Thread: How do you use lifting straps?

How do you use lifting straps?

I just got these free lifting straps from bodybuilding.com and I don't know what to do with them. Any tips on how to use them?

you put them on so that the strap lays on your palm. you then wrap the strap around the bar. try to get the strap as tight as possible to the bar so that it works like a hook. it will put some pressure on your wrists, but you should be able to lift more weight.

most of the articles i have read on the matter say that using your own grip is more beneficial.

hope that helps!

Hrm,

I'll play the devil's advocate here for a second. It may be more beneficial for grip/forearm, but if you're using them to deadlift or pullups, then I think they are worth while. You can work forearms seperately and get better pull for your back.

Anyways, they're going to look like this when you have them together

sort of like the number six. Make sure you have the straight part running up your PINKY side, not your thumb side. You'll grip better on pinky side.

Good luck.

Thorazine

This site has a couple of videos you can download on how to use them (although, it seems a bit unnecessary as I don't think they're very complicated). Also, in the first video, the guy pus the straps on with the straight side on the thumb side (which is wrong). I don't think it makes a huge difference, but I would agree with Thorazine and say to have the straight part on the pinky side. Also, make sure you begin wrapping the strap on the opposite side of the bar (as seen in the video), otherwise the strap won't be doing much.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Originally posted by Thorazine
    Hrm,

I'll play the devil's advocate here for a second. It may be more beneficial for grip/forearm, but if you're using them to deadlift or pullups, then I think they are worth while. You can work forearms seperately and get better pull for your back.

Thorazine

This would be good for somebody who's grip is too weak to hold the weight. I think increasing grip strength and training without them is the way to go. I have not used straps in the longest time and I never have grip issues in my training anymore.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I use straps on deads. Then again, I go fairly high rep at heavy loads (Not that that's an excuse....). I have no doubt I'd have the grip strength to pick up 500 for a double or single, but even more than five reps at 400 would start to fatigue my hands way too much, and when my grip falters, my form goes to sh*t.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Awwwww
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by Belial
    I use straps on deads. Then again, I go fairly high rep at heavy loads (Not that that's an excuse....). I have no doubt I'd have the grip strength to pick up 500 for a double or single, but even more than five reps at 400 would start to fatigue my hands way too much, and when my grip falters, my form goes to sh*t.
    Same here. I don't use them on singles-triples, but anything more than that is just too damn heavy right now.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by LATMAN
    Awwwww
    :withstupi
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I have been using them a different way for deads, and it seems to work better for me. The "6" way you guys just described actually makes it harder for me for some reason.

Personally, I wrap the one part around my wrist (so I dont cutt of the circulation in my hands) then I loop the loose end around the bar. I then bring the loose end up and grab it in my hand and hold it. The bar dangles in the loop made by the straps.

This is the ONLY way that has ever worked for me on deads. When I say worked I mean it has allowed my back to give out before my grip. It sounds wierd, but It works for me.

Originally posted by the_hall
    I have been using them a different way for deads, and it seems to work better for me. The "6" way you guys just described actually makes it harder for me for some reason.

Personally, I wrap the one part around my wrist (so I dont cutt of the circulation in my hands) then I loop the loose end around the bar. I then bring the loose end up and grab it in my hand and hold it. The bar dangles in the loop made by the straps.

This is the ONLY way that has ever worked for me on deads. When I say worked I mean it has allowed my back to give out before my grip. It sounds wierd, but It works for me.
    doesnt the strap slip out of your hands?
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Originally posted by Orange357

doesnt the strap slip out of your hands?
    It stays in better than the bar did when I did it the other way. I used this method for the first time last time I did deads and it worked.

I dont see how the other way even works. You are basically still holding the bar, it is just you have a strap around your hand and the bar, all your doing is holding the bar, plus you are holding a wad of strap.

I cant do shrugs with straps, i find I am better off just squeezing the hell out of the bar.

I use lifting hooks so to speak. Wrap tightly around your wrist and have a metal hook that basically sits in your palm. Hook goes around the bar and REALLY assists in the weight that youre lifting.

thanks for the info guys, I think I'm gonna at least try the straps next time I do deads. I did them today and scraped up my right shin from my weight glove that sucks but its all worth it.

Originally posted by the_hall

It stays in better than the bar did when I did it the other way. I used this method for the first time last time I did deads and it worked.

I dont see how the other way even works. You are basically still holding the bar, it is just you have a strap around your hand and the bar, all your doing is holding the bar, plus you are holding a wad of strap.

I cant do shrugs with straps, i find I am better off just squeezing the hell out of the bar.
    The other way works (assuming you wrap the strap properly) because your grip is pulling against the strap and thus some of the weight is transferred from the strap to your wrist.

I did a lot of experimenting with grip/forearm training before I made the plunge to get straps. No matter what I did my grip always seemed to give out before the rest of my body. Maybe my forearms just don't have the endurance the rest of my body has...

Originally posted by AllNatural
    thanks for the info guys, I think I'm gonna at least try the straps next time I do deads. I did them today and scraped up my right shin from my weight glove that sucks but its all worth it.

You were mad you scraped your shin?? Anytime I do a set of deads for reps my shins either bleed or get long-ass redmarks on them. That shows you did the job.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I've got a healthy case of Deadlift Shins too.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

You pussies...Straps are for pussies. Belial can't hit 5 at 400? Awwwww.........poor baby. I can

Maybe I should donate my free straps to arnold's special olympians