert. size and all second.

so, here are some questions that i need guidiance.

squats, i currently pump 80kgs. the problem is this, my abs and hips get sore and my legs arent even started to get worked.. currently i squat to a sitting posistion and up. before my legs even can get worked and my hips give way. and i have terribly weak upper body strength (noob) so very minimal shoulder trap muscle thus there is a limit to my weight. 80 is the max i can go. should i continue on till my body suits 80kgs or my technique is wrong?

crunches, am i supposed to lift my body a little or just contract the abs?

and ya, each time i go to the gym i dont really feel worked. my muscles are sore at times but nothing tiring, and thus far i've only sweat little. most is on squats. do i need to really burn my self to see results?

and on the weight limit, when should i stop? cause each time i lift my hands feel worked, then i stop after like 10 mins its ok again. so should i increase weight or continue with the current set?

currently i squat to a sitting posistion and up.
    Sounds like you are not doing your squats correctly.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Sounds like you are not doing your squats correctly.
    i remember reading somewhere that you squat to the bench and up.

so its all the way?

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by +3kk!
    i remember reading somewhere that you squat to the bench and up.

so its all the way?
    So what does "squat to the bench" mean? you have a bench behind your butt and squat down to it?

Try ATF Squats.. that's AssToFloor.. your hamstrings should touch your calves as you go way below parallel.

When you do this, lessen the weight you are currently squatting and work on your form.

If you have a question on form, try the links in my sig and watch some videos. If you have additional questions on ATF Squats, please search WBB.. .there are a lot of threads on ATF Squats.

Good luck.. and welcome aboard..

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    So what does "squat to the bench" mean? you have a bench behind your butt and squat down to it?

Try ATF Squats.. that's AssToFloor.. your hamstrings should touch your calves as you go way below parallel.

When you do this, lessen the weight you are currently squatting and work on your form.

If you have a question on form, try the links in my sig and watch some videos. If you have additional questions on ATF Squats, please search WBB.. .there are a lot of threads on ATF Squats.

Good luck.. and welcome aboard..
    ya, bench behind and squat towards the bench. not touching but that height, sorta like a horse riding posision.

thanks about the ass to floor i'll try it tomorrow.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You should only do ATF squats if you have a short femur or you're flexible enough.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-01-2006 at 10:38 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    You should only do ATF squats if you have a short femur or you're flexible enough.
    ok now i am confused, the vids i've seen recently most of them are quite ass to floor..and its wrong?

so what should i do

I like to start with front squats, its alot easier to work your form with. Are you pretty flexible? Your hamstrings are taxed a great deal when squatting below paralell, you do not want to damage anything.

Iron4Life
    ok now i am confused, the vids i've seen recently most of them are quite ass to floor..and its wrong?

so what should i do
    3kk.. do ATFs.. learn them now..
    I don't know what the heck Scarz is saying.. I think he lost he train of thought.. lol

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You can either do ATF (Ass-To-Floor) squats or squats where your thighs are parallel. ATF squats are considered FULL squats, but you should only do them if you are able. You'll find yourself wanting to round your back during ATF squats but DON'T. Never round your back. Get the form down solid before upping the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    +3kk!
    I don't know what the heck Scarz is saying.. I think he lost he train of thought.. lol
    I meant what I said. And I'm not laughing.

I don't see where the confusion came from. Either way is fine, but if you can do ATF squats, do them.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-02-2006 at 02:44 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    I like to start with front squats, its alot easier to work your form with. Are you pretty flexible? Your hamstrings are taxed a great deal when squatting below paralell, you do not want to damage anything.
    i tried it today, ya i can do it..........but my legs feel taxed yet after a while its ok. and i remember reading somewhere that squats have nothing to do with hamstrings.

i've been doing the paralell squats then, but nothing much....my legs dont even feel worked